Build Thread Dirks 4x8 CNC Router Parts Build - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dirks 4x8 CNC Router Parts Build

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cjsamples View Post
    Just wanted to say I am enjoying the videos. I have had my share of unexpected issues as well. I thought for sure I could stop a code and adjust something, only to find out that didn't work so well........
    Glad it was only some plywood.

Keep up the posting as I am wanting another machine, not sure what yet, but just another one.

Chris
    Thanks for the compliments and for sharing that you have also made some mistakes... I felt pretty stupid when I made that mistake . It is bound to happen though when you are developing new gcode.

I also want another machine... I am thinking of converting a metal lathe or maybe a combo machine like the patriot or something.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have done similar a few times. You haven't run a cnc machine until you have done similar Those carbide router bits have no trouble cutting steel. I have crashed and cut clean through some steel toggle clamps a couple times. Once without breaking the bit.
    I have cut quite a bit of aluminum on purpose with my router.

Just yesterday I was using a new Onsrud router bit for some polycarbonate. I bought it as a 3/16" bit. I have to cut 3/16" dados in some of this. After the first run, the dado was indeed too narrow. Check the bit diameter. It is .176" rather than .1875". That is a big difference for a brand new bit. Maybe it's metric or something, but marked as 3/16" too. OOOPs. So, lesson learned. Always measure rather than assume the bit size.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Check out this small project

All,

I've started to make projects now with the router. Here's a small example. I have been doing some step by step videos.

Also, I've also started to put together a website that I can host all my projects from. Come visit at: 21stcenturywoodworking

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would like to try your "pogo pin" sensors for homes on my build, I agree that the proximity switches are not very accurate for homing.. I think I may use them for Limits.. have plenty of inputs on my candcnd.com BobIII..
    Do you sell the parts to make the Pogo pin switches??

Best Regards,

Dale Helmick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, congrats on your new machine. I actually just finished building my own CNCRP 4896 as well. I am still sorting out some bugs though... did you have spacing issues with the X-axis pinion gear? I spaced my rails according to the instructions and my pinion gears actually rubbed on my aluminum extrusion, CNCRP answer was to use washers to space the motor mount bracket out from the gantry carriages. After using the machine for about a week I think that I have determined the washer spacing solution is not working well as it introduces a little bit of play into my system. Long story short can you tell me how much your rails overhang your extrusion on the motor side of your x-axis?

As for your homing solution, I think it looks great and am very interested. I am also concerned about the sensors that I purchased from CNCRP. They sit pretty unprotected on the ends of the table and could easily be knocked out of alignment. It also concerns me that they are "active low" meaning that if they lost power for any reason they wouldnt work and you would not know till your machine crashed into the end of your table.

Anyway, I am subscribed to your thread and plan to read back through it when I get more time. I need to figure out a dust collection system similar to what you rigged up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dirk

Are the pogo pin switches NORMALLY CLOSED ?
    I mean are these pogo pin switches fail safe open ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123