Another Aussie Build

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Aussie Build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Another Aussie Build

Hi All,
    I have posted the complete build on another forum but I owe this forum a lot for getting me started. I have lost count of the number of mills and gantry routers I have done so beware the bug takes a while to shake off.

This is a mid sized machine with a 500mm by 500mm cutting envelope and I have included all the bells and whistles you need on a machine. It has a Chinese 800 watt spindle with VFD, Pokeys Console with Pots and switches, electromagnetic aquarium air pump to clear the swarf when cutting, inbuilt computer with monitor stand, Gecko drives, welded steel stand on locking swivel castors, steel base and ally gantry, across the table clamping with T slot track and ....................

Too many words so just look at the photos and ask away if you are interested to know more.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0919-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0920-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0922-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0923-jpg  

Another Aussie Build-dcp_0924-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0925-jpg  
    Last edited by Rodm1954; 06-06-2010 at 11:55 AM.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Limited by the number of photos I can attach so will run this in to a second post and fill it with a couple of earlier photos during the build.

I like the Arcade switches as they are cheap and you can change the function and switch description easy without having to re-make an engraved panel for the console. The triangular switches are used for jogging and are orientated to the direction the machine travels so hopefully the operator won't get confused.

The Pokeys board is mounted in the bottom of the box and these are fantastic for interfacing with Mach3. Analogue, digital and other interfaces can be done through any combination of brains, key emulation or the Mach3 plugins. I used mostly Mach3 brains and some key emulation for all the console functions. Facia of the console has Romark laminated to an ally backing which makes engraving easier.

Sheetmetal covers over the electrics to protect inquisitive hands and to contain EMI from signal wires. The machine has a common earth for everything and shielded cables and so far no sign of noise in the machine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0926-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0811-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0880-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0884-jpg  

Another Aussie Build-dcp_0888-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0889-jpg  
    Last edited by Rodm1954; 06-06-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Two posts in a row is good - three is better.
    I wanted to have everything on the one unit so computer, air pump and all the electronics are inbuilt. There are five 12 volt fans built into the base and switchboard cabinet with plenty of air ports to suck in or exhaust air to help keep it cool.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0893-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0899-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0902-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0905-jpg  

Another Aussie Build-dcp_0907-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0910-jpg  
    Last edited by Rodm1954; 06-06-2010 at 11:53 AM.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why not go for four posts?
    In the design I made the X axis linear rails high to reduce the leverage effect of the gantry. I also put emphasis on covering all the linear gear with folded sheetmetal covers or postioning those componets away from the firing line of the spindle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0916-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0917-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0918-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Default another excellent design!

Thanks for sharing!!

In one of your previous posts you included a photo of a Z axis where you had incorporated a vacuum attachment into the design.....for easy swarf removal.

I downloaded the picture but lost it in a crash! would it be possible for you
    to re-post the photo?

It was a superb design & I would like to copy it!!!

Best regards.....Glad to see you are Back!

W. Smith, Mission Viejo, CA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi CNCfun&games
    I am still following your castings and machine build - superb work.

I had to go back a way but I think this is what you are looking for.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-vacuum_base_finished_1-jpg   Another Aussie Build-vacuum_base_finished_2-jpg   Another Aussie Build-vacuum_housing_adjustable_mount_left-jpg   Another Aussie Build-vacuum_housing_adjustable_mount_right-jpg  

Another Aussie Build-vacuum_holder_base-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a beautiful and well designed machine Rod. I also saw you had a real nice machine in another thread.

The only thing that looks iffy is that big clumsy looking cable chain... You could have just used a small neat curve of round flexible conduit for that amount of gantry travel;

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah wasn't happy with that either as it bulks up the machine. I didn't want to run the wires up the gatry sides and got fixed on a top and bottom entry point.

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Default That's the One!!

Rod,

Thanks for the Photo's.

Have you run your 2.2K water cooled spindle ?

If so, how is the performance?

The video you made showing the smaller air cooled spindle was very impressive....

