USB to Parallel cable not communicating with CNC machine? Virtual port issues?

Thread: USB to Parallel cable not communicating with CNC machine? Virtual port issues?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default USB to Parallel cable not communicating with CNC machine? Virtual port issues?

Hello.

I recently bought a CNC-Multitool 4-axis hot wire foam cutting machine and I have it all assembled.

This machine uses a parallel port for communications, however my computer does not have one. I bought a USB to parallel adapter thinking that this is all that would be needed to allow the CNC machine to communicate with the computer, however I still have not managed to make that happen.

The adapter cable shows up in the Device Manager (I use Windows XP) in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section as "USB Printing Support", not as a virtual port in the Ports section.

The cable did not come with any software and I do not know what to do now.

I have gone through the Mach 3 options to see if there was any setting that I could try to tweak to see if I could make them communicate to no avail. I have also tried DeskCNC and Jedi Cutter. None of them seem to communicate with the machine.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that the problem is the cable and/or its lack of software to turn it into a virtual lpt port.

I am looking for any suggestions and I need to get this machine working ASAP.

Help, please

Thank you

sportjet

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: USB to Parallel cable not communicating with CNC machine? Virtual port issues?

Nope. Won't work. You need an actual hardware PP or you ne something like smoothstepper or UC-100 if you want to use USB.

Last edited by Kenny Duval; 11-23-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    Nope. Won't work. You need and actual hardware PP or you ne something like smoothstepper or UC-100 if you want to use USB.

Smoothstepper?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: USB to Parallel cable not communicating with CNC machine? Virtual port issues?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    Its a laptop, so no free slots.

I'll See if I can source the UC-100

s00073055

Quote Originally Posted by sportjet View Post
    Its a laptop, so no free slots.

I'll See if I can source the UC-100
    If your laptop has an express card slot you can use this I use it for software which uses a software security parallel port dongle other option get desktop with parallel port.

StarTech.com 1 Port ExpressCard Laptop Parallel Adapter Card - SPP/EPP/ECP - 1 x | eBay

These express cards are not all the same some work and some do not.

Last edited by s00073055; 11-23-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, this is an interesting option...and cheaper than the UC-100 too.

Anyone see a reason not to use this?

sportjet

Downloads
    Uploads

As long as it presents to the OS as a physical PP and gets a hardware address there is nothing wrong with using it.

s00073055

has you laptop got the express port slot? the express card for a software dongles needs to be bi directional or it will not work i hope this info helps.

Downloads
    Uploads

sportjet
    I have tried a few different Express cards for laptops,like this, ( waste of money/time even trying them ) and they do not work as they should, the UC100 is your best choice and they run really great

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

sportjet
    I can see plenty reasons for not to use it, though I have not tried it before. My main reason is that for just a few more money you can get a MUCH better solution, which is also more universal.

Get a UC100 or UC300 instead and you will never regret it. I don't have the UC100 but have a UC300 and that is just outstanding. The disadvantage of UC300 compared to UC100 is that there is no case, but you can put it in any box you like, so that's not a problem. The HUGE advantage of the UC300 compared to UC100 and many similar solutions is the HUGE number of inputs and outputs you get with the card which you can use any time in the future, in case you want to upgrade your machine. I have just recently upgraded my CNC from using parallel port to using the UC300 and I could never be happier. I decided to make a control box and I still have a huge number of inputs and outputs for future expansions. My CNC runs also faster (about 50-60%) and much smoother than it did using a PCI parallel port of the same desktop computer. I managed to replace that old desktop with a laptop with the UC300 also. One of the alternatives I looked at was a similar option you are looking at now, but I decided I will not take another chance with an unknown Express card with parallel port for my laptop so I went on with the UC300. No regrets about that decision.

Anyway, if you think the UC300 is too expensive I think you should still go on with a UC100, which is basically the same but has only one parallel port.

Downloads
    Uploads

Over the years, many people have tried this, and the results seem to be about 50/50. Some work, and some don't.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)