Recycling extruded polystyrene

Thread: Recycling extruded polystyrene

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Recycling extruded polystyrene

I am looking for a way to recycle XPS (extruded polystyrene) or basically Dow blueboard. I cut this on our router and have about 20 cubic yards of this finely shredded material every couple months. I have found places that will take EPS, and I have contacted the XPS association as well as Dow themselves. No great suggestions as of yet. I have also found $20k extruders that will put this back into a solid form, but the idea of spending that much for a scrap issue dosent seem very cost effective.
    Open to any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,

Paul

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Your; "Open to any ideas or suggestions."{ has been sitting there totally ignored for several hours and I am feeling less than entirely serious so here is an idea.

Start a subsidiary business making hypo-allergenic polystyrene stuffed pillows .

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Thinking oustide the bin!

Now, Now Geof - that might be close to a really good idea!
    Shredded cellulose is used as a blown in insulation. For all the original purpose of XPS - and now its shredded - 20 cubic yds every few months could make for a nice pile of attic/wall fill.
    Making chips - I wonder if dow might have some details on using xps in that form rather than used additional energy to reform into solid.

Outside the bin agaiin!
    Jim

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Give this guy a call?

http://www.styromelt.com/images/Styr...nese-Image.jpg

If that first guy does not work out, I found this place in Michigan:

Michigan Polymer Reclaim
    107 E Walker Rd
    St Johns, MI 48879
    (989) 227-1125

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Switcher, I think I have seen that guy!! It is crazy what they will load on a bike over there.
    I will call the Michigan polymer reclaim this week if I get a chance.

Jim, this stuff would probably make great attic insulation accept for one problem. Any air current at all and you have a blue duststorm. It blows all over the place, and is static charged. It would be great to make something from this, but this is scrap, I dont make (or want to) more just to make something else.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

Will it dissolve in a solvent? This may be hazardous to your health if not properly done, but at least, it might reduce the volume by a huge factor. You'd need someone who would take the solvent and distill it to recover whatever can be recovered.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I've read on a few sites that polystyrene is in demand as far as recycling the stuff, also that it's very easy for the manufactures to recycle into new product, the main thing is they want the stuff clean (no food package, health product packages).

I bet you could sell the stuff If you could just find the recycler to buy it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Making chips View Post
    ... this stuff would probably make great attic insulation....
    I think your local fire inspector may have a different point of view. I imagine it will burn very efficiently.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, your best bet is to let a recycler deal with the stuff, heck if he hauled it away for free I would consider that money in your pocket.

Downloads
    Uploads

Their is a lot of money in recycling!

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't use it for insulation- if it burns it can give of some nasty gases.

http://www.barrule.com/workshop/imag...oams/index.htm

I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No, I wouldn't recommend this for attic insulation. In the "dust" form it is pretty flammable.
    XPS when extruded back into a solid form has a burnable energy level slightly less than coal, and from the extrusion company that is selling these recyclers they state that there is no harmful emissions from burning the solids. According to the MSDS sheet the emissions from burning foam are less than burning wood.
    I have contacted several local recyclers, and they all take EPS, but no XPS. I have also talked with a couple concrete companies because the foam is an excellent binder with the ash used in concrete production, and it can also be used for mixing lightweight concrete. As I noted before we don't make enough to "supply" someone else for their production needs - like the concrete thing.

Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Recycling extruded polystyrene

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I think your local fire inspector may have a different point of view. I imagine it will burn very efficiently.
    Isn't all the insulation foam board made with fire retardant?