New CNCRP 4896 Build log

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CNCRP 4896 Build log

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool New CNCRP 4896 Build log

I ordered my new 4x8 Pro kit from Ahren & Cory last Monday and was told a 3 week lead time which is ok so I can get things ready in my shop..

I was building a Joe's Hybrid 4x8 machine but after 5 years of little progress, I thought it best to buy this kit instead.. No holes to drill & tap!! Sad part is, I have all the parts and supplies needed to build the Joe's CNC on hand.. My wife is not thrilled... We chatted about it before placing the order.. I thought I had permission to pull the trigger.. Apparently we were "still discussing it".. Only had to sleep on the couch one night before she came to terms with the whole thing.. She will kill me if I buy the Plug & Play controller I'm guessing.. She already knows I'm buying the spindle package.. Since I have all the parts from my failed Joe's build, I am thinking maybe I can build the controller myself from those.. I have all the usual parts: PMDX-126, PMDX-134, PMDX-107, Geco G203v's, Power supply, cabinet, etc.. When I originally bought the NEMA 34 steppers from CNCRP, I also purchased the cabinet connectors.. My smooth stepper is the USB version.. Will this be ok of I pay attention to isolation or should I upgrade to the Ethernet version?

I was building a table for my Joe's CNC, but opted for the leg kit.. Not sure what I will do with all those other parts yet.. Part of the reasoning I used for buying this new kit was that I could sell the parts since they are all brand new.. But where would one sell such things? ugh.. Maybe I will put them aside and someday finish the build.. Selling a working machine would be easier than selling parts maybe..

Only thing I didn't purchase yet for the other build was a dust collection system.. I read somewhere that if you are machining MDF it's best to have a 1 micron filter? Any suggestions of a setup for a really tight budget and an angry spouse?

Included a few pic's of my 5 year progress with the Joe's CNC build.. though I was building the CastCNC version.. The table I built was damn solid but figured "In for a penny, In for a pound" and got the leg kit... Less worries about being flat & level..

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New CNCRP 4896 Build log-rail-jpg   New CNCRP 4896 Build log-machine-jpg   New CNCRP 4896 Build log-base-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New CNCRP 4896 Build log

Best of luck with your build. I can certainly empathize regarding the wife aggro. Mine required some convincing as well. I wish I could offer advice regarding your electronics questions but I went with the full kit. I am sure Ahren and Cory will guide you as will others here on the forum...they were an enormous help to me during my build.

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Wavfact;2106362
    Only thing I didn't purchase yet for the other build was a dust collection system.. I read somewhere that if you are machining MDF it's best to have a 1 micron filter? Any suggestions of a setup for a really tight budget and an angry spouse?
    [/QUOTE]

I believe that adequate dust collection is real important unless your machine is in a dedicated room that can get real messy. Your wife will likely become very displeased if you fill your workshop with dust (especially if it's MDF). For my machine using a 1.5 kW spindle, I found that a 1.5 hp dust collector with 4" collecting ducts is a little more than necessary (which is much better than a little less). I initially tried a Fein vacuum with 2" hose and found that to be inadequate. I use a 10 year old Oneida cyclone dust collector with a 1.5 hp Baldor motor rated for continuous use and found it to work well for cutting sessions exceeding 24 hrs. My shop is located in California where the climate is mild and the shop itself has no gas appliances like a water heater, etc so I don't have to worry about drawing carbon monoxide down a flue. Consequently, I simply evacuate the scant amount of dust that escapes the cyclone out a window and don't have to worry about filters.

Good luck with your machine.

One more suggestion: One of your very first projects should be something for your wife. My very first project with my first CNC machine years ago was a crudely engraved cutting board that my wife that still has on display in our kitchen.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am going with the 2.2kw Spindle from CNCRP when they get more stock around November 9th.. Been looking at dust collection systems, price isn't too bad but most I looked at require 220v AC when looking around the 3HP range. Found a really nice used one on Craigslist for $800

I decided against building my own controller and pulled the trigger on CNCRP's Plug & Play system.. I got an email from Cory saying they consolidated my orders (4 so far as I had to spread the cost over a few cards!) and he will add the Spindle when I play that order so "everything arrives around the same time" so I am guessing they are more than 3 weeks out on shipping.. Which is ok, I am excited to build this machine but have lots to do out in my Garage to get ready for it..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Wavfact View Post
    I am going with the 2.2kw Spindle from CNCRP .
    I think that is a good decision. Spindles are so much better that routers!

I also think you were wise to go with CNCRP's Plug and Play controller. I am real pleased with their NEMA 23 controller on my smaller system. It's nice to have a quality box with secure connections, good documentation, and excellent support.

Downloads
    Uploads

I totally agree with Don.
    That was probably a wise choice unless you just like to build your own electronics systems. My time is more valuable than any money I would save doing it myself and I already know after building a few myself, that I just don't care for it too much.

I have two of the plug and play systems now as well as the spindle system. Great stuff.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got a couple ship notifications yesterday.. So far, just the Proximity sensors, Spindle mounting plates, misc accessories I bought, Tool setter and the NEMA 34 Plug & Play system.. Machine hasn't shipped yet but its a start! Getting excited now.. The Spindle is on back order till around the 9th of November so think mid month I will be assembling..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just got a ship notice from UPS that CNCRP sent me 10 packages, each about 28 lbs, they are coming direct from 80/20 in Indiana.. Those will arrive tomorrow.. Damn, need to make room in my garage now!

Downloads
    Uploads

I think just about every thread on here about a CRP router contains that last sentence or something to that effect.

I will be watching closely. Good luck with the build, but I don't think you will need much luck.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lol, I bet that's true.. I thought I have 2 more weeks to prepare.. Oh well..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yesterday, I got ANOTHER ship notification from UPS, this time from 80/20.. Seems my entire machine (less Plug & Play Controller & Spindle) will be here today! Since 80/20 is in the next state, it's one day delivery.. Spent all morning cleaning a spot big enough to put all the boxes from UPS.. Not even close to what I need to build the machine but at least it will all be in out of the weather.. I'll post some pic's later today in case anyone is interested in seeing just how big a pile of boxes will be for a CNCRP 4896 Pro will be.. lol

The Controller Package and misc parts will be here next Tuesday but I don't expect the Spindle to arrive for a couple weeks at least..

Downloads
    Uploads

Yesterday, I got ANOTHER ship notification from UPS, this time from 80/20.. Seems my entire machine (less Plug & Play Controller & Spindle) will be here today! Since 80/20 is in the next state, it's one day delivery.. Spent all morning cleaning a spot big enough to put all the boxes from UPS.. Not even close to what I need to build the machine but at least it will all be in out of the weather.. I'll post some pic's later today in case anyone is interested in seeing just how big a pile of boxes will be for a CNCRP 4896 Pro will be.. lol

The Controller Package and misc parts will be here next Tuesday but I don't expect the Spindle to arrive for a couple weeks at least..
    Here's a sneak peak of what to expect. Your anticipation brings back great memories.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Damn.. my wife seen that picture and now wants me to bring the trash bins inside! THANKS! lol

That doesn't seem too bad.. That just the CNCRP shipment? wasn't sure how long the 80/20 parts would be so I made sure I had room for a 10' box.. just in case..

Downloads
    Uploads

The spindle is always the last thing you install anyway, so much like the Haas factory operates, the parts arrive just in time.

Lee

ericks

Exciting stuff all the best with your build!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Damn.. my wife seen that picture and now wants me to bring the trash bins inside! THANKS! lol

That doesn't seem too bad.. That just the CNCRP shipment? wasn't sure how long the 80/20 parts would be so I made sure I had room for a 10' box.. just in case..
    Yes that was just the CncRP stuff. Here's the 8020...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice.. how long did it take you to assemble?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think it took about 30 hours over the course of several weeks. I had the original Pro with vcon rails and then upgraded to the linear rails shortly afterwards....so that added to the overall time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Take your time on the build and it will progress smoothly. Enjoy!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It arrived! Was pacing back and forth in my driveway waiting for the UPS truck.. Then he passes by my house and stops at the one next door! My first thought was, he's delivering to the wrong house! When he only carried a small box to the door my shock went away..

This pile is minus the Controller, Motors, wiring and Spindle.. I thought I'd have some 10 ft long boxes but I guess these splice together for the Y axis?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New CNCRP 4896 Build log-5-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast