Machining 6082T6 Aluminium - end mill?

Thread: Machining 6082T6 Aluminium - end mill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Machining 6082T6 Aluminium - end mill?

Hi guys

I need to machine some 5mm 6082T6 with 3mm end mill. I have 2 flute end mills HSS. What speed should I run at.

Thank in advance.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Machining 6082T6 Aluminium - end mill?

It really depends on how tight your spindle is and what kind of coolant you are using.
    Does the end mill have a coating?
    Generally with a tight spindle with an uncoated HSS end mill, at 3mm, you should be able to run at 250sfm with coolant flooding.
    For feed rate, even with aluminum, I would not feed more than .0005 per tooth with an end mill that small.
    So 8000rpm at 8ipm (20cm/m)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a ton for that. I will run slow. It is on a cnc router. I have cut other types of aluminum but very small typically only drilling but in this case it is quite a lot of cuts. I have a machining fluid I spray I use. I have a 2.4kw spindle which runs 8000 to 25000 rpm
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarratt View Post
    It really depends on how tight your spindle is and what kind of coolant you are using.
    Does the end mill have a coating?
    Generally with a tight spindle with an uncoated HSS end mill, at 3mm, you should be able to run at 250sfm with coolant flooding.
    For feed rate, even with aluminum, I would not feed more than .0005 per tooth with an end mill that small.
    So 8000rpm at 8ipm (20cm/m)

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I would throw that endmill in the prats drawer and get a TiN, ZrN, or CVD coated carbide endmill. 3mmis about 1/8", I use .001"-.0013" chipload at 12krpm... so I'd run them at 12-15.6IPM per flute... Been cutting aluminum since I had a wood-frame router with a RotoZip 8 years ago, to now with a 2.2kW 24krpm spindle on my mini-mill...

The carbide is a lot stiffer, so it deflects less, is more tolerant of heat (especially coated), and stays sharper longer. If you run too slow you'll just create dust which you'll re-cut, and eventually wear out your endmill... adjust DoC's to your router stiffness and spindle HP