Cutting aluminum - Share feeds and speeds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting aluminum - Share feeds and speeds

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cutting aluminum - Share feeds and speeds

Tried out a complex part in 6061 the other day. Wanted to share the results and feeds/speeds used and compare to what others have had success with.

I used an o-flute 1/8" bit and i have the PRO4896 and PAP Spindle from CNCRP.

16500 RPM
    25 IPM
    .05" DOC
    WD40 as lube

Judging from some of the videos from CNCRP and ToolsToday, the feed i used is pretty conservative and i did manage to break 2 endmills...

I think the breakage was caused more by chip interference than the speeds. I had a difficult time removing chips from the cuts and i could hear grinding when the endmill reached the outer walls of the hexagon pockets...

Does anyone else cut much aluminum? If so, what have you found to be the safest speeds?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cutting aluminum - Share feeds and speeds-img_20170602_095750-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cutting aluminum - Share feeds and speeds

Check out my sticky in the main section... have some videos and parameters there....

Downloads
    Uploads

I think your depth of cut is too deep.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I think your depth of cut is too deep.
    Not necessarily if using high speed toolpaths, where a larger axial DoC is used with a smaller radial DoC to engage more of the side flutes rather than bottom, which is less efficient at cutting...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Check out my sticky in the main section... have some videos and parameters there....
    wow, i need to back out of the CNCRP forum more often, completely missed all of that stuff. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you post a link to your sticky? Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by beltramidave View Post
    Can you post a link to your sticky? Thanks
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...s-uses-22.html

Downloads
    Uploads

I've never actually tried to mill aluminum with a 1/8" bit. Oh wait, I have. Yes, I broke the bit. Then I stuck with 1/4" minimum after that, although I have used 1/8" drill bits to peck drill holes with no problems.

1/8" bits are easy to break. Especially if they're carbide.

Downloads
    Uploads

I actually made sort of a similar part, with a 1/8" endmill cleaning up after a 1/4" endmill... with no problems or broken bits:

Cutting aluminum - Share feeds and speeds-20170524_202654-jpg
    Cutting aluminum - Share feeds and speeds-20170524_202730-jpg

The chipload may be a tad high, I try to stay around .0012-.0013" nowadays, you're around .0015". I'd keep the spindle around 12krpm and 14ipm per flute. If you climb cut, it will push the chips away from the cut. I try to stay no more than .5D DoC for picketing and .25D DoC for profiling. This is because when you profile, you have full (180deg.) engagement. Also, it helps to rough the part with a 1/4" "o" flute and leave .032" skin, then come back with the 1/8" "o" flute and do the finish pass, cutting the skin off and parting the work...

Downloads
    Uploads

Not necessarily if using high speed toolpaths, where a larger axial DoC is used with a smaller radial DoC to engage more of the side flutes rather than bottom, which is less efficient at cutting...
    I'm not sure I can do that with F360. I seem to only be able to control DOC and stepover (not the same as RDOC?). So given that, what wold be a good DOC for 1/8" o-flute? I need to cut my first aluminum part soon.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    I'm not sure I can do that with F360. I seem to only be able to control DOC and stepover (not the same as RDOC?). So given that, what wold be a good DOC for 1/8" o-flute? I need to cut my first aluminum part soon.....
    Axial depth of cut is the depth in Z. Radial depth of cut is the stepover... Just posted the other info below...

Downloads
    Uploads

Axial depth of cut is the depth in Z. Radial depth of cut is the stepover... Just posted the other info below...
    Right, but my concern is that if you control RDOC as stepover, you still have that first pass where it is cutting full width? Will .050" be too deep for that?

either way, I just order a 1/4" o-flute and I'll cut most of it with that, then do REST processing with the 1/8" bit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    Right, but my concern is that if you control RDOC as stepover, you still have that first pass where it is cutting full width? Will .050" be too deep for that?

either way, I just order a 1/4" o-flute and I'll cut most of it with that, then do REST processing with the 1/8" bit.
    You should be able to helix in which should avoid that condition...

Downloads
    Uploads

I cut Alu. with a 18/" 2F. at 20 IPM with a .03-.05 DOC. I am using an off the shelf Bosch router at 8K rpm.
    That is a chipload of 0.00125" My machine was not completely trammed at the time but I did get pretty good results.

I am guessing that if I could spin at 24K I could run at 60ipm or so. I am really no sure that the CNCRP PRO can run any faster or deeper in T6 Alum. I have not been able to without breaking bits.

Downloads
    Uploads

I actually made sort of a similar part, with a 1/8" endmill cleaning up after a 1/4" endmill... with no problems or broken bits:

Cutting aluminum - Share feeds and speeds-20170524_202654-jpg
    Cutting aluminum - Share feeds and speeds-20170524_202730-jpg

The chipload may be a tad high, I try to stay around .0012-.0013" nowadays, you're around .0015". I'd keep the spindle around 12krpm and 14ipm per flute. If you climb cut, it will push the chips away from the cut. I try to stay no more than .5D DoC for picketing and .25D DoC for profiling. This is because when you profile, you have full (180deg.) engagement. Also, it helps to rough the part with a 1/4" "o" flute and leave .032" skin, then come back with the 1/8" "o" flute and do the finish pass, cutting the skin off and parting the work...
    I'd keep the spindle around 12krpm and 14ipm per flute.
    Where / how did you arrive at that rule of thumb..?

I start at the chip load and go from there. Maybe do a few test cuts to see the chip size and adjust feed and rpms.
    typically I cut Alum at 8K so that number along with the number of flutes are fixed. - I could be way wrong but that is how I do it.

Downloads
    Uploads

To the OP. I also think you are cutting to deep for the CNCRPRO. Try 0.04 - 0.03 you can then probably try to move a little faster too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FoxCNC1 View Post
    Where / how did you arrive at that rule of thumb..?

I start at the chip load and go from there. Maybe do a few test cuts to see the chip size and adjust feed and rpms.
    typically I cut Alum at 8K so that number along with the number of flutes are fixed. - I could be way wrong but that is how I do it.
    It's derived from the chipload I use. Divide 14 by 12000 and it's ablout .0012". So yes, the more flutes, the faster you can go.

With a 1/8" 2-flute aluminum cutting endmill, that's 28ipm. And it scales too, so with a 2-flute 1/16" endmill I run at 14ipm and .032" DoC pocketing, .016" profiling. For 1/4, 2-flute, approximately 56ipm, at .125" DoC pocketing and .063" profiling.

There is a limit as to how fast you can go, because of the mfr. SFM ratings....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FoxCNC1 View Post
    To the OP. I also think you are cutting to deep for the CNCRPRO. Try 0.04 - 0.03 you can then probably try to move a little faster too.
    With the high speed, constant engagement toolpaths, you want the deepest you can go, even if that means reducing the stepover. Was doing it on my wood-framed machine almost 6-7 years ago.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Christian Knull has some great videos focused on cutting aluminum. He has great results using trochoidal machining:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ColletandBit View Post
    Christian Knull has some great videos focused on cutting aluminum. He has great results using trochoidal machining:

Ah, ok, so Fusion360's answer to this is their "adaptive" CAM ops. So I guess that's where you do the deeper (full depth?) thing with smaller stepovers like Louie was saying.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/compu...g/td-p/5860958

But playing with it, I can't get the helix entry to work (the setting is there, but it's still plunging).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast