Variable size collet?

Thread: Variable size collet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Variable size collet?

Just wondering...does a variable size collet exist? I doubt it, but I thought I'd see if anyone knew of anything. It would be super useful to be able to use a 1/8" up through a 1/4" bit without changing the collet. Probably a pipe dream.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Variable size collet?

yesssss.........but they call it a chuck, like a 3 jaw chuck or even a drill chuck.......a drill chuck is not suitable for milling as it has very little gripping power compared to a dedicated colt.

The ER series of collets are variable to 1mm, squeezing down not expanding up that is.

You can also get rubber flex chucks with collets that have steel blades held in position with a rubber matrix to allow the steel blades to close down.....they're also very expensive.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Variable size collet?

Well, I kinda figured that might be the case. Ah well, no big deal. Perhaps an easier solution is to get a few more collet nuts and just keep my collets in dedicated nuts.

Thanks!