Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where can I buy Nichrome wire from?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone tried stainless steel leader wire? We were cutting manually just fine using .016 wire until our power supply finally went out (made the mistake of using a regular light dimmer with a step-down transformer). This brand http://www.malinco.com/fishing/hardwire.html is available in various sizes from .010 on up. http://www.malinco.com/fishing/leader_chart.html

Best part is a package of 42 feet was 97 cents at the local Dick's Sporting Goods.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use stainless wire manually and will be on the cnc setup I have just built. Just need to do the electronics. What I use is control line wire the u control flyers use. Bought a spool years ago and still have lots. They come in different diameters and what I use is .016".
    John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We got some .011 and .013 in addition to the .016, but haven't tried the others yet. At less than 3 cents per foot, why not try it? I can always use it for trip wire, eh?

Downloads
    Uploads

McMASTER-CARR they have nichrome and Inconel wire(better) in all ga. (.020 831' $18.00) cheap shipping. They also have ball screws-bearings.....

Mark

Default Nickel Wire

Nichrome wire at http://mscdirect.com all sizes and kinds and 1/3 the proce of other distributors

Hey Gil

That power supply is the one I use. You know it works well with the inconel.

I think I got my wire from aerowright.com

Later Bruce

www.wtxrcdog.com
    http://wtxrcdog.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can buy Chrome Nickel fishing leader wire at Walmart. It's 69# test and 0.018 inch. It comes in a 25 foot length for less than $2. Works like a champ.

This is the stuff at Walmart.

http://www.thornebros.com/muskie/ter.../lc_mason.html

Last edited by SteveC68; 12-07-2007 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Added URL

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I find several types od Nichrome wire.

Nickel-Chrom - copper coated
    Nickel-Chrom - shining
    Ni 80 - shining
    Nickel-Chrom-Titan

diameter
    0,2mm resistance on 1 meter 16,8
    0,3mm resistance on 1 meter 10,1
    0,35mm resistance on 1 meter 7,5
    0,4mm resistance on 1 meter 4,6
    0,5mm resistance on 1 meter 3,4
    0,6mm resistance on 1 meter 2,3

or 0.008 0.012 0.014 0.016 0.020 0.024 inch

My question is: wich wire to use for foam cutting and what kaind wire diameter to use. Whati is difference between this wires.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am using .018 inch, but I see a lot people using between .016 and .020 inch. I have a 115V to 25.2V, 2 Amp step down transformer. My AC voltage going into my transformer measures 124.9 and I'm seeing a little over 28 volts at my cutting wire. My power supply uses a 1 Amp fuse and so far it hasn't blown using .018 inch wire.

Quote Originally Posted by 43220 View Post
    My problem is wire I have on hand now breaks too frequently. Anybody recommend something that holds up well without breaking? Reason it breaks is I cut foam manually using guides the wire makes contact with and moves along during the cutting.
    Do you cut using wood templates or similate?? I used to cut wings for Rc planes using wood templates, and the wire used to break due to friction. Then I learned a simple trick: you shoul cover the edge of the template with adhesive aluminium tape, wich is used for isolating air conditing installations. Then the wire will run smoothly

Regards from Spain

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

buy directly from Manufacturer in China, minimum order quantity is one spool.
    Here: Http://niwire.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

why not just buy rene 41 wire from skyking? cost is about 60c per foot but you get a much better cut and last longer than s/s or nicrome wire.

you can buy 50feet for $30 and its only $6 shipping to usa

sky king rene 41 wire

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast