Upgrading another WidgitMaster router - Page 5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading another WidgitMaster router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Upgrading another WidgitMaster router

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    I don't know about you, but I'm 65 and the arthritis in my hands and hips has slowed me down to a crawl
    About 2-3 hours a week in the garage with Big Red is all I can handle these days!
    And then there's my Harley Trike, it's a pleasure to ride and that doesn't hurt my hips, only my hands!
    Widgit
    I don't have arthritis but have had heel spurs and plantar faciaitis in both feet so I understand your pain.
    Lots of soft floor mats in front of my machine and a chair so I can sit whenever possible.

My friend has arthritis in both hands and the only thing that keeps him going is playing his guitar. That and the $1000/month medication.

I hope that when I am 65 I am as productive as you.

Mike

Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

In order to upgrade my machine to a HuanYang VFD 2.2Kw water cooled spindle, I need to interface the Inverter to an existing Bob Campbell Combo Breakout board! This board has a built in Spindle interface, but I have no idea how to connect the pins to the inverter!

Inverter connections:
    V1
    DCM
    ACM
    FOR
    REV

Breakout Board Pins:
    1 - +18 dc unregulated
    2 - buffered out1 step
    3 - buffered out2 direction
    4 - PC Gnd
    5 - +12v isolated from PC
    6 - Gnd isolated from PC

I have sent email's to Bob Campbell, but he was no help!

Bob Campbell Combo Breakout board Manual:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-combo-pdf   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-controlbox-3-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-controlbox-2-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Downloads
    Uploads

Widgit,
    Do you have a manual for the VFD?

They are not that tough to set up. What I do is get Mach all setup using a volt meter. Once you can get the 0-10v out of the breakout board under Mach's control, then I move on to wiring the inverter.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Widgit,

As TotallyRC shared it is pretty easy. Each BOB connectors are unique and your manual has a section on the spindle. You basically need it to be able to output 0-10V which is fed to the VFD. Then you have to program the VFD for external control for both direction and speed, these are parameters inside the VFD.

This PDF shows you the typically connections on your VFD to a speed control by CNC4PC, but your BOB has these same things just at different locations. Just take a quick look and it should be pretty obvious.

Two relays are used to enable the VFD and allow it to change direction from Foward to Reverse, or vice versa.

PD001 = 1, this is for external control for operation commands
    PD002 = 1, this is for getting operating frequency RPM from external analog input
    PD044 = 01, for the RUN function
    PD045 = 05, for the Switching from Forward to Reverse

PD070 = 0, this takes analog input from 0 to 10V

Please check the manual for you VFD but most of these have not changed for most of the Huanyang VFDs.

Russ

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-wiring-c41r2-huanyang-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

If you don't need reverse, and most routers don't, then don't waste time wiring the reverse circuit. Programing an M04 does nothing.

Mike

Mike,
    When I setup Big Red, I used all the PMDX components with the VFD inverter! Their support is much better than what the older Campbel board offers
    If you look at the BB manual, it only gives pins and their confusing values!
    I'm NOT an electrical engineer, and I no longer have anyone around who knows anything about this stuff!
    My only alternative is to spend more money and get ALL the PMDX boards necessary, and rewire the blue box!

Setting the inverter's values is not the problem, it's connecting the BB to the inverter so I can remote control the spindle with G-code!

www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

No Problems,
    We should be able to do this right here. Worst case I could Skype in this weekend and do it that way.
    I would strongly advise you to test the analog voltages verifying them prior to making connections.

DISCLAIMER. I am not an electrical engineer but I play one on the internet!!!!!!!

According to the print somebody else provided I see the following at the inverter;
    1. VI = Analog voltage in.
    2. ACM = analog common or analog ground.
    3. FOR = Forward.
    4. DCM = DC voltage common.

At the BOB;
    1. sig = analog out.
    2. return gnd = analog common.

So we get;

sig connects to VI
    return gnd connects to DCM.

This is the analog part of the connections.

I will assume that you only need Forward;

BOB VFD
    l l
    On J16 connect COM to DCM

On J16 connect NO to FOR

This should allow you to program an M03 SXXXXXX and get spindle function (forward only)
    Hopefully someone else will review my astute compilation of the information presented and tell me how brilliant I am! (I really am full of my self some days) LOL

Let us know how it works out.
    Ifal this doesn't help PM me and we can setup some sort of call this weekend or next.

Mike
    (Widget in training)

Thanks Mike!
    But I chose to by the PMDX-126 Breakout board & PMDX-107 Isolated Speed Control boards!
    The Inverter cost too much after having the internal breaking circuitry installed to risk having it go up in smoke !
    This way both the Upgrade & Big Red will have the same settings, and connections!

Many of the ordered components have arrived, like the 1000 watt 65-Ohm breaking resistor!
    I haven't ordered a Hoffman box yet, because I'm not sure how much stuff will go in it!

Widgit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0759-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I like having parts commonality between machine.

Going with what you are comfortable with, priceless.

If nothing else, the info is out there for everybody to see.

Mike.

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL you Turkeys!

Well, after studying the Blue Box, I decided NOT to rip into it! I'd rather sell it to someone who can appreciate it!
    So I have ordered all the components to build a bigger box with the inverter and everything else inside!
    Various components have been arriving all week, here are some of the components:

A transformer for the 57 VDC power supply.
    A 24 VDC power supply for all the relays and contactor..
    An 110 VAC Hour meter.
    A radiator with 110 VAC muffin fan for the spindle's cooling system.
    The PMDX breakout board & Spindle speed control boards.

