ejection problems with Star SR-20RIII

Thread: ejection problems with Star SR-20RIII

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default ejection problems with Star SR-20RIII

I am running some screws that are longer then 55mm and they are not ejecting fully. They are getting hung up with about a the last 3 to 4 mm still in the sub collet. I am using the air blow, high pressure and an ejection pin. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ejection problems with Star SR-20RIII

What type of KO system does your machine have? I know some stars are spring loaded and some have air cylinders.

Have you tried turning a cup/cone into the KO pin? I would take a 60* chamfer tool (or 90* if you dont have a 60) and put a 60* cone into the KO pin all the way to the OD, or very close to it if the KO pin gets caught on the back of the sub collet. That way, the KO pin should naturally center the tip of the screw on ejection.

Another thing to try would be to turn the sub spindle on in the direction that would 'unthread' the screw from the sub collet and let it dwell at the ejection spot for a couple seconds. You'd have to do this at fairly slow RPMs, like 100-200 probably.

Also, props for being the ultimate lurker. 2 posts in 9 years. welcome to the land of the active posters!

CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It has the spring loaded system. I am turning the spindle at 100 RPMs and dwelling for 3 seconds. I will try putting the cone in the KO pin.

I signed up for the Zone when I came across it, wow it has been 9 year now, Haven't been on it much until I started a new job in the last year working on Stars. Was working on Citizens before this job.

Downloads
    Uploads

The spring ejector makes it a little tougher since you cant command it back and forth to possibly dislodge the screw. I think the cone should do it though. It has worked for me in the past at least.

Also, I currently work with citizen but we are looking at some new star machines like the SR10J or the SF25. Do you have any experience with those? How do you like star compared to citizen in general? I always thought I liked Fanuc machines but after understanding the Mitsubishi control more, I think im coming around to love citizens. Have any thoughts about pros/cons between Citizen/Star?

CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have any experience with those machines. We only have the SR-20RIIIs.

I like the Fanuc control better then the Mitsubishi. I also like the auto cutoff on the stars, no need to cutoff then start position like on Citizen. I also like that the main spindle is on the laft hand side of the machine on the Stars. Makes it feel normal to a right handed person.

As for the Citizen I think having the barloader part of the machine is a big advantage. I like the programable knock out pins. I like how the Live tooling is on the gangslide( might be depending on which Star model)