Hole center finding (digitizer probes) on CNCRP

Thread: Hole center finding (digitizer probes) on CNCRP

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hole center finding (digitizer probes) on CNCRP

Anyone tried putting a digitizer on an CNCRP (and their controller)? I'm interested in what hardware you used and how you hooked it up to their controller?

Basically, I want to be able to find the center of a hole and set it as X,Y origin.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hole center finding (digitizer probes) on CNCRP

Well, I was hoping to see some replies to your post. I've wondered about this myself. I looked at several eBay probes and they claim accuracy of ~ +/- 0.005". That's not bad for what I do. I built my own edge finer and use a 1/4" ground dowel as my probe. That works pretty well. I have not really tried to get an idea of how accurate that is though. Plenty of room for error there.

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goonk View Post
    Well, I was hoping to see some replies to your post. I've wondered about this myself. I looked at several eBay probes and they claim accuracy of ~ +/- 0.005". That's not bad for what I do. I built my own edge finer and use a 1/4" ground dowel as my probe. That works pretty well. I have not really tried to get an idea of how accurate that is though. Plenty of room for error there.
    Yeah, I've tried that but wasn't quite successful.

I have the CNCRP corner finder probe, and thought I could switch to that and moved my origin to the corner of a vacuum jig. Unfortunately, I ended up with about a 1 mm error on locating. I suspect it's due more due to inaccuracy when cutting the profile outline of the jig (I had the bit coded as .250" when in fact it is .244"). And this is two sided processing, so I absolutely must know where it is when flipped over.

So I'm back to using the indexing hole that the piece sits in on the jig as the origin, which ensures that I know where the piece is. No TOO bad to lower a bit (or in this case calibration blank into the hole and spin it around), but would be nice to have it probed.

Downloads
    Uploads

My edge finder is pretty crude! I hacked up an acrylic award that I got at work - cut an inside 90, attached 1/16" Al plates to that, then added wires. The offset is the thickness of the Al and that gives me a ledge to rest on the work piece. I wrote a script to work with it. Need to test the accuracy of it someday.

I've done a few double sided projects. I ended up drilling two index holes through the work and into my spoil board, then using ground 1/4" dowels to locate. That seems to work pretty well. Again, I haven't measured anything. I just finished up work on a table project. To get "woodworking" tolerances, I just used an engraving bit to mark a line about 0.010" deep along X. I used that line to align my pieces too using my 2.5x glasses. That all worked out pretty well too. I've been using a center finder bit a lot to locate the center of my work. That requires lots of light and those 2.5's again! That gets me close enough for woodworking. Honestly, I've been pleasantly surprised at how well that project has gone given that I have done multiple operations on each piece (inlay, hole drilling, etc.) and not really messed anything up and everything has come out pretty well measurement wise.

This is still in the rough....lots of work left to do...this is a combination of hand and CNC work...

Tony

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hole center finding (digitizer probes) on CNCRP-table-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using Bill Griggs edge finder with the Big Tex screen set and I am happy with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Seen that one. Nice looking piece. A little expensive. Mine cost me well, almost nothing. His is much nicer though! Tempting.... I like that his is all in one basically. Hmmmm....

Beautiful table!

Quote Originally Posted by Goonk View Post
    My edge finder is pretty crude! I hacked up an acrylic award that I got at work - cut an inside 90, attached 1/16" Al plates to that, then added wires. The offset is the thickness of the Al and that gives me a ledge to rest on the work piece. I wrote a script to work with it. Need to test the accuracy of it someday.

I've done a few double sided projects. I ended up drilling two index holes through the work and into my spoil board, then using ground 1/4" dowels to locate. That seems to work pretty well. Again, I haven't measured anything. I just finished up work on a table project. To get "woodworking" tolerances, I just used an engraving bit to mark a line about 0.010" deep along X. I used that line to align my pieces too using my 2.5x glasses. That all worked out pretty well too. I've been using a center finder bit a lot to locate the center of my work. That requires lots of light and those 2.5's again! That gets me close enough for woodworking. Honestly, I've been pleasantly surprised at how well that project has gone given that I have done multiple operations on each piece (inlay, hole drilling, etc.) and not really messed anything up and everything has come out pretty well measurement wise.

This is still in the rough....lots of work left to do...this is a combination of hand and CNC work...

Tony