W. Smith

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi CNCfun&games,
    Sorry it has been on the shelf all this time so can't give any feedback on it.
    The 800 watt air cooled has been running well - touch wood.

The one on the above machine is also 800 watt air cooled but it has ceramic bearings and is super quiet. Only problem is I can't use the spindle as an earth for the touchplate. An alligator clip fixes that but it is not an elegant solution.

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Another great build Rod, you are really setting the standard for the rest of us !
    If only you had used servo's on the machine it could have been perfect

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russell,
    Trouble with servos is they can never make their mind up if they are there or not. At least with steppers they stay still even if it is in the wrong spot.

I don't think I will ever build the perfect machine and I have picked out a couple of things I will change on the next one already. Next one starts in July and it takes me around three months to build them.

Hope you are going well and missing the storms. I'll get in touch later to see how things are going in your workshop.

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rod, sorry but I couldn't resist having a cheap shot

All good here, nothing but blue skies, mostly anyway.

I have finished a rather large project so my builds should fire up again, only a couple of years to go and the first one may start taking shape...

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile The New July Build?

Hi Rod,

Please don't hesitate to show us " in Process" Photo's of your latest Build!

There are probably quite a few of your Fans interested in the new project!

Best Regards,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi CNCfun&games,

Not much to show as it has been slowed by cold weather (our standards not yours ) which means I have spent most of the time watching paint dry.

I have manged to get the console finished, computer ready, Z axis assembled and a few of the other bits that can be done out of sequence to the machine build.

A couple of photos as it gets built ground up but nothing to get excited about.

I'll be back when I have something decent to show.

You must be getting excited now that your cast fixed gantry machines are nearly finished.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0929-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0928-jpg  
    Last edited by Rodm1954; 07-28-2010 at 08:15 PM.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A bit more detail on the console. I use arcade buttons as they are cheap, robust, use a good quality microswitch and the switches can be pulled apart and new labels done if your requirments change. The labels for these are laser printed on overhead transparency film.

The triangular buttons are great for pointing in the axis direction so no confusion when you jog around the table. The panel itself is 2mm ally cut on my machine, then Romark glued to the face, then it is cut again and engraved in the Rowmark.

The console interfaces to the computer with a USB Pokeys55T board which has been developed with CNC users in mind. I have two analogue pots to control jog rate and Feed Override (FRO), a 12 stage rotary switch (jog mode) and 22 arcade buttons for specific functions. The wire hanging out the back of the console is to conect to the computer so the computer can be turned on from the console. All connections are soldered as I think this is more reliable than a crimped connector.

Button functions are done through Mach3 Brains, Mach3OEM inputs/outputs, keyboard emulation (shortcuts) and analogue inputs. I have also hooked up MPG's to the Pokeys and they work well too. I did a step by step non technical guide on making a consule using both Pokeys and ModIO interfaces.

Sorry about the photo quality as I only point and click with a camera.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Aussie Build-dcp_0934-jpg   Another Aussie Build-dcp_0932-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Good stuff as always Rod I like the looks of that Rowmark stuff, I was looking for something to use for engraving some labels for my day job, but it was incredibly expensive, what sort of price per sq. metre could I expect for Rowmark?

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last time I got Rowmark it was $90 sheeet for 1200 by 600.
    I have been getting Gravograph sheets for a while now - same stuff, different brand, and lucked on some on special for $31.00 sheet.
    Link here
    Not sure on the rules if you are allowed to post links to suppliers so hope it stays up long enough for you to see it.

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Great Job as usual!!

Rod M.

I envy your ability to integrate your Switch Boards into your Electronics,
    particularly Mach3..... That's still a mystery to me!!

I'm interested to see what other surprises you will come up with.

Very Professional Stuff!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rod, for some reason I didn't see your reply (maybe it was too fast ) but thanks for that, I have bookmarked it for future reference.

It would be handy to have some in the shed just in case...

Cheers.

Russell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast