WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle - Page 2

Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome back widgitmaster! The workmanship in your projects is always top notch.

Jason

Thanks Guys!

Today I'm going to setup the mill to square the ends of the six leg tubes, to do this i'll remove the big vise, and place the 12x9x6 angle plate on the mill. Then I'll put my side plate with end stop on the angle plate, and position it all on the table so the 3" face mill can power feed across the end of the tube. Next, I marked the location of the angle plate with a Sharpie Pen. Now I can extend & rotate the turret so the spindle is in the center of the tube. After locking the turret bolts, I removed the angle plate and pushed it out of the way!
    In order to get really accurate squareness on the ends of the tubes, i'll need to tram the mill's head at this new location! To do this I'll se a 12" diameter steel disk from the lathe. as its been cut & ground perfectly flat & parallel! I placed the disk in same location as the Sharpie lines, and put a dial indicator in the spindle. After sweeping the circle and getting 4-zeros, I' lock the head bolts and put the angle plate back!
    All I needed was a square to align the angle plate, because the center is not critical.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_028-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_029-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_030-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_031-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Next, I milled one end of all six leg tubes, until they were flat & square.
    Then I took the shortest of six and milled the opposite end.
    After measuring. I saw the tube was over 1/8" too long, and decided not to remove all that material!
    So I placed a dial indicator on a magnet on the back of the mill, and set it at zero, along with the dial on the mill's knee. This way, when as the part gets shorter, the dial will start to move as the knee-zero gets closer! It's an early warning device, as some of the tubes were cut on an angle with a high point of .2"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_032-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_033-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_034-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_035-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Now that all six tubes are the same length, I'll need to put a heavy fillet around the inside perimeter of the tube ends. This will be for welding the 1/2" thick steel plugs I made the other day! After the plugs are welded, I'll have to re-mill the ends and make them all the same length again!
    Then I'll drill & tap one end for the adjustable leveling feet!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_036-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_037-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_038-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_039-jpg  

Last edited by widgitmaster; 06-12-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added picture
    www.widgitmaster.com

Today I band sawed a 45 Deg angle on the ends of six 2" x 2" tubes, they will be the bottom the the router's work area!
    Next I setup a quick & dirty stop on my mill to help support the long tubes while I milled the 45 Deg to a length of 60"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_040-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_041-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_042-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_043-jpg  

WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_044-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great work.

I would have stopped after cutting the 45 deg on the saw but you take the time and effort to perfect the cut.

What is the sidewall thickness of the square tubing?

It looks really thick. My 4" square tubing is about 1/8" thick.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marsha View Post
    Great work.

I would have stopped after cutting the 45 deg on the saw but you take the time and effort to perfect the cut.

What is the sidewall thickness of the square tubing?

It looks really thick. My 4" square tubing is about 1/8" thick.

Jason

Hi Jason!
    The last six tubes were 1/8" wall, but the other 2" & 3" tubes are 1/4" wall!
    I want this router to be FAST & strong!

I've been looking at both Stepper & Servo systems, I like the Servos for the speed!

Stepper Motor System
    Power Prep Module 80 volt, 20 ampere 1x PMD,Inc. PMDX-135 $119.00
    Nema 23 400 oz/in Stepper Motor 4x Geckodrive G723-400-4 $236.00
    Stepper Motor Driver 4x Geckodrive G203V $588.00
    Multi-Mode Breakout Board 1x PMD,Inc. PMDX-126 $174.00
    Spindle Control Interface 1x PMD,Inc. PMDX-106 $89.00
    Total: $1,087.00

Servo Motor System
    Power Prep Module 80 volt, 20 ampere 1x PMD,Inc. PMDX-135 $119.00
    NEMA23 350 Oz/in Peak Torque 60vdc Servo 4x HOMESHOPCNC $600.00
    Digital Servo Drive 4x Geckodrive G320X $484.00
    Multi-Mode Breakout Board 1x PMD,Inc. PMDX-126 $174.00
    Spindle Control Interface 1x PMD,Inc. PMDX-106 $89.00
    Total: $1,347.00

www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

You're probably going to want to go with Nema 34 motors for this monster. Imo, the motors you mention in the previous post will be on the small side.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

You may want to look into the dmm tech servo setup. They are ac servos but they should be just as easy to setup and around the same price ballpark. You are a true craftsmen. Its nice to see people who know how to achieve such high quality results in a manual setup in this day and time.

Ben

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow 1/4" inch sidewall, that puppy is going to be a monster!

Back in post #23 third picture, that is the biggest vernier caliper I have seen. I did not know they came that large.

Jason

Hi Gerry
    Thanks for the heads-up on the NEMA 34's

Thanks Ben!

Jason, That's my 48" vernier caliper! Many times I wish I had a 72" !!
    There will be allot of 3/8"-16 threads in the side walls, and I didn't want to weld solid plugs at every location!

I don't have any experience with Servo's, but the Gecko driver looks & connects just like the Stepper driver!
    That simplicity is worth paying a little more for!

www.widgitmaster.com

Today I finished drilling the holes in the ends of the long tubes with the 45 deg ends.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_045-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_046-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_047-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Next I made the base plates for the gantry ends, this assembly will go to the welder!
    After Drilling & c-boring all the holes, I added one more 3/8-16 hole so a long threaded rod could clamp the pieces together!
    It's easier for me to maintain location and squareness!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_048-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_049-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_050-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_051-jpg  

WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_052-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_053-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_054-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well it looks like its about time for shrimp parm!!!

John

The shrimp dinner was delicious! Thanks John!

The gantry ends and the six legs went out to the welder this afternoon!
    That feels like progress!

www.widgitmaster.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh hell yes, Welcome back WidgitMaster !!!!!!!! All hail the Widgitmaster !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZipSnipe!
    That's a name I haven't seen in a while

www.widgitmaster.com

The welder called me around noon, told me the welding was all finished! WOW!
    An hour later it was in my garage

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_058-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_059-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_060-jpg   WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle-9x5_router_061-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good, you made it too easy for him interested to see how much warpage occurred during welding.

Sent from tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
    Looks good, you made it too easy for him interested to see how much warpage occurred during welding.

Sent from tapatalk
    Not too worried about warping, as I plan to machine all critical surfaces prior to drilling & reaming dowel pin holes!

www.widgitmaster.com

Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast