Best tooling prices for swiss turning tools

Thread: Best tooling prices for swiss turning tools

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Best tooling prices for swiss turning tools

Looking for any thoughts on reasonably priced swiss tooling. I've spoken to Kyocera, Genswiss, Iscar on their swiss lines. Back turning tools seem to be the most expensive tool around, $130 for the holder (fine) and $35/insert (2 edges). Otherwise we use mostly simple grooving tools, ISO turning tools, stub drills, etc.

Kennemetal has their line with the two-block system, one block stays in the gang slide as a repeatable back stock, the other holds the insert. The holders with special wedge are like $300+ each and often use proprietary inserts. Makes sense when you're running steel or exotics, but for us the ROI would be minimal.

We run brass on our Citizens so having the absolute best tool life isn't terribly important.

Anyone have a favorite supplier who generally comes in cheapest?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best tooling prices for swiss turning tools

If you know how to make tools go with Micro 100. (Just because you work with Brass) Me saying - how to make tools - you need to have AGATHON

With drill grinder attachment you will be able to sharpen drill, boring bars, to make spade drills too.
    I personally think every shop need to have one...Very powerful tool!

https://www.machineseeker.com/Carbid...75-A/i-2115670

http://www.micro100.com/Documents%20...compressed.pdf

130 for holder and insert 35 an you going to use it to cut brass, I do not think that is problem...
    let say you going to change insert every 4000 parts , than insert is only 0.00875..

Good luck...

Downloads
    Uploads

You're right on a per part basis the cost is rather trivial. I suppose I'm just interested in manufacturers who are generally the most reasonable. Every time a new part is needed, the up front costs of tooling up can be substantial (other parts we run have more than twelve tools on the turret).

That grinder is a great idea. Do you have any books you like on grinding carbide tools with that kind of machine? I'm a tool maker by trade but have never worked significantly on cutting tool making. I have ground custom step drills on our surface grinder before, however. Machinery Handbook is generally not specific enough on the exact operation of a machine like that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best tooling prices for swiss turning tools

Book will come with machine, it should..
    Calling before you buy it will be good idea... you will be happy with machine...