New Machine Build Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade

I bought my Pro 4824 kit on 03/12/16. Due to family health problems and a basement remodel I had started, I didn't have time to start the build. After seeing the advantages to the new upgrades, I ordered X & Y axis upgrades on 8/23/16. I had previously bought several pieces of 30-6060 from 8020 for another build. Since I did not start the build, I decided to use the 30-6060 for base legs on my Pro. I had to ordered brackets from 8020 and do mods on them to attach the Series 30 legs to the Series 40 base.

Finally today (10/9/16) I found time to start my build. Pics attached.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-build-1-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-build-2-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-build-3-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-build-4-jpg  

Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-build-5-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-build-6-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade

Keep the pics and updates coming. Did you buy the ready to run electronics? What size motors?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I cut to length and installed the 3 remaining legs today. Hopefully will have time to post another pic tomorrow.

I bought the 4-Axis Digital Plug and Play NEMA 23 System. This is just a hobby machine for me so I believe that package will handle what I want to accomplish.
    I'm retired and have plenty of time to experiment, so I likely won't be pushing to it's limits.

Downloads
    Uploads

I made some more progress today. Got all four legs cut to length, taped for the leveling feet and attached to the base. I installed 2 of the leg cross braces and ran out of 30 series bolts & t nuts. Looks like another order to 8020 before I can install the remaining 2 cross braces.

The legs, feet, levelers, cross bracing & hardware will end up costing about the same amount as a leg kit from CRP however when finished it will likely be more stout. As I mentioned in the original post I already had the 30-6060 on hand.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-tap-legs-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-leg-feet-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-legs-installed-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That 8020 nuts and bolts can get expensive. I was able to use carriage bolts, I think it was 5/16". The head would slide in the slot and the shoulder would prevent it from spinning.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bd007 View Post
    That 8020 nuts and bolts can get expensive. I was able to use carriage bolts, I think it was 5/16". The head would slide in the slot and the shoulder would prevent it from spinning.
    That's a great suggestion however it won't work in my application. I need to install 4 corner brackets and there is not enough clearance in the inside corner of each bracket for 4 of the 8 bolts. I will keep this in mind for other items I may need to add.

Nice frame. To save 10% next you buy 8020 framing materials, visit www.extrusion.shop.fandl8020.com and use discount code cnc10off. Keep the pictures coming. We support CNC builders all over the US....

Downloads
    Uploads

After a week delay waiting for 80/20 parts, I finally got back to work this morning. I installed the lower base cross supports and cut caster corner supports from 3/8" X 4" steel. Now I need to drill 32 holes in the steel caster supports & paint them. I've spent considerable time measuring, adjusting, squaring, etc.; hope that pays off with less problems when finished!

I have several other items this weekend, so I probably won't get much accomplished over the weekend. Hopefully next week I will get the base on it's feet and really start getting assembly underway.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-casters-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-finished-base-jpg  
    Last edited by GigaWatt; 10-21-2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: content

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally got back to the build today after several distractions. I completed the caster installation and 2 neighbors helped me turn the base over. The base rolls easily on the big casters. I have the gantry risers bolted together and hope to have the gantry completed tomorrow evening. I also need to cut a piece of mdf for a lower shelf on the base.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-comp-caster-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-base-upside-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-completed-base-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

After 5 hours of uninterrupted work, here is where I ended the day. I'll be ready to start on the R&P Drive tomorrow morning. The only problem I've encountered so far is getting the grease gun to work that was provided with the upgrade kit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-gantry-comp-jpg  
    Last edited by GigaWatt; 10-27-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GigaWatt View Post
    After 5 hours of uninterrupted work, here is where I ended the day. I'll be ready to start on the R&P Drive tomorrow morning. The only problem I've encountered so far is getting the grease gun to work that was provided with the upgrade kit.
    Looks good so far! Keep the pics coming.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just finished another 3 hours of assembly. I completed the assemble and installation of the R&P Drives. I hope to have time this afternoon to install the cable track.

I have to give the guys at CNCRouterParts some praise; the assembly has been flawless at this point!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-drive-assembled-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-left-x-drive-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-right-x-drive-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-z-drive-jpg  

Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-z-drive-rear-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I worked another 3 hours this afternoon on installing the brackets, trays & chains. I may need to install another link in the y axis chain. Looks like the next step is running cables.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-cable-tray-brackets-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-tray-chain-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-x-axis-chain-tray-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-y-axis-chain-tray-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You will probably want to move the gantry tray more to the left so that the wires are carried until they go into the short axis raceway.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    You will probably want to move the gantry tray more to the left so that the wires are carried until they go into the short axis raceway.
    I've been concerned about the placement. The online instructions don't give any measurement for placement of the tray on the gantry. I installed the tray just based on the picture for that page. Also the small chain for the gantry tray came in 2 pieces with both being to short individually, so I had to piece them together. I then ran the Y Axis to both extremes of the gantry. All the way left the chain is not laying out flat so I may need to add a link.

I can't find cable routing instructions online.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GigaWatt View Post
    I've been concerned about the placement. The online instructions don't give any measurement for placement of the tray on the gantry. I installed the tray just based on the picture for that page. Also the small chain for the gantry tray came in 2 pieces with both being to short individually, so I had to piece them together. I then ran the Y Axis to both extremes of the gantry. All the way left the chain is not laying out flat so I may need to add a link.

I can't find cable routing instructions online.
    I found that I had an old version of the Assembly Instructions on my computer. I downloaded the newest version which has a "Motor-Sensor Connections" page.

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't even looked at the new upgrades yet. So far, my Vcon rails are doing everything I need them to do.
    I will be trying out some hardwood soon instead of plastics, so that may make a difference. The Z axis would be the first one that I would want replaced.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

After a 10 day delay due to minor surgery, I'm back to assembly this morning. During my break I discovered that 2 of the cables I ordered were to short, so Cory quickly shipped me the new cables. I finished pulling in the cables and have them temporarily attached to the control box.

After completing the cable work, I manually move the gantry to all extents and found a problem. During assembly of the base and construction of the base support structure, I took great pains in assuring all the members were square. When moving the gantry to the front of the machine, the left side lacked 3/16" hitting the bumper and had the same gap on the right rear bumper. I measured the base diagonally corner to corner and still had 64 5/16" each direction. I loosened the 8 bolts that attach the gantry beam to the uprights and easily squared up the gantry. Now the bumpers are being contacted equally front and back.

As LeeWay stated, I need to rig up some cable supports on the backside of the gantry beam. I'm also waiting on a shipment from 8020 that will include an additional cross member for the base that will also support vertical members to mount the control box on.

It appears at this point I'm ready for some computer setup and testing of the motors.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-cables-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-gantry-cables-jpg   Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-wiring-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You can just slide that channel over. Then move where the cable chain is attached. The chain is pretty much self supporting in that direction over a small distance.

Pro 4824 Build & Upgrade-gantry-echain-jpg

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

This morning I rechecked all of my wiring to make sure components were in the proper place. Then I tested the sensors and motors per CRP instructions and found all working properly. The Homing Test worked well. I couldn't find my micrometer however measuring with a 1/64" scale the gantry was only 1/64" out of square. When I find my mic I will run the Home/Square test again and adjust.

While I'm waiting for my water cooled spindle and 8020 parts to arrive I have several other projects to work on. First clean up my shop which is a mess from my basement remodel, then get started on a spoil board and a spring loaded plotting pen to use until the spindle arrives. I will need to spend some time watching Mach3 training videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast