Need Help! SmoothStepper Warning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SmoothStepper Warning

Downloads
    Uploads

Default SmoothStepper Warning

Kept getting this warning today. try'd a few things but no success,
    Warning displays a few mins into toolpath after each restart.Changed the toolpath, restarted PC and a few other things.
    I have seen this before but never persisted before, always went fine after a restart previously.
    Any ideas on a fix, or a the possible issue.

Mark

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SmoothStepper Warning-cnc-screen-shot-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SmoothStepper Warning

I feel your pain! I have seen that more times that I can count. I have done everything I can find to address the issue. I deleted McAfee, cleaned everything off the drive and out of memory, etc. etc. added memory, etc... And I still get it once in a while. Usually, it is a large program. It is very frustrating and I don't understand why they can't or won't fix this. I hold my breath every time I run a program. Seems like a simple issue that is known and understood...why can't they fix it?

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

My guess would be interference, possibly from a VFD?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah. It's definitely interference from the vfd. Once I got some shielded cable and properly grounded it my issues left.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    My guess would be interference, possibly from a VFD?

Downloads
    Uploads

No here. I don't use one. Anything else?

My setup is a 24x48 Standard, Bosch 1617, bought the electronics package (in the box), limit switches, etc. I bought a nice strip that is supposed to filter noise out of the AC. I am using a laptop - nothing special. I have made it as bare bones as possible. Not sure if anything else in my shop could cause an issue? Nothing exciting - all 110 except for the tablesaw. Typically, the CNC is the only thing running when I get the error. Really stinks when you are almost done!

thanks,

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Too much stuff running on the computer so it does not have enough CPU time left to feed the SmoothStepper with data? An aggressive antivirus program maybe?

Downloads
    Uploads

I turn off the antivirus (using Windows Defender because it is less overhead) and i turn off wireless. There is not much of anything running when I run the machine. Oh, it is W10, btw.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you using a flash drive? This warning pops up for me any time I try to do anything that requires a dialog box for finding a file while the machine is in motion, like opening a new toolpath file before the last one is finished.

Some people have also suggested changing the look ahead setting for the smooth stepper as a fix, but I've heard mixed results.

Having a vacuum dust collection system attached to your machine can also introduce weird and random errors if the hoses and the machine aren't grounded.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, fortyeight,

We do hear reports of these messages on occasion. They are caused by the ESS running out of data, and not being able to complete a move. Typically this problem can be addressed by some software changes, but it is hard for me to tell what changes need to be made without seeing your XML file or knowing about your PC.

Here is the article on our website that walks you through the steps we normally take to address this problem.

Andy
    Warp9 Tech Design

Downloads
    Uploads

I had this problem as well. I have an older (2005 windows 7) pc, and only had 2 gigs in it. I was able to find 2 - 2gig sticks (DDR-2) RAM, and it seems to have solved the problem. I cannot find anything higher, although supposedly they did sell it. So. I would start with how much RAM you have......

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I upgraded mine to 8 via Crucial memory. I didn't see the message for a while, but it happened again last weekend. Bummer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you follow CNCRP's software setup, which includes modifying Windows services to ensure better performance of Mach 3 (CNC operations)? CNC Software Setup Guide | CNCRouterParts

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. Yes, I went through it a couple of times to make sure.

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

If the ESS is running out of data, that is because Windows is off doing other things for too long. That is in the nature of Windows.
    You will need to remove LOTs more services from your PC, and to make sure they STAY removed. Windows may try to restart them.
    NO Internet connection AT ALL. I really, really mean that.

The better alternative is to ditch W10 and install W7 (with NO internet and most services still turned off).
    Program transfer by sneakernet (also known as a USB stick).

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

And I run Windows 10 and don't even disable my Wifi though I do have a script I can run in an instant to do it. I disabled all sorts of services, especially updates, and don't have any problems. Then again, I'm running an i5, 8GB, and an SSD. So going back to the stone ages of Windows 7 isn't required even though it works for you.

Can you post more detailed specs of your computer? Can you send me a PM with a save of your Windows Diagnostics (windiag.exe) and I'll compare to mine to see if I notice anything that stands out. Also, can you monitor the performance (right-click on task bar) and monitor memory and CPU usage while you are running a job?

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Hello,

I had run into the "out of data" issue shortly after switching to the Ethernet Smooth Stepper using my Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7. Since the laptop is just used to run the mill, I don't have any anti-virus software running. To clear up the problem I performed the following steps.

(1) Turn off the LapTop's WIFI whenever running Mach3.
    (2) From the Windows <Start> button ran "MSCONFIG", in the "Services" tab used the check box to "Hide all Microsoft Services", and pretty much disabled all other services.
    (3) In the Mach3 "General Config" section set the "Controller Frequency" to 500 Hz to buffer up to 2 seconds of data.

Performing the steps 1 through 3 seemed to clear up the problem for me. Hope this helps. Cheers, Ralph

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you guys running older machines? I wonder if computer speed isn't involved in some way. I have a faster computer (recent i5), 8 GB of RAM, and a super fast though small SSD drive and I haven't run into any issues. The talk about Windows 7 makes me think some of you may be running some older hardware. While a CNC shouldn't need much power, I wonder if that indeed is contributing to some of the problems. Just a thought.

By the way, I worked as a consultant at Microsoft for over 10 years as a Microsoft Project Server expert. One of the tasks I did on many occasions was address performance issues on servers. I could help setup performance monitoring to see how the computer is running and if we have that running when a problem occurs, I might be able to identify an issue. However, going back to my previous paragraph, running performance monitoring will impact performance of the machine. Then again, if we're able to fairly readily repeat the problem while monitoring performance, then it very well could validate a performance issue with the computer by simply not having enough computing power. Send me a PM if a few of you want some help.

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not the OP, but I really appreciate all of the input here. I am going to try the MSconfig thing. Wasn't aware of that.

Now that I'm 50+, "old" is relative! Ha! My laptop is an i5 I think? I upgraded it to 8G recently. I've got it whittled down to about nothing running. Still whittling though as I learn of new things to look at.

Thanks again,

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Check the size of the buffer you are using with the ESS, increase it slightly and see if the starving disappears.
    Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Read what RalphG wrote in #16.
    Do ALL of it.

Cheers
    Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast