Build Thread Big Bamboo - New Machine Project Started - Page 31

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Big Bamboo - New Machine Project Started

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Big Bamboo - New Machine Project Started

Forgot to add the happy end...
    I cut the "lithophane" (although it rather looks like an old style b&w film slide) to size and made a frame for it.
    As a fun effect I let a bunch of the car's 3-d mini-models race around the frame (canary wood). For now I set it into the corner of my office window but need to find a better place.

Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

Downloads
    Uploads

Just binge-watched this thread and I have to bow down in awe - The machine is superb and the results you are getting out of it are mind-blowing.
    Just one question: What the heck are you going to do for an encore ???

Last edited by MadAubrey; 09-23-2016 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Spelling (as usual)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MadAubrey View Post
    Just binge-watched this thread and I have to bow down in awe - The machine is superb and the results you are getting out of it are mind-blowing.
    Just one question: What the heck are you going to do for an encore ???
    Ha! Good question....
    For a while I worked on the design of a smaller, lower cost CNC that can be operated horizontally (like usual) and tilted up vertical to machine larger (thicker) parts from the side. I have all the linear THK style bearings, ballscrews, closed loop steppers with drives and motion controller in a box waiting to be used, some $1500 worth of stuff.
    But I realized that I would not have the space for it and that my BigBamboo machine does really all I need to do so I just stopped working on the smaller version.

For that reason I can not really answer the question. Right now I just do what looks interesting to me and may change my mind tomorrow and start something else. Like mentioned earlier I am a hopeless case of project ADHD.

Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, no new machine but maybe an update on my latest project....(series of 3 picture posts)
    I want to build a functional wooden garden cart, something like a 2-wheeled wheelbarrow and I want it completely made from wood, without screws, nails and bolts. To be sure it can be done I started making a wheel over the weekend, kind of like the old wagon wheels, 24" diameter and 16 spokes. Lacking the iron hoop (and having a CNC router at hand), I made the rim segments interlock with dovetails and crooked the spokes to achieve a double dish spoke layout (like a radially spoked bicycle wheel)for better rigidity. I used simple 3/4" pine board from HD for cost reasons.

I think it came out quite nice. Now I need to make another one and build the cart box.

Cutting 2 of 16 rim segments (1-sided):

Custom vacuum pod to hold the segments:

Cutting 2 of 4 hub discs (2-sided):

Cutting 4 of 16 spokes (2-sided):

to be continued...

Downloads
    Uploads

Next pictures...

All parts completed:

Starting the rim assembly:

First side dish of spokes:

- - - Updated - - -

Next pictures...

Trueing up and chamfering on the lathe (sometimes it is good to have a lathe with 24" diameter capability).

Wheel complete and finished with unpigmented stain:

The rim is deeply grooved to install a bicycle tire:

wow...fantastic and ingenious!

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice joinery Mr. Wainwright!

Downloads
    Uploads

You have a hammer with a built-in bottle opener? Want!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm looking at the images and thinking that's really neat. Then scroll down and see a big General lathe. That's not fair!!! All I have is a small midi lathe that can only turn a 8" diameter bowl. I do want a big lathe one day.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jerry -

How do you design your parts? I mean with what program?

I'm always amazed by what you've built.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    .....How do you design your parts? I mean with what program?......
    I use IronCAD. This is a 3D-design solution similar to Solidworks, SolidEdge or ProE/CREO. Unfortunately similarly expensive but I have it already for a long time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    Very nice joinery Mr. Wainwright!
    I had to look up the "wainwright". I knew the cartwright and the wheelwright and compared to these craftsmen I feel like cheating with the CNC machine. Oh well.

Some more progress. I will post more pics when the whole thing is complete with handle and everything.

Downloads
    Uploads

Final update for this project, this is complete.

Rear view with legs down:

Legs up:

Standing upright:

Downloads
    Uploads

I had several people ask for the design files of the cart and specifically the wheels and I have no problem sharing that.
    Just be aware this is not a trivial project, can not be done on a sloppy machine and may need some iterations to get it right (I had to re-do a few parts myself).

But otherwise, enjoy! It was a fun project for me.

You will find the zipped download with a few hints on my web site under the tab Garden Cart

You can use any of that for hobby or business purpose as you like.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    Final update for this project, this is complete.

Rear view with legs down:

Legs up:

Standing upright:
    I love the wagon wheel

Downloads
    Uploads

I revisited an old project (see posts here) which is the MazeMaker software to calculate random mazes and generate g-code output. At some point 2 years ago I had a beta test going but I got stuck on several details and never finished it. During this time I had several people reminding me to keep working on that. And...here it is!

In my latest version (1.01) I added the option of importing bitmap images as outline of the maze with pixel edit feature, fixed the dxf output and the perimeter cutout tool path. I guess it is good enough for publishing and I posted a download link on my web site: Mazes. If you are interested, have a look and let me know what you think about it. To avoid clogging this forum you can use the contact feature there.

Example, cutting a maze with the shape of a horse. The whole process did not take more than a few minutes.

Step 1: find an image and convert to a bitmap .bmp file. This can be greyscale or color but a black/white silhouette like below is easier to use:

Step 2: Convert to a blocking pattern and edit with Mazemaker. Note the green tile as defined starting point for the maze:

Step 3: Calculate a random maze (this is single sided flat, but double sided or cylindrical mazes are possible as well).

Step 4: Generate gcode and cut directly on the CNC. Alternatively generate a dxf file with the tool paths and import/simulate/output using a CAM software like Vectric VcarvePro or Aspire:

Last edited by JerryBurks; 06-10-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now here is the practical side...as mentioned in previous post, the maze calculation and tool path files take only a few minutes. The actual machining process took about 3 hours. Not too bad for a design that is about 34" x 23"

Preparing a custom vacuum hold down fixture. The outline was carved as shallow tool path and the gasket stuck on inside that.

Slotting the channels with an 1/8" downcut bit:

After chamfering the outside with 90 degree v-bit and cutting out, the undercut ball channel is machined with a 1/4" ball end plunge bit. Since I did not have a proper fluted bit I used a ball end burr bit that created more dust than chips but with the help of some compressed air it worked well.

Almost finished...

Downloads
    Uploads

Still no major changes to my BigBamboo machine. It is going strong and doing what I need to get done. Instead a few pics and video of my latest woodworking related project:

The question of how to pick up and move full size plywood or mdf sheets comes up occasionally and obviously there are many home made and commercial solutions around like the tilting Rockler MaterialMate cart. However, most such contraptions still require lifting the sheet onto a ledge and some are limited in terms of height adjustability. Some are just very expensive. So, I set out to design my own cart that can pick up full size 4x8 or 5x5 sheets (even 1.5" thick) from the floor by a single operator and without undue effort. I designed it to use a dual linking rod mechanism that moves the table's center of gravity from an offset position while vertical to a centered position when horizontal. Right now it can be adjusted from 32" height to 38" but my next design iteration would be a larger height range. Material is mostly 3/4" phenolic clad baltic Birch, some 2x4 studs and 1/2" construction grade plywood. Of course....all parts cut out on the BigBamboo machine

Just to be on the safe side I submitted a patent application but I still need to find a commercial partner to get this produced and marketed.

See images below and the video (go to YouTube for a full screen video)... .

Very cool!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice Job! Love the Vacuum clamp.

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21282930313233 LastLast