Spindle upgrade ? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spindle upgrade ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle upgrade ?

The UgraCNC spindles have four connectors, one ground and three for the three phase power. UgraCNC cells a suitable cable on their website. I bought mine from McMaster. 16 gauge four wire shielded cable. It works fine. You definately need a well shielded cable suitable for movement in a CNC system.

Has Eric said above, though, it might be better for you to just go ahead a buy the CNCRP's plug and play spindle. Although my water cooled spindle is working fine, that's what I'd do if I had to do it again. Also, there is no savings if you damage yourself or your equipment. That's much less likely to happen with a plug and play system.

Downloads
    Uploads

CNCRP uses their standard motor cable, which is 18 gauge shielded 4-conductor wires with XLR connectors.

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your concerns guys, much appreciated. I looked over the CNCRP page and didn't see where it said the M23 cable specs, hence my question here. So it took a bit more than 30 seconds of lurking around the CNCRP site to not find the answer

Thanks for the UGRA reminder. So 16/4 Belden or AlphaWire it is.

Don thanks for the info on the cable from McMasterCarr. BTW. If I buy the Spindle/VFD Plug-n-play kit, I will still have to make modifications. My controller is DIY.

I'll go electrocute myself now...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle upgrade ?-20170211_123930_zpscpv087ib-jpg  
    Last edited by ifeliciano; 02-22-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice control box!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. The ESS patch cable routing is temporary. I was just checking the length of the cable and routing options.

Anyhow. I bit-the-bullet and ordered the 2.2kW 3hp Spindle from UGRA.
    How long did it take for them to ship and did it ship with a manual/schematic/wiring diagram?

Downloads
    Uploads

I ordered two spindles and two Delta VFD's from UGRA in the last several years. Both times, I received what I ordered in less than a week. Both spindles came with a Chinese language wiring diagram that was easy to figure out by looking at the pictures. You also get a plug that you need to wire that attaches to the spindle. The first VFD that I received came pre-programmed. The second was not pre-programmed but came with a clear english language instruction sheet. If you ordered their water cooled spindle, then you also need to get a pump. I chose to go with a closed circuit and bought a small pump and a radiator from UGRA. All three items had different size tubing connections but I was able to get the tubing and required adapters from McMaster-Carr. Here's a link to what I did: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindl...ml#post1982812

Last edited by DonFrambach; 02-23-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: bought tubing from McMaster not UGRA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Don. I ordered air cooled. I have two gaming PC that have custom water cooling loops, and based on my experiences, I didn't want a water cooled spindle.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ifeliciano View Post
    . . .[snip]. . .

I'll go electrocute myself now...
    Video or it didn't happen . . .

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by klhoard View Post
    Video or it didn't happen . . .
    I'll need ericclinedinst to come hold the video camera.

Last edited by ifeliciano; 02-23-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: being a smarta$$

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll need ericclinedinst to come hold the video camera.
    Sorry. I wasn't trying to be offensive. You never know on here what a person's skill level is.

Some of the questions you were asking about trying to recreate the Plug n Play system seemed pretty basic.

Like "how many conductors are going from the spindle to the control box"

If you take a couple seconds and look at the data sheet or the picture on the CNCRP site you'll clearly find the info. Every question you asked has the answer on either UGRACNC.COM or CNCROUTERPARTS.COM

Or the size of the box, what's in the box, etc etc.

Literally everything you asked is listed on one of the two sites. Except the shielding bit. But if you do any reading (including the LS manual) they will say that you need shielded cable.

Again. If reading to find this basic info out is difficult, wait until you have to start configuring said vfd. Hooking up the thermistor from the spindle into the relay. Configuring the settings for that. Not to mention the 30 or so other parameters that have to be changed to get the LS VFD to work without blowing up your spindle.

Again. Good luck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/images/Spindle_VFD_4456c.jpg

There's a picture of the setup directly from their site. See how many of your original questions you can answer from just looking at this picture.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ericclinedinst View Post
    http://www.cncrouterparts.com/images/Spindle_VFD_4456c.jpg

There's a picture of the setup directly from their site. See how many of your original questions you can answer from just looking at this picture.
    None. The lettering on the cable it too blurry, so I can't read it. Also that pic right there is the PNP system for using with the latest controller (CRP800 I believe), not with a DIY controller like mine, which is more like the older CRP300 using a PMDX-126 BOB and PMDX-107 Spindle controller. I do appreciate your help though.

I still need someone to hold the video camera...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is the VFD enclosure size? What is inside the enclosure? (VFD, Breaker, Fan, AC Disconnect)
    So. From looking at the picture I just posted you can't answer any of these questions.

From looking at the end of both connectors you can't tell how many pins they have.

My point is read and be observant. Lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry. I wasn't trying to be offensive. You never know on here what a person's skill level is.
    None taken

Some of the questions you were asking about trying to recreate the Plug n Play system seemed pretty basic.

Like "how many conductors are going from the spindle to the control box"
    Pictures aside, I didnt find the info on the cncrp site.

If you take a couple seconds and look at the data sheet or the picture on the CNCRP site you'll clearly find the info. Every question you asked has the answer on either UGRACNC.COM or CNCROUTERPARTS.COM
    No. I didn't read they use a Belden 29500 or AlphaWire or Carol, etc...

Or the size of the box, what's in the box, etc etc.
    I admitted to missing this info in a previous post

Literally everything you asked is listed on one of the two sites. Except the shielding bit. But if you do any reading (including the LS manual) they will say that you need shielded cable.
    12AWG shielded cable. Page 2-8 Section 2.4 Specifications for power terminal block wiring . Not 18 AWG like UGRA sells. Hence my question here.

Again. If reading to find this basic info out is difficult, wait until you have to start configuring said vfd. Hooking up the thermistor from the spindle into the relay. Configuring the settings for that. Not to mention the 30 or so other parameters that have to be changed to get the LS VFD to work without blowing up your spindle.
    No, not difficult, but tiresome. After reading tons of documents all day at work, once I come home, i just like to ask basic questions here and then go help coaching my son and the HS Pole Vault team.
    No concerns on the VFD configuring. Im sure you will be really helpful

Again. Good luck.
    Again. I need a camera tripod.

Downloads
    Uploads

My point is read and be observant. Lol
    You should take your own advise. I admitted to have not read the information in the description page. (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-ro...ml#post2005106)

From everything I've seen, heard and read, the VFD is an LSi, which I sourced for a very good price. I work in IT and have plenty of shielded cables (3m, 5m, 10m) that can be modified for CNC Router use.
    Thanks for the info. I've been to that page many times and never even to bother looking at the description. The pretty pictures kept me from reading.

Downloads
    Uploads

I purchased this from Ebay, two years ago. Still running strong however my machine only gets a couple hours of use a week at most.

2.2KW WATER COOLED SPINDLE MOTOR ER20 & VFD INVERTER DRIVE 80MM DIAMETER CNC | eBay

Shipped from LA and was in hand in just a few days. There were no instructions but was about to find some for the VFD after going through the forums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12