Newbie Facemill recommendations 12000-24000rpm

Thread: Facemill recommendations 12000-24000rpm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Facemill recommendations 12000-24000rpm

I need a FaceMill that i can mount to my spindle which is designed to run 12k - 24k rpm (1.8kW) But for shorter runs i suspect that i can run it at 3-6k rpm whithout trouble.
    My collets fit ER25.

Now i need a face mill to level my bed and also for facemilling other stuff in the future. My preference is as short as possible due to limited Z-height on my router.

I have no clue what to get... Can anyone help or giva a suggestion? Budget is limited but i rather spend more for a good tool than being dissatisfied with throwing money away on crap.

Please!!

Similar Threads:
    Still Learning..... :D

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Facemill recommendations 12000-24000rpm

How about something like this FREUD 16-108 1/2 shank, 2 flute, 1 1/4 dia carbide tipped. It's what I use for leveling my table.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! Found it on amazon via google... about 20usd.

What kind of surface finish can i accomplish with it? My goal is mirror finish but i dont have the money for it

If i increase my budget to about 75 or 200 usd... Any other suggestions?

BDW My Table is Chinese T-Slot extrusion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Click on FREUD in the post above, or Freud 16-108 1-1/4" Diameter X 1/2" Mortising Router Bit (1/2" Shank)

Should be available at your local wood supply or big box store also. Very common item, normally around $20

Downloads
    Uploads

mirror finish implies metal. thats going to be near impossible on a er25 router with any cutter, but the closest youll get is a fly cutter with a half inch shank and a finely honed and shaped carbide bit with a 1.5" or so diameter. every other decent cutter needs at least a 3/4" shank - and a much more rigid machine with lots of low end torque - im talking 500w+ at 500-2000rpm.

you also need to make sure the spindle is trammed dead square to the table, or each pass will have a ridge.

Downloads
    Uploads

@ihavenofish is correct. In order to get the finish you want, a very stiff machine is needed and the head must be in tram. I really don't think it's necessary to have that kind of finish on a router table. When cutting aluminum, a lot of cutting fluid is needed, WD40 or kerosene works the best. Aluminum extrusions are especially nasty to work with because the material is so soft and gummy and will want to weld the material to the cutter without enough cutting fluid.

You will also probably get some chatter unless the table is well supported below, if it's possible to bolt or clamp some heavy pieces of steel to the bottom to add mass it would be helpful.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The mashine is well trammed used a 0.001mm micrometer diffing only 0.002 in x and 0.003 in y. Spindle is electrospindle from Damen cnc 1800W in 12k - 24k rpm. So my guess is that i have between 450W and 900W at 3krpm. I mist with 0.1%wd40, 0.2%alcohol and air at 9bar which has worked fine so far... The best result i have gotten so far is with 2 flute 5mm endmill (brand new Dormer bit) but it is no where near the result i assume is possible. I am not expecting wonders but a dead flat surface is a must say +- 0.02mm ( reference to the mashine rails ).