ESS Out of Data error...again!

Thread: ESS Out of Data error...again!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default ESS Out of Data error...again!

I was cutting an inlay this weekend. Nothing particularly exciting...when I got the error again. I've done everything I can find and yet I still get this now and then. anyway, my question is about the Controller Frequency setting on the Main Config screen. Mine is set at 500 Hz. Would it help if I set it to 250? My setup is an i5 ( I think) with 8Gb, plenty of drive space, everything is turned off, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, I restarted the program after I made sure my coords were stil ok (they seemed to be) and it ran right through. The program only ran 4 1/2 minutes before it bombed the first time, but it ran all the way through (~ 6 minutes) the second time.

Tony

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ESS Out of Data error...again!

Hi, Tony,

This is Andy from Warp9. If your computer has WiFi (or other internet access), I could remote connect into it, and see iff I can find any other setting or applications that may be causing this problem.

One other question, since it is summer, was your computer particularly hot when this happened?

Andy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also, it is possible that you *might* have a loose Ethernet cable on one end or the other, or that it could have a bad wire on the inside that might break continuity once in a while due to movement. You could try a different Ethernet cable and see if that solves this once in a while Ran out of Data message.

Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that was fast! Thanks! I do have access (although I keep it turned off!). I'll check the cable too. All of my cables and such are brand new, but I will double check. I might take you up and a remote connection. I'm sure you might see something I don't. I am currently working 9-5, but I do work from home now and then, so maybe we could set something up. Much thanks for the help.

Oh, my shop has AC. It rarely gets above 78°F in there. I do run a dust collector. I have my power for the machine running through a nice strip that is supposed to clean up the AC (a panel mount affair meant for audio I believe), but could there be noise in the Ethernet cable? Thinking out loud here...there is a connection between the machine and the laptop (like a panel mount Ethernet connector, so there is actually two cables and the connector. Maybe I'll eliminate that too. Trouble is, it is fairly intermittent, so it will be hard to know what worked.

Thanks,
    Tony

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, Tony,

Here is a new plugin that will log things a little bit, and let us know how stable Mach3 is in calling the ESS plugin every tenth of a second. You will need to log into our forum to access it.

Try this plugin out, and if you do get a ran out of data Error close Mach3 and send me the text file "C:\Mach3\Plugins\Ran Out Of Data Error Logging.txt" before you run Mach3 again.

If you can run a job without problems, send it to me anyways, so I can see how stable your system is. We can schedule a time tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Andy. I installed the plugin and ran a few items yesterday. No issues. I will get the file to you to look at soon. I meant to bring it with me to work this morning, but I forgot. I removed the Ethernet connector in between the laptop and the box. Didn't change any settings.

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Tony!

Just to be clear, if it does pop up a Ran out of Data message, close Mach3 and move "C:\Mach3\Plugins\Ran Out Of Data Error Logging.txt" to a different folder. The next time you run Mach3, that file will be overwritten.

Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. Will do.

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goonk View Post
    Ok. Thanks for the clarification. Will do.

Tony
    +1 for loose network cable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the log file. This was a successful run (or even a few runs?). Well, the file is way to big (4+Mb).

Thanks,

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

I had this happen recently too. But, I am running Windows 10. If you are, i would suggest doing several other background limiting things. First, depending on the manufacturer ( mine is Lenovo), remove all possible applications that came with the computer default image. Any sort of auto update software that they want you to use should be trashed. Also, windows 10 loves to randomly install things that you'll never use, or that monitor you and suggest you use it every so often. Skype is one of these. But, don't forget to uninstall any app from the store. Skype has a regular installation as well as an app installation.
    Get rid of any antivirus besides windows defender. They all suck anyway and will likely lead to security risks that you wouldn't have without them. Plus, you shouldn't have it connected to the web anyway.
    Kill Cortana, there are ways to disable Cortana for real instead of the hide in the background thing they offer. But it must be done with either a local group policy or a registry key modification.
    Cortana seems to be post of the indexing system now. But it's not like you're going to be searching your files like you would a normal setup, so who cares.
    I have resolved my issue entirely by eliminating as many background applications as i could. Have not had an issue since. When they were running, some processes would spike to 99% of my CPU capability. Them, the eye would be thrown. And it makes sense of you think about it. If the communication is supposed to happen for however many ms it takes, while the processor is trying to thread some requests from the Cortana service on what burger you should buy next, the communication may be missed. Going at a lower rate might not help if the CPU is bogged down at that moment.
    If it's not windows 10, it could be a similar issue, but windows 10 loves background processes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help. I am running 10 as well. I've spent lots of time trying to kill as much "stuff" as I could. I have it paired down pretty well. Yesterday, I saw an error I had not seen before. I was not even running a program. I was changing tools. There may have been a script running, but I can't remember. I was in a hurry and didn't record the message, but it was one of those where it offers to attempt to recover. I lost my machine coordinates and my job coordinates. That really messed up my project. I set the same zero point, but it was off enough that things didn't line up well. Frustrating! The parts came out beautiful, but things were not aligned properly (everything after the error was off).

I used the same tool (V bit) to locate my job origin, but I was still off. For now on, I might take the time to use a locator bit I have (1/2 diameter with a very sharp point) and make a small dimple at 0,0 in case something happens. Extra step, but it might save a project.

Tony

Last edited by Goonk; 08-15-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok,I grabbed a smaller file so I could upload it....

Thanks,

Tony

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

I had an error that said it lost communication, but probably not steps, so press go and everything should be fine. Or something like that. That was my first error. I pressed resume and the cutter buried itself and ran an arc. Nothing called for any movement like that. But creating a 0 point is a good idea. Maybe a seperate 0 script and a grounded sewing needle in the 0 position. Then you could touch off again and compensate for the tiny offset of the needle? Might be more work than needed, but it's real annoying losing position in the middle of something.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I was afraid to tell it to attempt recovery and keep going. I was concerned I might do more damage than just to the wood! I was trying to think up a zeroing scheme, but the best I have so far is using a very fine pointed tool and a dimple. Not sure why I was off as much as I was after I re-zeroed. Not sure if it was me or the machine/software? I eyeballed it very carefully and assumed I would have been off by 0,020" or so, but it was more than that.

Hmm, wonder if you made a corner cleat with a circle in the top, then used the center finder / probe to find the center of that circle, then apply the offset of the actual corner to the center of the circle jig? That would work. Might play with it. I made an edge/corner (and wrote a script) finder that works real well. That might be just as good? It is like the typical corner jigs out on the web (not my idea in other words). Mine is very crude but it does work. Needs a fairly 90° corner to be consistent. I don't use it much because I just don't typically need it - eyeballing the corner is usually fine...usually! ha!

Come to think of it, the corner jig thing might be a hair better than my eyes!

I'd still like to avoid the errors all together, but I guess things happen now and then...

Tony