Pro4896 - Things you wish you knew before you started

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro4896 - Things you wish you knew before you started

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pro4896 - Things you wish you knew before you started

I am about to start building my Pro4896 Nema 34 kit and I want to make sure I do the best job I can during assembly. I thought it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on what they wish they knew about assembly/operation of the system before they started. Things like assembly tricks and hints, upgrades or modifications they wish they made early on, ect. For example, do you wish you used Loc-Tite on all of the screws in the system or is it only needed on the drive train.

Thank you!
    Keith

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pro4896 - Things you wish you knew before you started

Do people use loc-tite on them at all? I didn't, now i want to know. There are tons of bolts, so out would suck to redo it. Not to mention getting those red caps out. That's a day, massive half day of work.
    The instructions are very good. One thing i would say, make sure you run your electric where you want everything to be. Not sure if you got the spindle, or a router. But i have a router right now and need to run another line to it. You can use the relay in the controller box for it, but if the power isn't seperate, there could be interference. So make sure that you have your router power and another line for the controller and another for dust collection of being triggered by the relay, right next to each other.
    If you're using a router, you have an extension cord on it to the controller and then running from the controller to power. That could be a long run.
    Spend as much time as you can leveling before moving on. It will save hassle later. I still don't have mine trammed well and I have to take the spoilboard off,in a small area, considering it's mostly filled with the crp4896.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, also, i overtightened my belts. Started hearing a click twice every revolution. They do not need to be that tight. About a 1/4 inch of deflection with your finger pressure should do. They work well surprisingly without much tightening at all.

Downloads
    Uploads

ON my first build (previous Pro version) I did have one of the gantry riser bolts work loose, and that's a bad thing because if the t-nut slips off and slides down (which it did), you can't get it back. Fortunately there are so many of them.... but I feel this was mostly do missing it for finally torque check when I was putting it together.

However, on the rebuild with latest pro component, I DID you loc-tite (blue, NOT red!) on the two bolts on TOP of the gantry riser which are buried when assembled. There's no way to get to these without removing the gantry, so I did treat them. The rest, I haven't seen any tendency to come loose. It's probably not a bad idea, but there are a LOT of bolts, and the right way to do loc-tite is time consuming.

Also, think hard about your support table (if you don't use the leg kit) and positioning on that. Will you want to be able to clamp boards vertically to do CNC dovetails? You'll want to make sure your base can accommodate that.

Think about dust collection hose and where it will run.

You'll want to be able to 'walk around' the machine after it's set up, so don't put it in a corner up against the wall.

When assembling the base, measure the spacing on the cross members VERY carefully and make it a nice even number for the center to center measurements on the T-slot, will make automating of spoiler board creation mucho easier (I have mine drill pilot holes for holds-downs that screw into the t-tracks in those cross members).

When you're putting on the gantry risers, make sure they are "right side up". There are holes only one end. Don't ask why know this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did purchase the leg kit for the router so hopefully it will be nice and stable. I am leaning toward not using loc-tite on the leg assemble mostly because it will be tedious and if some of them do loosen up they will be easy to tighten down.

I am considering adding four additional 4080 pieces between the legs, two on each side. My thought is that this will help stiffen up the frame as well as providing more support for the plywood surface I am planning on putting on the lower supports for storage space.

Has anyone added plywood/MDF side panels to the leg kit to add more stiffness? What about adding sandbags under the table to add mass and cut down on vibration?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S View Post
    I did purchase the leg kit for the router so hopefully it will be nice and stable. I am leaning toward not using loc-tite on the leg assemble mostly because it will be tedious and if some of them do loosen up they will be easy to tighten down.

I am considering adding four additional 4080 pieces between the legs, two on each side. My thought is that this will help stiffen up the frame as well as providing more support for the plywood surface I am planning on putting on the lower supports for storage space.

Has anyone added plywood/MDF side panels to the leg kit to add more stiffness? What about adding sandbags under the table to add mass and cut down on vibration?
    I am planning on enclosing the sides and adding storage under. I have the leg kit and it seems very stable to me. I have noticed, with nothing at all but the machine and mdf on top, that there are vibrations. Sand bags are a good idea. Adding more extrusions could help too. But it's pretty stiff as is. I need to design a sliding shelf and a lift before i enclose everything. Then i can easily store full sheets and Jack them up to the table level to slide on. Should increase storage in my shop and help with weight.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S View Post

That's probably a waste of time/money structurally. The way to stiffen a frame is with diagonals (and the leg kit has some rather beefy ones already).

Another thing you could do is like I did... I CNC'd some X shaped diagonals in 3/4 ply and fastened them to my base frame (you'll need to use T-nut bolts for that). and that helped a lot and was rather cheap. Will get a picture for you in a bit.

Downloads
    Uploads

@Keith S:

Pro4896 - Things you wish you knew before you started-img_3836-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Good idea!

Regarding loctite, while it's not a bad idea, aluminum can act as it's own lockwasher. IE there is enough compression and give to the aluminum itself (in fact the slots on the 80/20 extrusion are specifically designed to be able to be pulled towards the fastener to help lock everything together... They call this the "2 degree drop lock" ). So assuming you tighten things down well enough, I don't expect loctite to be as useful as it is in other applications.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I asked the question, didn't get an answer from crp. I was wondering the optimal torque while building. That would have been a good piece of information.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Richmaple View Post
    Regarding loctite, while it's not a bad idea, aluminum can act as it's own lockwasher. IE there is enough compression and give to the aluminum itself (in fact the slots on the 80/20 extrusion are specifically designed to be able to be pulled towards the fastener to help lock everything together... They call this the "2 degree drop lock" ). So assuming you tighten things down well enough, I don't expect loctite to be as useful as it is in other applications
    Yeah, after 17 years with my Harley, I tend to want to loc-tite EVERYTHING.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    Yeah, after 17 years with my Harley, I tend to want to loc-tite EVERYTHING.
    You didn't wish that year 1? Pro4896 - Things you wish you knew before you started

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When we built our Pro 48x48 this summer, we checked with CRP and they said no Loctite needed except for the setscrews on the pulleys for the belt drive. Blue of course, not red. We followed their advice, and just made sure we had each fastener good 'n tight. I thought CRP's instructions and support during the build were outstanding.

We built our own very heavy table out of 2x8's and plywood, and one mistake we made was causing an interference between the table and the cable tray which runs along the side of the machine. It was easy to remedy - we just attached the tray to the table instead of to the machine. Of course with the CRP table kit this would not be a problem.

I wish we would have done something nicer with our table design to protect the limit switches - we just added a 2x4 protruding out to serve as a barrier protecting the switch.

Another issue with building your own table - make sure you decide how to attach the extruded rails to the table. Again, not an issue if you get CRP's table kit.

Make sure you dont take the plastic retainer out of the linear slides - it should get pushed out as you slide it on the rail. (As another poster said, dont ask me how I know this ).

Hope this helps - enjoy your awesome machine!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic7 View Post

Another issue with building your own table - make sure you decide how to attach the extruded rails to the table. Again, not an issue if you get CRP's table kit.
    For this, 8020 has right angle brackets for the extrusions that I used to screw them into the table table top. Scr

ew on one half, t-nut bolt into the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic7 View Post
    Make sure you dont take the plastic retainer out of the linear slides - it should get pushed out as you slide it on the rail. (As another poster said, dont ask me how I know this ).
    Yeah, NOW you tell me (it is actually in the instructions if you pay attention, which I didn't). and..oh... is that another loose ball bearing on the floor?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post

Yeah, NOW you tell me (it is actually in the instructions if you pay attention, which I didn't)

LOL, I even read that in the instructions, but I just had to take a look :/. Maybe they should put a picture of the guts in the instructions to keep the looky-loos from taking a peek!

Downloads
    Uploads

So I'm a rule follower and didn't look (but thought a out it) - can you describe what was behind retainer #1?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you everyone for your advice. I started the assembly last night and made it through the leg/table assembly. I agree that the instructions are outstanding. If it wasn't for the weight of the parts I think my kids would build it just like a lego kit!

After seeing how well things are going together I am going to hold off on using loc-tite except on the drive set screws.

I did have an issue with one of the gussets. I think that when they welded the flat plate on the metal warped and it will not sit flat. Do you think that this will cause any issues down the line? I don't want to torque the bolts down for fear of slightly warping the aluminum rail.

Pro4896 - Things you wish you knew before you started-img_2105-1-jpg Pro4896 - Things you wish you knew before you started-img_2103-1-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Put an adjustable wrench on the flange and bend it down.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I sent CNCRouterParts an email showing them the bent gusset. They got right back to me and are shipping me a new one no questions asked! I love their customer service!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast