New Machine Build Benchtop PRO 2436 Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchtop PRO 2436 Build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Benchtop PRO 2436 Build

Hello everyone. Just received my CNC Router Parts Benchtop PRO 2436 via UPS all in order, 8 packages weighing in at 285 lbs. Everything well packed and secure. I

opened all packages and put all axis's on top of my router frame. Since this is a kit I will thoroughly check everything.The axis's come pre assembled. I will start with the Z axis first as it is the

smallest and easiest to work with. I removed the dust covers and placed it on my surface plate on top of two 1-2-3 blocks and started indicating. I had found that the router mounting plate is out of parallel with the frame by .032 in 14" and off by .040 in 14"on the side. So I will completely disassemble, square it all up and re assemble.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-zaxis1-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-zaxis-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-2x3_router_table_steel-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-router-render-jpg  

Last edited by sparkness; 11-21-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Benchtop PRO 2436 Build

Day 2, disassembled the Z axis. This was easy only needed 3,4 and 5 size allen wrenches I checked the linear rails and they were not parallel with the frame by .005 in 8" that will fix up easy. my focus now will be to make the base extrusion flat and the linear rail mounting surface's parallel with the bottom and the left side as these will be my datum. in the second pic you can see a bow in the middle up .015" I will put this on the press to straighten out. On the press I pressed the extrusion .380 or so to move it .015 I got it within .0015 that is 10 times better. next I am going to lap the back and the left side,I have a surface plate that has 120 grit self stick emery applied, this works great. Have to keep sanding as the edges are high no sharpie being removed in the middle yet.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-z-disassemble-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-z-axis-bow-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-z-press-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-lapping-jpg  

Last edited by sparkness; 11-22-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you going to flatten the critical 80/20 extrusions too?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will check it and see, i contacted 8020 and they told me .0125 /foot . I finished the Z axis and I had to shim 2 of the bearing blocks .002 and .004 and now I have less than .0005 deviation in 2 planes in 9" of movement. I'm happy now. Next I will check the ballscrew for runout and proper alignment

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-squaring-mounting-plate-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-8020_specs-jpg  
    Last edited by sparkness; 11-23-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Checking the ballscrew, it is high in the middle by .004" I will put this on the press and straighten out using aluminum blocks for support. this shaft is not too far out, I pressed down .200 and got it down to about a thou.Putting the Z axis back together, the end plates are held together with m6 cap screws 16mm in length and they only reach into the base extrusion 8mm, so I am changing them to 25mm length. Checking the bearing block the bearing is not secure due to the fact that the cap screws are not touching the face of the bearing and it is floating in and out .006" the fix is to use button head cap screw that will clamp across the face. This worked. Bearing locknut uses a set screw clamping down on the threads, I added a brass slug under the set screw to keep the threads from becoming damaged.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-ballscrew-whip-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-capscrew-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-capscrew1-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-bearing-block-jpg  

Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-bearing-block-close-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-button-head-clamp-screw-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-locknut-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-brass-slug-jpg  

Last edited by sparkness; 11-24-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can I get you to come rebuild my CNCRP Pro 510? Impressive accuracy you're getting and thanks for sharing such detailed information and pictures about what you're doing. Since I didn't do any of that, I don't want to think about the inaccuracies built into my system but it is working well enough that I have no complaints at all. It isn't perfect but for the wood working I do, it works. Yours should be amazing.

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want to start out as accurate, square, straight and rigid as possible. I will level it and hopefully not have to mess with it for quite a while once it is completed. So I'm just taking my time, fixing everything I don't like.The kit is very beefy , but extrusions, shafting, steel tubing always need some amount of straightening for use in cnc.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm with David... very impressive work you are doing. I'd hate to see how out of tune my 4x8 CNCRP Pro is So don't come to my house...ignorance is bliss

ericks

Excellent work!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Time to get the spindle mount prepped. My spindle is a Chinese 2HP Air cooled from ebay. The spindle itself measured an unbelievable 20-30 millionths of run out at the spindle nose based on my 10ths indicator. The specs for this spindle are .0002 (5 microns), some how I lucked out. The cast aluminum spindle mount needs some love as well. first I honed the bore with a cheap cylinder hone to smooth out the slight machining marks, next I installed the spindle and indicated, it was out by .004" in 4" on the base and .018 in 4" on the side. Set it up in the mill and milled the base. I screwed up and added .004 more taper on my first try. after 2 more attempts got it down to .001 and within 0.003 on the side. it took a while setting it up for machining. Tomorrow I will drill the 120mm spaced mounting holes so I can attach it to the Z Axis.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-spindle_1-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-spindle_runout-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-spindle_2-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-spindle_mount-jpg  

Last edited by sparkness; 11-27-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm working on the X Axis today, as I'm waiting for some new bolts and a cutter to be delivered. same basic story the ball screw is out by .005 in 33" and the base has a bow about.015-.020 , I only have a 24" surface plate,so I will have to check using my 48" straight edge. The straight edge specs are .0011 in 48" so this will work fine. to fit it in the press I will have to set up some saw horses for support as the width of my press is only 24" and 4.5 between the frame rails. I pressed .700" down to straighten the ballscrew. On the ballscrew bearing block I replaced the screws with flanged socket head screws, the flange is 9mm, now the bearing is held in properly. Im also using bearing retaining compound as the bearing is a loose fit in its bore.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-press_x_axis-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-flanged-socket-head-screw-fix-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-bearing_block-new-screws-jpg  
    Last edited by sparkness; 11-29-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finished the spindle mount, I had to make a long cutter out of a router bit to machine the bolt pockets. Z Axis complete and tested. I am getting 300 IPM

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-spindle-mount-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-z-axis-complete-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-3-4-flush-trim-router-bit-jpg  
    Last edited by sparkness; 12-01-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok the x axis is complete the extrusion was reasonably flat. looking at the 8020 gantry extrusion the cuts are out of square by .012" in 12 inches so I will have to mill the ends.The saw cuts are in tolerance from 8020 but for a CNC machine it has to be better than that, the gantry is 31" long and that would make one side .031 lower and put uneven pressure on the linear bearings. I will tram my milling machine just to make sure I mill the ends nice and square. Here is my control MX4660 and Smooth Stepper mounted in a bud industries chassis 12 x 17 x 3.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-20171207_183043-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-20171207_183251-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-20171207_183303-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-control-jpg  

Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-square-jpg  
    Last edited by sparkness; 12-08-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here you see I am measuring the 80 x 80 cross member extrusions the cuts are nice and square but 1 member is .002 - .003" taller and another is .005" taller so I think I will use shim stock to make up the difference. These parts were cut by 8020 and are within there specs.so with a bit of tweaking I can make this machine as straight and square as possible.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-80-x-80-cross-members-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-80x80-cross-members-difference-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-end-shims-jpg  
    Last edited by sparkness; 12-11-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re mounting the bearing rails. First I took a file to the edge of the extrusion to take out any nicks and burrs. Next I hot glued my straight edge to the table then the y extrusion. now with magnetic indicator holder clamped to a 1-2-3 block, The block was sticking to the straight edge due to the magnetic force , so I put some tape on the block - very smooth. Now I was able to dial in the rail in parallel to about a thou.Then from rail to rail I was able to make them parallel under .0005" Now I will finally start to assemble the router.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-y-axis-mounting-bearing-rail-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-y-axis-bearing-rail-jpg   Benchtop PRO 2436 Build-y-axis-glued-jpg  
    Last edited by sparkness; 12-12-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Benchtop PRO 2436 Build

Misalignment, bent ball screws, non matching extrusion lengths, are all of the mentioned & documented issues "standard" from this company? I am not hating on cncrp, I just would like to have a better understanding of the delivered product.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brouser1 View Post
    Misalignment, bent ball screws, non matching extrusion lengths, are all of the mentioned & documented issues "standard" from this company? I am not hating on cncrp, I just would like to have a better understanding of the delivered product.
    I don't have the equipment or the expertise to do the kind of fine tuning that is being done on this thread. That said, I have a CNC-RP Benchtop Pro 2436 which is working very well. There is no binding or unusual sounds on any axis. (I run it at 200ipm, for yucks I briefly ran it at 400 ipm and it worked fine).. My machine is cutting my projects to a precision beyond what I need to measure. I did have a problem with one of my linear actuators that CNC-RP immediately addressed and solved. I'm very happy with my machine.

Here's a link to my build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-ro...p-pro-2x3.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brouser1 View Post
    I don't have the equipment or the expertise to do the kind of fine tuning that is being done on this thread. That said, I have a CNC-RP Benchtop Pro 2436 which is working very well. There is no binding or unusual sounds on any axis. (I run it at 200ipm, for yucks I briefly ran it at 400 ipm and it worked fine).. My machine is cutting my projects to a precision beyond what I need to measure. I did have a problem with one of my linear actuators that CNC-RP immediately addressed and solved. I'm very happy with my machine.

Here's a link to my build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-ro...p-pro-2x3.html

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the pro4896 (upgraded from a pro 4848) and I agree with Don, I have not done anything like this level of investigation/remediation of perceived issues. I assembled it carefully following their instructions and could not be happier - it works GREAT / no issues. I have completed dozens of projects and the only issues have been human in nature as I learn CNC and Vectric software. Would recommend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What I'm doing here is documenting my build. The errors I am coming up with is very minor but I have a need to know and would like to show how easily you can find and correct some problems with a few simple tools. The ball screws all have a small whip of no more than .006" I could have left them alone as I am spinning them less than 600 RPM . for comparison my boat propeller shaft must be less than or equal to .002" as it can spin up to 2000 rpm. the extrusions no matter who supplies them can have some bow to them. I'm dialing in this router as if it were a milling machine because I can, and would like to accurately cut aluminum. I think just putting this kit together as is will work fine with just a few normal table squaring and spindle adjustments. CNC-RP has been great, I explained the issue with the bearing being loose,it was missing a shim -human error. But they acknowledged my fix with the larger head cap screws.Also remember this is a kit not a turnkey solution. I'm happy with this kit as I do not see any others offered on the market this heavy duty.

Last edited by sparkness; 12-13-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast