Question on spoilboard attachement- Question

Thread: Question on spoilboard attachement- Question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Question on spoilboard attachement- Question

Never having done this before just curious if anyone would care to share their method for doing the spoil board attachment? I'm thinking 1-2 pieces of 3/4 mdf? How'd you do yours?

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Question on spoilboard attachement- Question

Hi bonesbr549, There are a number of good options depending on your machine and the kind of work you do.

3/4 MDF using M8-16 button head fasteners in .5" deep pockets is probably one of the more common setups (can get extra M8-16 fasteners w/roll-in t-nuts from our store --> M8 Roll in T Nut | CNCRouterParts)

Here is a link to our reference spoilboard project --> Benchtop PRO CNC Spoilboard by CNCRouterParts - Thingiverse

This is presented here as a Benchtop PRO 2'x2' project, however the Fusion and Vectric project files are provided and can be adapted to the size of your machine (if you want to use them, take a look at the included how-to videos).

I'm hoping to see other replies, we always like hearing about what others are doing!

-Nathan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm doing a 4x8 so lets see what others are doing.

If I may suggest nylon screws instead of steel.
    And here's why.

The bit cut right through the nylon screw.Mistake was caused by not resetting Z axis after bit change.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question on spoilboard attachement-  Question-dsc_1378-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by R-Carpenter View Post
    If I may suggest nylon screws instead of steel.
    And here's why.

The bit cut right through the nylon screw.Mistake was caused by not resetting Z axis after bit change.
    OOPS-Hey we all have done this, brass is good too. I only use brass to hold my work to the spoil board and it's saved many cutters.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have pics but...

We have a 4x8 kit built CNC from Build Your CNC (??) at our MakerSpace [URL="http://www.slomakerspace.com"] It holds a 49"x97" sheet of mdf. I used a biscuit cutter to cut slots in the edges of the mdf about every 10" then inserted 2" fender washers in the slots and screwed the washers down to the main table.
    Screws are totally out of the way of the bit.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i don't think i have pictures of building my spoil board, i made mine by drilling a 2 inch grid pattern and putting t-nuts in from the bottom. i attached it using a very similar method the video.

i thought that i would use hold downs with bolts going into the t-nuts, but 90% of my parts are screwed down the the sacrificial board on top of the spoil board now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

.75" MDF held down with m6 button heads and roll in connectors. The planks are bolted through the base board and help hold the base down.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For some reason it's not allowing me to open the files in fusion? Can you help me out there?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dajones9 View Post
    For some reason it's not allowing me to open the files in fusion? Can you help me out there?
    Make sure you are using the <file_name>.f3d file. Then at the top using the file menu (between the data panel and save button) select 'new design from file'.

In case folks haven't seen it, we recently updated our reference spoilboard project for large format machines (still configurable for custom sizes from 2' x 2' benchtop machines to 5' x 10' and beyond).
    PRO Series Spoilboard | CNCRouterParts

There are three sketches/layers - crossmember mounting pocket and slots, as well as optional geometry for bench dog/threaded wood inserts, and clamping slots.

-Nathan

Downloads
    Uploads

I actually drilled and tapped the aluminum extursions directly. Making it super easy to screw down the base board. I used 18mm Baltic burch for the base, then glued 3/4 MDF to the top for the spoil board. I am about 1/3 of the way thru the spoil board after 2 years.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a Standard 2448 machine. Nothing fancy here...I used a 2x4 pice of MDF. I clamped it in place over another piece of MDF to drill the holes and countersinks. I used the nuts and bolts from CNCRP. I then added a piece above that one to destroy. It needs surfacing now.

Oh, I used a couple of strips of 1/2 MDF to act as dust shields on each side of the 2x4 sheet. They are floating. Just wanted to keep dust from underneath the table.
    Tony