One more new Pro4824 Build

Thread: One more new Pro4824 Build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default One more new Pro4824 Build

I picked up my new machine about 6 weeks ago. It took about 2 weeks to get completely assembled to the point I was ready to actually do something. It could be done a lot quicker but I was somewhat limited on how much time I could put into it. I'm not going to go into much of the build detail or post a lot of pictures of the progress. That's already been done very well and I don't have much to add in that department.. What I can do is post a few observations.

1. I would highly recommend these machines to anyone. All of the parts are top of the line. Instructions are very complete. Support is phenomenal. If you call with a problem and nobody answers, don’t get excited, you will probably get a return call in about 15 minutes.
    2. I was a little hesitant going into this that a bolt together aluminum machine would not be stiff enough. Not so.
    3. If, during the build you think that some parts are missing, look again before you call. They may not be in the bag you are looking in but they are more than likely there someplace.
    4. Before you bolt the frame together, think about where you may want mounting points and put some T nuts in the in the slots. You can always add the roll in nuts but that gets a little pricy compared to putting in some regular ones.
    5. I’m not going to say everything was absolutely perfect but CNCRP handles things quickly and well. The biggest problem I had was that the gussets were not 90 degrees. They were off enough to pull the horizontal extrusions into a little curve but there are new ones coming so I’m good with that.

A few of the things that I did during my build.

1. I added two extra of the long (48”) extrusions. Since I was a little concerned about stiffness, I figured this wouldn’t hurt plus I thought the additional mounting point would be nice. I probably did not need the because the machine is already pretty stiff and the way I’m mounting things the Rockler T-track gives me all the mounting I need.
    2. I’m going to start off by not using a surface board. Instead I’m just using the T-Track mounting with ¼” ply blocks under my piece. With this, the chips will just fall to the floor. I’ve found that even with dust shoes or whatever, I still have to vacuum everything up so why not just vacuum it and not mess with the dust collection. That’s OK for making big chips but I will have to use better dust collection if I start cutting MDF or something else really dusty.
    3. I saw someplace on this forum where someone found a use for the mounting jigs. I’ve posed a pic of what I did with one. Kind of nice to be able to run a dial gauge around the surface of my board. I was surprised when I got only .006” of deflection over the surface of a 24”x36” piece of wood. Don’t forget that this was wood.
    4. Posted a few pics of my first project on this machine. Who can say no to a 4 year old Grand Daughters.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One more new Pro4824 Build-1-jpg   One more new Pro4824 Build-2-jpg   One more new Pro4824 Build-3-jpg   One more new Pro4824 Build-4-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: One more new Pro4824 Build

I added 1 additional cross member on my Pro4824. I felt that was enough using a 3/4" spoilboard.

That's an interesting concept using the Rockler T-track rather than a spoilboard. It would seem very versatile however my concern would be deflection between the tracks. Having said that, maybe on most projects it would not cause problems?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for sharing . Someday I was considering buying the 4x4 pro model , unless I could create enough room for a 4x8 .
    Could you explain further to a noob what these guzzets are ? I'm hoping the extrusion was cut at a perfect 90 degrees?
    I'm in Canada , so having to send faulty parts back and forth is going to be a pita .

I've heard nothing but good things about this company though . I was going to drive there as I'm approx an 8 hour from them , but I was told I would have to pay an additional 8 percent tax yet again . So it's back to shipping

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gigawatt,
    Yea, I have the same concerns. The only thing I've cut so far on this machine are the 3/8" thick panels in the doll house. Holding them at the corners seemed to work well. The one thing you do get is a nice sound board on thin pieces only held at the corners. There is a little amplification of sound like a speaker diaphragm. I figure that for the things that may need a heavier spoil board, I can clamp the spoil board down with the piece I'm cutting. We'll see how this all works out.

MajorT,
    If you look at the pictures of the machine, you will see the black corner braces on the legs. Those are the gussets. I almost didn't mention it but I thought in all fairness that I did have to say something about the only real problem that I had. The easy temporary fix is to just shim the flat plates at the bolt holes till the good ones get here.

If the 8% you are thinking about is the Washington sales tax, you can probably get around that by filling out the exemption form that says that you are taking the product out of state. Talk to CNCRP about that. They can help you out.

B

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the info . I was going to go with a water cooled spindle and build the electronics myself and go with Nema34's .
    I was wondering if you went with there plug and play system ?

I also wanted to build the base for the cnc out of wood , so the gussets shouldn't be an issue if I'm understanding you correctly

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night