Build Thread 5-Axis CNC Design

Thread: 5-Axis CNC Design

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 5-Axis CNC Design

Hello All!

As the title says; This is a new build of a 5-axis cnc router. It will be quite big,
    hoping to get a workarea of about 2500mm x 1500mm and a good height.
    My first goal is to design the machine perfectly in CAD, before I start building.

Littlebit about myself:
    My name is Håvard Kristiansen, born 1986 in Norway. I finished my engineering
    degree in 2011, and am currently doing a masterdegree in productdesign.
    Before I took my engineering degree, I worked for a couple years as a certified
    mechanic on automation machines.

About two years ago I started a build thread here at the forum, but because
    lack of time and effort, I didn`t finish it. Since this new idea I have is totally
    different, I decided to start a new thread again. Hopefully I will complete this
    time!

As of now I have drawn up a consept of the main frame as seen on the picture.
    The idea is that it has to be easy to mount and dissasemble into resonnable
    smal pieces, but not too many. The frame is made of 100x100mm and
    100x50mm steeltubes, boltet together with M10 bolts and nuts.

Whats next is do decide which spindle I will use, so that I can start with the
    b/c-head design. I have done some research on spindles, but there is alot out
    there.... My plan is to mill in wood, foam and light metals. I am also open for
    automatic tool change if the prize is right. What spindle do you guys
    recommend?

Best regards
    Håvard Kristiansen

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5-Axis CNC Design-frame-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am alittlebit uncertain about the y- and z-axis, so for a start today I just made a screenconsept.
    Im not very happy with it, but it will do for now! Found a screenshot of Mach3 on google
    and did this rendering.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5-Axis CNC Design-frame-02-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thinking abou my B/C- head, I really want to use something like this (see photo). Anybody used a Harmonic drive? It seems that it is a servo, gear and fixture in one.... Sadly I havent gotten a prize for the dealer yet... 5-Axis CNC Design-imageuploadedbytapatalk1339518302-238055-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default B/C

Quote Originally Posted by havardak View Post
    Thinking abou my B/C- head, I really want to use something like this (see photo). Anybody used a Harmonic drive? It seems that it is a servo, gear and fixture in one.... Sadly I havent gotten a prize for the dealer yet... 5-Axis CNC Design-imageuploadedbytapatalk1339518302-238055-jpg
    Hi Havard,

Very ambitious! I love it! I am also in the market for a B/C unit. After reading the forums for over a few months, I keep coming back to the doughty drive. I have not purchased it yet because my router build is still in its infant stages, but I am starting to really consider this unit for an addon.
    DoughtyDrive

Just throwing it out there. Good luck!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Op4 View Post
    Hi Havard,

Very ambitious! I love it! I am also in the market for a B/C unit. After reading the forums for over a few months, I keep coming back to the doughty drive. I have not purchased it yet because my router build is still in its infant stages, but I am starting to really consider this unit for an addon.
    DoughtyDrive

Just throwing it out there. Good luck!
    hey op4,

did you get the doughtydrive b/c unit?
    im looking to buy and wanna get some feedback from somebody using this unit.

thanks
    Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rockingchris View Post
    hey op4,

did you get the doughtydrive b/c unit?
    im looking to buy and wanna get some feedback from somebody using this unit.

thanks
    Chris
    Yes sir! and I love it! Extremely accurate, easy to install and I cannot even measure backlash. I have been using one for rotary right now and my dreams are coming true.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

that machine base looks familiar. I think there's another guy on this forum custom building one just like it.. I think he is fabricating all the 5 axis components himself awesome build i have to find it ill post the link for you to see.

Joes cnc 4x4 sold
    new build in progress cncrp 2448

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cambosoup99 View Post
    that machine base looks familiar. I think there's another guy on this forum custom building one just like it.. I think he is fabricating all the 5 axis components himself awesome build i have to find it ill post the link for you to see.
    Was it not "Bartuss" or something like that . I think he is from Poland and he built a couple huge machine in his driveway!!! Everyone was impressed!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm also user of daughty's BC head (previous design), but in my case I had to do some modifications on it, because I attached on it 1,5kW 3-phase HSD spindle, which weight is ~6kg, to minimize vibrations during milling harder wood materials.
    I know I could mill with lower speeds and less material cut by pass etc ... but that way didn't pay off, as I don't use my machine only for hobby...

I'm also missing an option for servos on this head, as this are the only steppers on my machine, and it could be a bit difficult to retrofit them as they have extended axes due to head gearing design.

So if you are planing to mill softer materials, then this is absolutly very good product or its price!

For machine controller I would suggest linuxcnc or if money is not a problem, a commercial controller which include 5 axis TLC, that will make you g-code programming lot easier.

Downloads
    Uploads

hey tomax, what build did you put the doughty drive onto?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Havard and all,

Looking great, I'm interested to see what you come up with for the gantry arrangement etc.

While your all on the subject of B/C head..... I came across this guy in AUS.
    well worth a look , he sells the drawings and part files etc for his setup for $100...even if it's for a few ideas it could be money well spent. you will see it's a very lightly built machine though.

Mike Calvino Architect Calvino Architecture Studio inc. CNC plasma router

Buy CNC Design Build Files Calvino Architecture

I myself haven't gotten to rebuilding the B/C head.....it seems 5 axis for me has been more of a want than a NEED with the work I've been doing to date, so has slipped down the priority list somewhat.

One suggestion I would like to make and one I'll do to my own machine one day, is to place the X axis linear slides down the outside of the machine rather than on the top. I've found it very hard to come up with any kind of dust protection for the rails....unless I'm willing to loose travel or extend the overall length of the machine to instal a bellow system.

having them on the sides makes it easier to have a simple folded sheet guarding etc. to protect them from falling dust.....something to keep in mind anyhow.

SPINDLE:

I run HSD 4.5 kw

for ATC check this out if you haven't allready come across it
    Midwest Rapid Tool

Have fun!

Liam

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/101936-5_axis_build_full_steam.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by diegope View Post
    hey tomax, what build did you put the doughty drive onto?
    From Daughty I bought B/C head with plans for machine construction, and that I used for my starting point of machine contruction, then redraw, resize, modify in CAD ... and what I came up with is something similar to THIS built.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Another ATC spindle option

Sorotec - Fräsmotoren

albeit small

Cheers Liam.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/101936-5_axis_build_full_steam.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Any progress here Havardak?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 5-Axis CNC Design

Hello there

help me help me
    You need a 5-axis kit. Can you help me

gokhanmeral@gmail.com