Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro

I've searched but haven't found anything - looking for ideas/plans/thoughts on something to protect the proximity limit sensors on the sides of the CRCRP Pro machine.

In case I'm not describing it correctly, it's this:
    https://goo.gl/images/eqKPtH - the part sticking in the upper left quadrant of this image.

Any help/ideas welcome - it's likely a matter of days (possibly hours) before I bash one while I'm getting this tuned up and running.

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro

That's a good question and one of the few things I can fault in the CNCRP design.

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ctbjdm View Post
    I've searched but haven't found anything - looking for ideas/plans/thoughts on something to protect the proximity limit sensors on the sides of the CRCRP Pro machine.

In case I'm not describing it correctly, it's this:
    https://goo.gl/images/eqKPtH - the part sticking in the upper left quadrant of this image.

Any help/ideas welcome - it's likely a matter of days (possibly hours) before I bash one while I'm getting this tuned up and running.

Thanks in advance!

If you are talking about hitting it with the machine axis, that's what the rubber bumpers are for, the machine should hit those and stop before it impacts the sensor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not the machine side, the outside. The OP is referring to the fact that these sensors with cable stick out several inches from the machine in all 4 corners. There is nothing protecting them from getting bumped by a person or workpiece. As I pointed out, this is the only real thing I can point to that I consider bad design by CNCRP.

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Downloads
    Uploads

You could switch to a right angle M12 cord..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eh. They come with right angle connector cords.

Quote Originally Posted by slodat View Post
    You could switch to a right angle M12 cord..

Downloads
    Uploads

@dgage is correct - am concerned about the outside of the sensors. They do come with a right angle cable but are sticking out exposed for me to bang into them.

So far I've considered just a block of wood slightly deeper than the protruding sensor body, CNC out a hole for the sensor body and possibly route a channel for the cable to run down inside. But I have to believe there is a more elegant solution out there.

Downloads
    Uploads

They should be mounted underneath, pointing up. Not sure how feasible that would be.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I too have been wondering about this....The switches are exposed and susceptible to damage. Could building a steel cage or redesigning the mount itself that incorporates a guard be the best solution.Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro-pswitchcage-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

That is not a right angle (90 degree) connector in the photo...

Downloads
    Uploads

@slodat - agreed, the cable in the image I found isn't 90*. It's not important though - the sensor sticks way out and is likely to get broken.

@clevet - that is exactly the type of guard that is needed. Maybe I can put something together using 1/2" ply or someone may have another solution...I pinged CNCRP to this thread, see of any of their other customers or they have suggestions/solutions.

Downloads
    Uploads

here's a couple showing mine with Right angle M12 cables. And yes, they stick out. Mostly I just avoid walking there. But you can see from the pictures that after I re-did my DC system, the drooping hose when at it's closest actually smacked up against it. I can probably shorten that or better yet suspend it in the middle, but it's been a concern.

But what about this idea? how about making some custom brackets to install the sensors on the carriage itself? You just have the bumper be the part that gets detected when it gets close. This way the M2 cables would be going through the cable management system, and partially protect by the carriage and also the track. I've already made a proximity bracket to hold my Z-axis one, so it's not hard, worse case is you have to drill some holes in the risers and carriage.

Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro-img_3250-jpg

Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro-img_3251-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have thought about moving them to the gantry pointing the other way and using the current bracket to trip the sensor. I might need to flip the bracket to make it work and I hope the cables are long enough.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The sensors sticking out always bother me. I attach them to the carriage and run the wiring with the motor wiring. Much neater.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro-2017-06-24-12-33-42-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I just powder coated some aluminum angle to protect mine.
    I think it was 2 x 3 inch stuff. Works great.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Before the linear upgrade I took an 8020 plate and modified it to guard the sensor and hold the E-stop.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro-jpg   Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro-b-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I came up with something using stock 8020 parts (I'm not much of a metal fabricator, but this works great)

(3) 80/20 Part #4375, 15 Series, 6-Hole Inside Corner Bracket - https://8020.net/shop/4375.html
    (4) M8 bolts 20mm
    (4) M8 flange nuts

(2) M8 bolts 30mm - used to replace the stock bolts holding the bumper plate on, these should be longer - double check as reading the manual they say they are 35mm, maybe I installed the wrong ones from day 1 but I needed longer ones.

Just remove the bumper plate, reinstall with a 4375 corner bracket and the longer M8 bolts (be careful - the machining on the bracket is very precise, don't misthread the bolts into the 80/20 extrusion!). Then assemble the remaining 2 angle brackets as shown using standard M8 20mm bolts and flange nuts (can probably use any nuts you have).

Easy to assemble, easy to remove if necessary, and definitely strong enough to protect the sensors.

Pictures:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro-img_5186-jpg   Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro-img_5187-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I know this is a little old of a thread but I thought I would quickly share what I just made.

I had some flat aluminum laying around I got from Homedepot. I cut a section off and between a bench vice and a 2lb hammer I got it bent. Not pretty, but works so far.
    For the next one I think I'll make it a little longer and put the hole in a better place.
    I'd love to make the bends cleaner and have it painted bright glowing orange or something so you can't miss it. Maybe even wire it up so if you bump into it you get a nice jolt...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro-img_3916-jpg   Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro-img_3981-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I need to figure something out for mine soon. I nearly sheared mine off yesterday. I'll give Papa's solution a try..

Downloads
    Uploads

I made mine from two pieces of 20x40mm extrusions.

Ideas for guards for proximity/limit sensors on CNCRP Pro-img_20171117_164033-small-jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast