CRP4896 Upgrade - Laser sight attachment

Thread: CRP4896 Upgrade - Laser sight attachment

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CRP4896 Upgrade - Laser sight attachment

Greetings folks - I managed to snag one of the first new pro kits from Cory and the CNCRouterParts guys when they first came out with the new kit. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to posting a build (built?) log, but for now I thought I'd share my latest addition - a laser sight dust shoe attachment built from a drill press laser sight kit I bought from Amazon and hacked apart, and a modified version of the dust shoe that the CNCRP guys have linked on their website.

I mounted the lasers so that they were outside the dust boot, that way they won't get damaged by flying chips while I'm cutting (hopefully...)

The only tricky part about machining was making a fixture plate out of MDF so I could do the cutouts on the second side.

Has anyone seen or tried anything like this? Any thoughts or suggestions? I did everything in Fusion, I can share it with anyone who is interested.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CRP4896 Upgrade - Laser sight attachment-img_0741-jpg   CRP4896 Upgrade - Laser sight attachment-img_0743-jpg   CRP4896 Upgrade - Laser sight attachment-img_0744-jpg   CRP4896 Upgrade - Laser sight attachment-img_0745-jpg  

CRP4896 Upgrade - Laser sight attachment-img_0746-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CRP4896 Upgrade - Laser sight attachment

Neet!

I have thought several times of doing this. Where did you get the lasers?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought the Peachtree Woodworking PW929 drill press laser guide from Amazon for $40 then chopped the lasers out of it.it was pretty straightforward, and a few careful cuts with the bandsaw let me get all of the electronics (lasers, battery, switch) out without having to cut any wiring.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seattlecubelab View Post
    Greetings folks - I managed to snag one of the first new pro kits from Cory and the CNCRouterParts guys when they first came out with the new kit. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to posting a build (built?) log, but for now I thought I'd share my latest addition - a laser sight dust shoe attachment built from a drill press laser sight kit I bought from Amazon and hacked apart, and a modified version of the dust shoe that the CNCRP guys have linked on their website.

I mounted the lasers so that they were outside the dust boot, that way they won't get damaged by flying chips while I'm cutting (hopefully...)

The only tricky part about machining was making a fixture plate out of MDF so I could do the cutouts on the second side.

Has anyone seen or tried anything like this? Any thoughts or suggestions? I did everything in Fusion, I can share it with anyone who is interested.

Cheers,
    Daniel
    Can you give us some details on how that colar works around the router? Is it a press fit? How does that work? special kind of plastic?

Also, how do you calibrate the lasers? Do you set Z at a specific height?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The fit to the router is a close slip fit, then secured with a 4" hose clamp. You can see the slots that are cut into that flange to allow them to apply pressure to the router body. No special kind of plastic required - the fit is so close, the tabs do not need to move much at all. I used acrylic because I thought it would be cool to be able to watch the bit, but it was a pain to machine (noisy & brittle), and I'm not sure I feel like polishing the tooling marks out. The CNCrouterparts guys have a great tutorial on making the original design here: Parametric Dust Shoe | CNCRouterParts. Mine is basically the same, with the added wings for the lasers.

I recommend using HDPE or ABS as they did, it's easier to machine and I suspect will be more durable than the acrylic.

The lasers each put out a stripe, rather than a dot, so the point where they intersect will always be directly beneath the center of the bit regardless of the z height. You can see in the first picture how I have sighted them along the centerline of a long router bit. The laser kit comes with instructions on how to calibrate, it only takes about 5 minutes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

cool set up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's pretty cool how the line lasers are placed along the x and y axis. Most setups I've seen are offset from the axis, and require a specific height from the piece being cut to center the bit. It's interesting how the simple things can end up being the smartest things we do. I haven't cut anything large enough to require using an entire sheet, but if I need to, I'll definitely come back to this thread and adopt hot you did things.

Super neat!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

Nice job. How neat are the laser lines? Are they thick and blurry or thin and precise?

Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any issues with it staying in adjustment?