Shuttle parallel port revisited

Thread: Shuttle parallel port revisited

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Shuttle parallel port revisited

Hello me again.
    After a long absence due to a wiring problem in my vision I am back into experimenting with my lathe and future three axis machine running on EMC2. After a call out for redundant computers with a parallel port, I have inherited yet another Shuttle PC. I have had another go using a PCI parallel port card but with no success. An earlier response indicated that EMC2 Foamworks and Mach3 will drive via the PCI card. I suspect that this is because as with Foamworks, Mach3 uses the windows driver rather than as I suspect, re-configuring the parallel port driver/configuration when EMC2 is loaded onto a Shuttle. So I guess I must attempt to get into I believe the HAL file and put things right. So if anyone is able to guide a non software wizard such as myself then I would be chuffed to have a go. Any offers?
    Regards
    Ken

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I realize this post is a few months old, but I just completed an install of a Shuttle with a PCI card on LinuxCNC. I had issues until I realized that the Shuttle has a header on the board for the parallel port and in LinuxCNC I was talking to the non-existent header rather than the PCI parallel port card. Try a dmesg|grep parport command in terminal and make sure you have the correct address specified. See if the PCI card has a different address than the one you are entering into the software.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kbraat View Post
    I realize this post is a few months old, but I just completed an install of a Shuttle with a PCI card on LinuxCNC. I had issues until I realized that the Shuttle has a header on the board for the parallel port and in LinuxCNC I was talking to the non-existent header rather than the PCI parallel port card. Try a dmesg|grep parport command in terminal and make sure you have the correct address specified. See if the PCI card has a different address than the one you are entering into the software.
    I don't have that problem, but that's an interesting approach to finding out the parallel port address (I'm only an occasional Linux user and so it's good to see how others use the system).

IIRC there is also an lspci command that may lead you to the same info.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Shuttle parallel port revisited

I have 2 Shuttle systems with add on pci cards with NetMos chips and they both work flawlessly with Linuxcnc, on both cases you will need to change the parport address on the stepconf wizard or in the .hal file of your config. In both cases i had to use an 0DD.. address.
    As mentioned above use "lspci -v" and find your card so you can see exactly what addresses your card is using and put that in config or hal file.
    Regards,
    Tom