Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Benchtop Pro 2x3

Finished the front of the enclosure.

Benchtop Pro 2x3-170518-1-jpg Benchtop Pro 2x3-170518-2-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I was thinking of an enclosure for my own build. Not to contain dust, but something that would significantly reduce noise. It sounds like that is also your goal. I don't want to drive the people I live with nuts when I use my machine.

I was thinking more along the lines of a tent made of noise absorbing material than a structure with wooden walls.

I'm not sure if acoustic foam and similar products is designed to reduce noise or simply enhance the quality of audio in a home theater for example.

Are you going to line that box you're building with anything?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    I'm not sure if acoustic foam and similar products is designed to reduce noise or simply enhance the quality of audio in a home theater for example.
    It depends on the frequency of the noise(s) as well as the density of the material. Here are some links to coefficients for popular insulation for absorbing audio frequencies. But if you're talking about the little squares with the triangles or pyramids, some of those might absorb but they're also designed to reflect some frequencies but in pseudo-random ways to cut down on echoing and summation of the audio signal, at least back to the listener's ears at the listening position. When I get a chance, I'll measure the sound my machine makes to determine the frequencies involved.

https://www.atsacoustics.com/page--S...erial--ac.html
    http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Downloads
    Uploads

I would not get too complicated with trying to eliminate the noise. You can dampen it easy enough though. One issue that arises with sound proofing is that you are also heat proofing. This means heat gets trapped inside. Not an issue with your oversized enclosure though.
    Then it basically works like links in a chain. The weakest link will allow the most sound through. That will be the glass you have now. I would suggest just using foam panels to insulate with. Cheap and easy to work with. Leave a little gap between it and the exterior panel and the sound waves will dissipate there too and not reverberate against the walls.
    You can certainly make it quieter, but without overdoing the cash thrown at it, it will still be a high frequency tool and cutting sound. Don't forget about the bottom.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    It depends on the frequency of the noise(s) as well as the density of the material. Here are some links to coefficients for popular insulation for absorbing audio frequencies. But if you're talking about the little squares with the triangles or pyramids, some of those might absorb but they're also designed to reflect some frequencies but in pseudo-random ways to cut down on echoing and summation of the audio signal, at least back to the listener's ears at the listening position. When I get a chance, I'll measure the sound my machine makes to determine the frequencies involved.

https://www.atsacoustics.com/page--S...erial--ac.html
    http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
    Good info there, thanks!

Interesting that the sound absorption value is increased when it is suspended in air as opposed to being on a wall.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dead air or air gap is a good insulator of both sound and heat.
    A lot of other factors go into it, but this is basically true. A real engineer would have to test and provide result for possible applications.
    I ain't that guy.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

In home theaters, we often put a 4" treatment on the wall with 2" of OC703 or similar towards the front with a 2" air gap to the wall. Sound goes through and is absorbed some and then hits the wall and comes back through for more absorption. But sound insulation is still insulation as was mentioned, which means heat insulation though you could use a "hush box", which is an insulated duct with some 90 degree bends to attenuate the sound while still allowing some air movement with fans. This is commonly used for high heat (and noise) devices like projectors.

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks cool so far!

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    I was thinking of an enclosure for my own build. Not to contain dust, but something that would significantly reduce noise. It sounds like that is also your goal. I don't want to drive the people I live with nuts when I use my machine.

I was thinking more along the lines of a tent made of noise absorbing material than a structure with wooden walls.

Are you going to line that box you're building with anything?
    I had a cabinet shop a long time ago and occasionally we'd get a job such as a sound room or theater. The best way from what I've seen is to do everything possible to "decouple" the i terior form exterior. You can cover the interior wall, but like water sound will find the gaps, and in typical construction the vibrations will travel from inside sheet rock through the studs or joists or plates to the other side. Thus we'd build an interior wall with separate studs, and when possible, seat the interior ceiling joists on the top plateof the interior walls. It's not as easy to do on the floor so we'd "float" a subfloor over a layer of homasote or stone wool. Works great under the interior sheetrock as well. Even commercial ceiling tile may work, but if you sandwich it between inner and outer layer you don't want fasteners goi g through, as even they create a pathway for vibrations.

Downloads
    Uploads

While room within a roo. Is the holy grail most people adding theaters to an existing home aren't willing to lose that much space. Another common building technique is staggered studs with insulation snaked between them so the drywall on each side isn't directly coupled through the wall. But this requires quite a bit of building and some space taken. For theaters, what I see more common is multiple layers of drywall (2 or 3) on ceilings and walls with Green Glue between them. All edges are caulked. This makes a very dense wall that blocks all but the lowest bass.

David Gage
    Deep Sea Sound

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    While room within a roo. Is the holy grail most people adding theaters to an existing home aren't willing to lose that much space. Another common building technique is staggered studs with insulation snaked between them so the drywall on each side isn't directly coupled through the wall. But this requires quite a bit of building and some space taken. For theaters, what I see more common is multiple layers of drywall (2 or 3) on ceilings and walls with Green Glue between them. All edges are caulked. This makes a very dense wall that blocks all but the lowest bass.
    I'd just tell my kids to suck it up - Dad's watching a movie.

Downloads
    Uploads

A few years ago, I made an enclosure for my DIY 15" x 15" router to contain dust and sound when my shop was in an attached garage. It was made out of 2x4s and 3/4" mdf. The door was sealed with foam tape, the air inlet and outlet were baffled, the hose to the Fein shop vac was also baffled. I used a variety of spindles including a Wofgang 12 volt spindle, a Taig belt driven spindle, a Kress spindle, and (currently) a 0.4kW air cooled Chinese VFD driven spindle. This system passed the wife test because she could not hear it running when she was in the hourse if I turned the Fein shop vac down to its lowest setting (which was plenty of suction when I was making detailed 3D carvings). Between the Fein vacuum which I usually use and a 6" 120 volt exhaust fan pulling air through a baffle (which I always use), I have no heat problems.

Here's a link to a Youtube video showing the router running with the Wofgang spindle: You can barely hear the cutter when the door is shut. Sadly, I made the video with the Fein vacuum at full power.

Here's a link to the build thread for this router: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ter-build.html

Last edited by DonFrambach; 06-11-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The new enclosure is coming along. My new shop is located in an outbuilding so the demands for sound attenuation are not as great as for my smaller router when it was in my attached garage shop. However, the router is much larger so I need access to all sides so the basic design I used for my small router won't work.

Here's what I've made so far:

I made vertically hinged rather than horizontally hinged doors. Here's the router with all four doors open:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170611-5-jpg

Here's the router with the doors closed:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170611-2-jpg Benchtop Pro 2x3-170611-3-jpg

The doors fold and are made out of 3/4" pine and 6mm plywood because the stays would only support very limited door weight. Hopefully these much thinner doors will still substantially block sound transmission. It's not well shown but the lower portion of the case where the doors latch is held in place with bolts so is fairly easily removable if I need to get better access to the router.

I put lights inside the enclosure and allowed for dust collection:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170611-1-jpg

A 1.5 hp dust collector will extract air from within the enclosure. There are so many leaks that I think a baffled inlet will not be necessary. But I can put one in at the top very easily if required.
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170611-4-jpg

Next week, I'll apply 3/4" mdf sheets to cover the top portion and top of the enclosure. Hopefully it's going to work!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

+10 Bonus Points for putting one of these on your enclosure doors . . .

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally finished the enclosure. Here are a couple of photos:

closed:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170618-1-jpg

open: (I included a picture of all 5'9" of me for scale)
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170618-2-jpg

The enclosure works! There is significant sound attenuation when the enclosure is closed. Here is a photo of my iphone sitting on a table about 10 feet from the router running a sound level app indicating about 57.6 decibels with the spindle running at full speed with the enclosure doors closed:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170618-4-jpg

Here is a photo of my iphone (that was not touched) indicating 66.7 decibels after I opened the door facing the table:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170618-3-jpg

Still have to run an actual project. The first thing I'll check is to make sure that there is enough air flow through all the leaks to allow adequate dust collection with my 1.5 HP dust collector. I will add a baffled air intake at the top of the machine if the air flow is inadequate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just finished a quick sign. The enclosure passed the wife test; she could barely hear it when we sat out on the back patio this afternoon. I'm sure the router won't bother my neighbors now. Also, the enclosure did depressurize some but there was plenty of air flow through the dust collector so I don't think I'll put in a baffled air inlet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Made some more progress with the router enclosure but first though I'd share two projects that I just made with the router.

This first is a fairly large sign sitting on the router bed. A 12" ruler is at the bottom for scale
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-1-jpg

I used a 1/8" bit for the finishing path so the detail is pretty good:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-2-jpg

I also made a smaller plaque for my wife who recently lost her mother:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-3-jpg

Both of these designs are not original and came for the designandmake.com website.

The large plaque took a while to cut. The roughing was done with a 1/4" bit and the finish with a 1/8" bit one week later. The roughing took the better part of a day and the finish cut took more than 24 hours so I got to sleep in the shop!

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the last of the wiring cleaned up. There used to be a 5 amp 12 volt power supply on this shelf which has been replaced by a 2.5 amp 12 volt power supply that I mounted on the gantry. There was also a power supply for the portable computer on the shelf that has been moved to the back wall. Two wires, a power supply cable to the computer and a cat 5 data cable, have been moved to the top of this space and the cat 5 cable is now routed with the rest of the cables behind the back wall to the CNCRouterParts control box.
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-4-jpg

The cat 5 data cable supplied by CNCRouterParts has been replaced with a right angle cable to relieve the strain that was placed on the cable connection to the computer:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-5-jpg

A 120 volt outlet was placed on the back of the gantry to deliver power to the small 12 volt power supply seen just above it on the shelf.
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-6-jpg

a proper cooling fan mount was installed to replace the crummy one I had previously fashioned from a piece of angle iron.
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-7-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Added a shelf to the back of the enclosure:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-8-jpg

Added two 18" drawers to the back of the enclosure:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-9-jpg

Also added two 24" drawers to the front:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-10-jpg

Will add more drawers soon. My local WoodCraft store had only a limited supply of drawer slides so I ordered more to be delivered next week.

Downloads
    Uploads

This may be unnecessary, but I added a warning light to flash when the spindle is turned on. I have a water cooled spindle that is surprisingly quiet. I can clearly hear it in a quiet shop but not when another machine, or even a large fan, is running. The Kent dust shroud covers the bit so there is no visible cue that the spindle is running either. I mounted the xenon flashing warning light above the front door of the enclosure so that I wouldn't look directly at it but the flash is clearly visible when the doors are closed and even more so when any one is opened. I got the warning light from Automation direct for about $80 which is a heck of a lot less that it would cost if I were to stupidly contact a spinning bit.
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-11-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally, I changed the way that I controlled my 1.5 hp dust collector.

Initially, I ran power from the wall to the router control box and then used the second relay in the CNCRouterParts control box to switch the power on and off which I sent back to the dust collector in another wire. It took at least 40 feet of wire to do this. Most of the wire was 12 gauge but a short portion was 14 gauge and I'm not sure what size wire is used in the control box. I also don't know the amperage rating of the relay in the control box. I was concerned that there might be a power loss to the dust collector and that I might cause the relay contacts in the control box to fail prematurely.

Now I use the same wires to send a 100 mAmp120volt signal to a very large relay in a box that I mounted next to the dust collector. By doing this, I have shortened the power wire to less than 10 feet of 12 gauge wire. I was also able to add a separate switch to control the dust collector independent of the CNCRouterParts control box. I think that this may prove to be very convenient.

here's the 40 amp relay that I installed:
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-13-jpg

Here's the box with the switch. The right orange wire carries the 100 mAmp control signal. The middle wire carries power to the box and the left wire carries power to the dust collector
    Benchtop Pro 2x3-170707-12-jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast