Question on Lathe Tooling

Thread: Question on Lathe Tooling

Default Question on Lathe Tooling

Im relatively new to turning shafts on CNC lathes that have any actual length to them (over 2 feet). My company is buying a long bed CNC in the near future and im just curious as to why the standard for roughing seems to be a CNMG/P 432. Wouldnt a TPG style tool work as well? Is the only reason that the 432 is preferred because it allows you to rough face as well without taking up an additional turrett spot? Just curious what someone with a bit more expierence has to say on this. I know when turning shafts manually i usually used a TPG style turning tool then finished face with whatever else i had on hand. Thanks for the input.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Question on Lathe Tooling

C style is really the most common roughing insert out there, same with D style for finishing, i think most operators can't really say why they use them instead of something else, it's just how it's always been.

Anyway i will try to explain some things, a C style insert will have the same ability for longitudinal turning and face turning which makes this a good insert for roughing, however if you aren't using all edges a W is more economical since it gives you 6 edges instead of 4, for nearly the same price.

A T style insert is good for longitudinal turning and some profiling but not really meant for facing, it will give less stress on the work material due to the entering angle (near 90) and angle of insert but for same reasons it will not last as long.
    The smaller the entering angle the more feed you can use and the longer the insert will last, but it will also be a possibility for vibrations, so with these things in mind you will need to figure out what is more economical for you.
    Personally if it's stable enough S style insert is my favorite (gives 8 corners), or maybe some high feed insert's, if you need to use T style due to vibrations it's a good and cheap insert for that but i wouldn't recommend it for heavy roughing.