Casters for my Pro 4896

Thread: Casters for my Pro 4896

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Casters for my Pro 4896

Hi All... Has anyone put casters on the CNCRouterParts leg kit. I am needing make this beast mobile to accomodate some other tools. I am looking at the FootMaster line of casters as they provide extreme weight handling capacities and will lower directly to the floor for stability.

https://www.amazon.com/FOOTMASTER/b/...bin=FOOTMASTER

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Casters for my Pro 4896

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCNCnewb View Post
    Hi All... Has anyone put casters on the CNCRouterParts leg kit. I am needing make this beast mobile to accomodate some other tools. I am looking at the FootMaster line of casters as they provide extreme weight handling capacities and will lower directly to the floor for stability.

Thanks for the link. Those look pretty hefty. When I talked to the guys at cncrp, they recommended not doing it. But if I did it, to use trailer wheel jacks. The ones with the big rubber tire and a handle to lower it.
    I never did it, because those are huge. The thing with the feet on that leg set is that they are adjustable for leveling. How would you attach these casters?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ubergeekseven View Post
    Thanks for the link. Those look pretty hefty. When I talked to the guys at cncrp, they recommended not doing it. But if I did it, to use trailer wheel jacks. The ones with the big rubber tire and a handle to lower it.
    I never did it, because those are huge. The thing with the feet on that leg set is that they are adjustable for leveling. How would you attach these casters?

Looking more at the link, it seems like those would work. They level, hold extreme weight and are well made. The other thing to worry about would be the movement of parts while moving the machine. Going out of square.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking more at the link, it seems like those would work. They level, hold extreme weight and are well made. The other thing to worry about would be the movement of parts while moving the machine. Going out of square.

https://levelingcasterstore.com/coll...0-lbs-capacity

Although these are overkill they have an M16 stem so it should be plug and play. Over 300 bucks of plug and play but should more than do the job... Also investigating Blickle casters that have a foot lever.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

https://levelingcasterstore.com/coll...0-lbs-capacity

Although these are overkill they have an M16 stem so it should be plug and play. Over 300 bucks of plug and play but should more than do the job... Also investigating Blickle casters that have a foot lever.

I guess the price comes down to which ones you choose. Some are $38 each and hold around 500 pounds each. If you use 6 on a 4x8 table, that itself is overkill. Unless you're weighting the base with concrete or something, I think they are work trying. Now that I know they exist in this format, I'm going to give it a shot at some point. My area is tight and gives access on two sides and 1 for loading wood.
    I won't do it for a while, so I'm going to keep looking at this thread in hopes that it's updated with an answer after used.

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess the price comes down to which ones you choose. Some are $38 each and hold around 500 pounds each. If you use 6 on a 4x8 table, that itself is overkill. Unless you're weighting the base with concrete or something, I think they are work trying. Now that I know they exist in this format, I'm going to give it a shot at some point. My area is tight and gives access on two sides and 1 for loading wood.
    I won't do it for a while, so I'm going to keep looking at this thread in hopes that it's updated with an answer after used.

I just looked at the Blickle line of caster and although i like the foot pedal concept we are talking about over 100 bucks a caster...even I'm not that crazy or made of money. I'm looking towards the Footmaster units that have the ratchet adjustment feature.

Last edited by DaveCNCnewb; 10-24-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I understand the wish to be able to move the system around. When I built the frame for my FineLine system, I tried to use a knockoff version of these, and was not impressed. They were very wobbly when the machine was on the leveling feet. There are a few problems with them:

1) The feet are coated in rubber, so they tend to flex. This is probably the smallest issue.
    2) The feet don't spin with the adjustment thread. Instead, the threaded rod rotates with the adjuster wheel or lever. The threaded rod has to bear weight on the main casting, but it still has to spin, so they end up screwing a very small screw into the end of the threaded rod. The end of the threaded rod sits on a bearing with only the weight of the machine as pre-load (maybe 150-200 lbs in your case). This means that there is very little to keep the threaded rod from flexing at that joint.

As I said, I tried a knock-off version, so the Footmaster version might be a little better. Either way, the bearing that supports the caster relies on the weight of the machine for preload, so it will never be as stiff as a leveling foot. With standard leveling feet, you can add a lock nut and put some real preload on the thread (Easily 12000 lbs on a 1/2" thread if not way more) which helps make it stiffer. Something like this would work better with regular leveling feet:

Workbench Locking Caster Kit (4 Pack) - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Unfortunately, these are not really rated for the weight of a 48x96 CNC machine. If you aren't going to move it too often, you could use standard leveling feet and mount standard casters off the sides of the legs. When you need to move it, lower the machine onto the casters, then re-level the machine in the new location. You probably will have to re-level the machine anyway, unless you are lucky enough to have a really nice floor.

Ultimately, I decided to just use leveling feet alone. If I need to move the system, I will use a floor jack to jack it up and put it on either moving dollies or dolly casters like this:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...aster-6-in-dia

-Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DDgitfiddle View Post
    I understand the wish to be able to move the system around. When I built the frame for my FineLine system, I tried to use a knockoff version of these, and was not impressed. They were very wobbly when the machine was on the leveling feet. There are a few problems with them:

1) The feet are coated in rubber, so they tend to flex. This is probably the smallest issue.
    2) The feet don't spin with the adjustment thread. Instead, the threaded rod rotates with the adjuster wheel or lever. The threaded rod has to bear weight on the main casting, but it still has to spin, so they end up screwing a very small screw into the end of the threaded rod. The end of the threaded rod sits on a bearing with only the weight of the machine as pre-load (maybe 150-200 lbs in your case). This means that there is very little to keep the threaded rod from flexing at that joint.

As I said, I tried a knock-off version, so the Footmaster version might be a little better. Either way, the bearing that supports the caster relies on the weight of the machine for preload, so it will never be as stiff as a leveling foot. With standard leveling feet, you can add a lock nut and put some real preload on the thread (Easily 12000 lbs on a 1/2" thread if not way more) which helps make it stiffer. Something like this would work better with regular leveling feet:

Workbench Locking Caster Kit (4 Pack) - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Unfortunately, these are not really rated for the weight of a 48x96 CNC machine. If you aren't going to move it too often, you could use standard leveling feet and mount standard casters off the sides of the legs. When you need to move it, lower the machine onto the casters, then re-level the machine in the new location. You probably will have to re-level the machine anyway, unless you are lucky enough to have a really nice floor.

Ultimately, I decided to just use leveling feet alone. If I need to move the system, I will use a floor jack to jack it up and put it on either moving dollies or dolly casters like this:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...aster-6-in-dia

-Robert
    Thank you for that reasoned response Robert. In reality I don't expect to move it often at all. So in the end perhaps the best course of action is to, as you said, jack it up, put it on some moving dollies and lower it down in the desired location. My floor is definitly not perfect so I excpect I will be releveling. Where I am moving it will require me to move my very heavy workbench so I may end up with those bench casters in either case

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you've made up your mind to go another direction but I though I'd share my very good experience with the footmaster casters. My machine is quite a bit smaller than yours (a benchtop pro 24x36 in an enclosure) and I used 8 casters rather than 6. They have worked fine and, using the self contained ratchet adjustment (about $5 more per caster), it's quite easy to put the machine on its wheels and then extend the pads to lock the machine in place. On my smaller machine, these eight casters with the pads extended are rock solid and easy to adjust to my uneven shop floor. Here's a photo of my machine on its footmaster casters:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Casters for my Pro 4896-170618-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    It sounds like you've made up your mind to go another direction but I though I'd share my very good experience with the footmaster casters. My machine is quite a bit smaller than yours (a benchtop pro 24x36 in an enclosure) and I used 8 casters rather than 6. They have worked fine and, using the self contained ratchet adjustment (about $5 more per caster), it's quite easy to put the machine on its wheels and then extend the pads to lock the machine in place. On my smaller machine, these eight casters with the pads extended are rock solid and easy to adjust to my uneven shop floor. Here's a photo of my machine on its footmaster casters:

What's in the top portion? Dust collection?

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow thats an awesome setup... I don't expect to need it to be mobile after moving it.

Downloads
    Uploads

The enclosure is for sound attenuation and dust confinement. Here's a link to the build log where I assembled the router and made its enclosure: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-ro...p-pro-2x3.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a caster idea for you. The first was what I was going to do, second is what i did. Used adjustable heavy duty leg levelers under each leg and mounted 4" casters just a little off the ground. You level the leg risers with a wrench, when you want to move usingthe wheels you just screw the levelers up until the wheels touch the ground. Has worked great for me.
    Casters for my Pro 4896-caster1-jpg Casters for my Pro 4896-2013-12-01-16-55-jpg