I found a 20" x 20" x 12" 16-gauge steel box on Amazon for $99 plus free shipping!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0753-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0754-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0755-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0756-jpg  

Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0757-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0758-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0760-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Now keeping the UPS & Postal service busy is not the only thing I've been doing!

I started sawing the blocks to rough size, and milling them square. The blocks were way over size, because you cant order exact size material! Everything was cut from a 6" x 6" solid bar of 6061 aluminum!
    Now milling the first two sides parallel is easy, as I used a set of Starrett Hold-Down's to pull the block down to the floor of the vise! Then I flipped the part and repeated the process, producing two perfectly parallel surfaces. (This only works if the Mill's head is accurately trammed) Then I held the two machined surfaces between the vice jaws, making the 3rd & 4th sides parallel & square to the previously machined sides.

The last two sides are a bit tricky, so I removed the vise and setup my Compound Angle Plate! This plate is hardened and precision ground square, so clamping one of the block's square corners in place, puts the 5th side in position for milling. Then I simply flip the block the mill the 6th surface! Because these blocks will be holding the spindle, squareness is a high priority!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0768-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0769-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0770-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0771-jpg  

Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0772-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0775-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0776-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0777-jpg  

Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0778-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0779-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0780-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Now that the blocks are milled to size and squared on all surfaces, it's time to drill, c-bore and tap all the holes to bolt them together! So first I put ink on the blocks to ensure I don't accidentally put the wrong side up and start drilling
    After drilling & tapping all 8x holes for a #10-24 UNC screw, I flipped the smaller block which has the through holes, so that I can c-bore for the screws cap head. In order to do this to such a deep hole, I used a drill with a flattened or square end! The c-bore stops .400" from the bottom, so I used a .1000" gauge block to set the tool off the vise's floor! Them I lowered the mill table .300" giving me a total of .400" Lastly I drilled & reamed two more holes in each block for a 1/8" steel dowel pin.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0784-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0783-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0781-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0785-jpg  

Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0786-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0787-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0788-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0789-jpg  

Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0790-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0791-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0792-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving to ALL you Turkeys!

Well, after studying the Blue Box, I decided NOT to rip into it! I'd rather sell it to someone who can appreciate it!
    So I have ordered all the components to build a bigger box with the inverter and everything else inside!
    Various components have been arriving all week, here are some of the components:

A transformer for the 57 VDC power supply.
    A 24 VDC power supply for all the relays and contactor..
    An 110 VAC Hour meter.
    A radiator with 110 VAC muffin fan for the spindle's cooling system.
    The PMDX breakout board & Spindle speed control boards.

I found a 20" x 20" x 12" 16-gauge steel box on Amazon for $99 plus free shipping!
    Where did you buy the radiator with 110 volt fan? Sorry, I've already found it.

I've made a few changes to the Spindle Mount, by adding two LED lights underneath it! This required drilling two 1/8" holes parallel to the spindle body, the holes will allow wires to pass through to the top end of the spindle.

Today I put the 80mm bore through the two blocks, this took a whole day too! After drilling with a few drill bits, I used a boring head and a long boring bar. To rough bore the hole, the spindle feed was set to .008" per revolution. This worked well at .01" depth per pass, then I removed he blocks, to let them cool off! Then I placed them back in the vise and rechecked the location with a dial indicator.
    The final passes were at the slowest RPM, and .0015" per revolution feed. I stopped boring when the ID was ,0005" smaller than the OD of the spindle! This will ensure a solid non-slip clamping of the heavy spindle!

It's nice to see the shop floor covered aluminum chips again

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0793-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0794-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0795-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0796-jpg  

Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0797-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0798-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0799-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0800-jpg  

Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0801-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0802-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0803-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0804-jpg  

Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0805-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Now that the Bore is finished, I separated the blocks and deburred the edges.
    Next I placed the larger block in the vise, so that I can mill the slot for the ballnut. This machine uses square anti-backlash ballnut's on the X & Z-axis. They are more compact, and allowed me to make many components smaller which increased strength and created a larger work envelope for the cutter!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0808-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0807-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0806-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Next I milled the two slots for the Linear Trucks to nest in, these are for 9mm IKO LWL9-B rails & trucks. There are several models of 9mm trucks, but the ones with the "B" can be removed from the rails without loosing all the tiny ball bearings!
    When measuring the width of the slots, I used an adjustable parallel. By expanding it in the slot, I was able to use a 1-2 micrometer to measure more accurately!

This morning I removed the Kress Spindle slide from the router, to double check the dimensions on my CAD file.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0809-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0810-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0811-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0812-jpg  

Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0813-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0814-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0815-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Widget,
    You do such nice work, just first class all the way. Nice Job.

Russ

Thanks Russ!

Today I drilled & tapped the holes for the LED's, then drilled the hole for the ballnut's grease fitting!
    Then I drilled & c-bored the holes for the linear trucks, half of the holes needed to be c-bored from inside the bore radius. The other half will be accessable from the sides, after the rotary table work is done!

Next I removed the x-axis slide assembly from the router, so that I can ensure everything fits as planned!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0819-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0818-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0817-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0816-jpg  

Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0820-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0821-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0822-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0823-jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work, but why have you bunched the Z axis linear bearing blocks together? Having then further apart would increase your rigidity, and would not decrease your travel (as the end plates are what limits your travel).

You have judged the outcome too soon my friend!

Today I used a 3/4" ball endmill to put some of the fillet radius's on the outer shell, and created the center web. There will be lots of material removed from these square blocks, as I need to lighten it as much as possible! The new VFD spindle weighs 4-times more than the old Kress Spindles!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0824-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0825-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0826-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0827-jpg  

Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0828-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0829-jpg   Upgrading another WidgitMaster router-img_0830-jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast