Where can I buy Nichrome wire from? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can I buy Nichrome wire from?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rceebuilder
    yes it is a little bit hard compare to nichrome wire. I hanged about 5 kilos weight to tighten it.Here are the photos
    rceebuilder.

COOL MACHINE. How about some more photos. It looks sturdy, and how did you weight the wire?

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by o1moregil
    I haven't used Nichrome, but I scored some .020 steel roll at walmart , its the stuff that is used in mig welding (wirewelders) 2 pound for 8 bucks (dont know haw many feet though), the stuff looks like it will last for ever, and heats up/down preety good with a 5 amp battery charger/w dimmer control
    o1moregil,

.020 steel is kind of thick isn't it. The inconel wire I get is .012 and not much bigger than a human hair. No expansion when heated. It costs more but will more than likely last me for as long as I want to cut foam.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using Sullivan control line wire for quite awhile. The label is off but I think it is stranded .015 and works for me. The roll is 2 wire x 60 feet so there is lots if you have trouble.
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vulcom1
    I have been using Sullivan control line wire for quite awhile. The label is off but I think it is stranded .015 and works for me. The roll is 2 wire x 60 feet so there is lots if you have trouble.
    John
    vulcom1,

I guess that would work ok. It's stainless steel isn't it? More than likely the only time you would need or want something more heat and corrsion resistant is if you were in a full blown foam cutting production shop. As long as it gets hot enough to cut and cuts smooth, that's all that really matters.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i got some inconel wire .012 on the way , have to give it a try , 20 foot $10.00 not bad, .39 cent shipping

Downloads
    Uploads

i got some inconel wire .012 on the way , have to give it a try , 20 foot $10.00 not bad, .39 cent shipping

Don't be surprised when it shows up in a regular letter size envelope. That's why the shipping is so cheap. I think they also include a warning letter telling you to watch out when you unroll it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They probably put a twist at the end to keep it from unwrapping.
    I havn't been cutting as much as I used too but still like making wing cores as they are easier for me instead of ribs. When done my 30% Raven look alike, I want to build a cnc foam cutter. That will be my first project into this and we will see where it goes from there.
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

John,

This is how it will arrive. Note, the Warning and also the size envelope.

Greg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where can I buy Nichrome wire from?-hotwire-photo-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recived my inconel wire .012 a cuple days ago, and I hadnt had time to put it on the cnc till now, Im having trouble heating this kinda wire, my towers are 42 inch apart wish is 42 inches of wire, and im using a car batt charger that at full (i believe its 5amp). it heats the wire way to low and I have to set the speed of the steppers on the very low speed and it takes for ever to make a cut.

what are you guys using to heat this wire?
    thanks !

Downloads
    Uploads

I recived my inconel wire .012 a cuple days ago, and I hadnt had time to put it on the cnc till now, Im having trouble heating this kinda wire, my towers are 42 inch apart wish is 42 inches of wire, and im using a car batt charger that at full (i believe its 5amp). it heats the wire way to low and I have to set the speed of the steppers on the very low speed and it takes for ever to make a cut.

what are you guys using to heat this wire?
    thanks !
    You might want to look at this web page.

http://www.nsrca.org/technical/tip_t...wer_supply.htm

He uses many Radio SHack parts but you can find them elsewhere for less money.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks GAWnCA, I ran with this and other sites a cuple days ago , and I'm not shure
    about 2 amps capable of heating this wire, I have purchase a 5 amp 24v transformer from....hummmm....shoot, cant remember, but its in a rc site (I found the link in a utahfliers.com) I paid 29 dlls plus shipping , the problem is that it keeps on burning the dimmer controller

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GAWnCA
    rceebuilder.

COOL MACHINE. How about some more photos. It looks sturdy, and how did you weight the wire?

Greg

There are L shaped copper tubes which has 1.5 mm inside diameter on the left and right columns Wire ends are passed inside these tubes so the wire ends turn up . then the wire ends knotted to another steel wire which are holding the tension weights. We use inconel wire. It is perfect and whitstands to high tensioning even at high temperatures.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What I am using is an old 8 amp power supply but 5 should still work. I used to use 4 but lucked out on this one. Where is your dimmer connected on your supply. I have mine before the transformer and adjust the transformer. It is in a box with the 110 volt power cable. If you have it after the transformer I think you will get problems.
    John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

vulcom1
    I have it before the transformer, it's been 3 dimmer switches that i have gone thru with no luck, I just bought an old train controller off ebay shuld be arriving soon this week, its the old kind with no cuircuit braker (the good ones) , ill give it a try, only 9 bucks (cant beat that)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have used NiCr wire from various suppliers for years. For temp control, a simple dropping resistor (any appliance that uses NiCr wire as a heating element) wired in series works for me - simple and dirt cheap. Right now I use the heating coil wire from a popcorn popper. I can clip on at various points (varying the length of coil used in the circuit) to adjust the wire temp (see pic).

My problem is wire I have on hand now breaks too frequently. Anybody recommend something that holds up well without breaking? Reason it breaks is I cut foam manually using guides the wire makes contact with and moves along during the cutting.

I am here to learn (get help really) on building, on a budget, a cnc setup! I suppose this should help much with my wire breakage problem. Will post separately on this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where can I buy Nichrome wire from?-copy-p1010006-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi 43220,
    I can send you a length of iconell wire that is to short for my machine. send me a PM and ill get your address from you. Its supposed to be stronger than nichrome and it does seem to be true.

Ps to you other two previous posters,
    dont use a dimmer, order a router speed controller off ebay or Harbor Freight for around 15 dollars. They are fused, handle 5 amps or more, and never burn out. Using same one for 3 years now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone tried stainless steel leader wire? We were cutting manually just fine using .016 wire until our power supply finally went out (made the mistake of using a regular light dimmer with a step-down transformer). This brand http://www.malinco.com/fishing/hardwire.html is available in various sizes from .010 on up. http://www.malinco.com/fishing/leader_chart.html

Best part is a package of 42 feet was 97 cents at the local Dick's Sporting Goods.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use stainless wire manually and will be on the cnc setup I have just built. Just need to do the electronics. What I use is control line wire the u control flyers use. Bought a spool years ago and still have lots. They come in different diameters and what I use is .016".
    John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We got some .011 and .013 in addition to the .016, but haven't tried the others yet. At less than 3 cents per foot, why not try it? I can always use it for trip wire, eh?

Downloads
    Uploads

McMASTER-CARR they have nichrome and Inconel wire(better) in all ga. (.020 831' $18.00) cheap shipping. They also have ball screws-bearings.....

Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast