Shoulder Mill Help

Thread: Shoulder Mill Help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Shoulder Mill Help

Hi there,
    I have a question - I'm not an experienced operator, but landed myself a Bridgeport Series 2 Interact 2 and just finished retrofitting the machine with an AJAX/Centroid Control. Now I get to learn how to use the machine. I need to mill a couple of deep aluminum pockets (3" deep) and have a Sandvik RA390 Long Shoulder Mill. The cutting diameter is the same as the shank dia, and the tool is about 8" long overall. If I run the tool down into the pocket wherein the shank is in the pocket and running along the sides - is that bad? - or should I pick up a tool where the shank has a smaller dia than the cutting dia.

Thanks

Jay

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Shoulder Mill Help

I have done that, but I don't like to. I have relieved the shank on the endmill, just used a bench grinder to do that. Only takes a few thousandths to have enough clearance.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Shoulder Mill Help

Thanks Jim - sounds like a plan - I'll throw it into a mill and skim off a smidgen.

Jay