CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER

So for those of us who have the McLaren P1 of DIY CNC routers, formidable looks, heavy suspension, rack and pinion movements, quite belt driven transmission for all that raw torque! Built to plow a high speed bit deep and fast it also carries with it the grace and finesse of a hummingbird. Just one sample of a laser image from a PRO4848:
    CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER-clarkson-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK so finally some set up images. So if you have already done the laser set up for line art only using a vector program, then adding the DAC is way simple. The J tech web site shows what the DAC needs as far as inputs. All your doing is splicing the DAC into the system.

The MACH3 set up assumes a CRP800 with the smooth stepper and a BOB plugged into port 3 on that smooth stepper. How you run the ground, signal step and direction from the BOB to the DAC is up to you. I used one of the empty axis slots on the CRP800.

This is just a recap, setting stays the same for turning the laser on or off:

CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER-outputsignals-jpg

The A axis was set up to port 3:

CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER-motoroutputs-jpg

Motor tuning for the A axis has to be changed to this:

CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER-axis-jpg

Now with the DAC/PWM control you need a laser based program to make the code. J Tech worked hand in hand with PicLaser so for $40.00 take the easy way out and get that.

You need to set up the PicLaser settings to look like this:
    CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER-piclaser-jpg

A note on the pixel resolution. When you look at the set up info recommended by PicLaser they show a value of .006. I started out that way but by changing it to .008 and the image quality was improved. I think this may depend on some of the materials that you may be burning. Beam width may be a true .005, but if material on either side of that bean are charred it makes an effective .007 wide burn. Anyhow I looked an some of my first images under a 10X loop and decided that there was too much overlap. Yours make work best set at .006

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've not checked my inbox in a long time so a few folks sent questions and may feel a bit ignored. Hope the latest images answers most of the questions. One being the post processor to burn vector files made with Vectric software. I uploaded mine. It was created by a fellow named Tony and Mark, I just modified it to work with my Mach3 laser set up.

Download as text, then run notepad as administrator then save as a .pp file.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

I know this is an old thread however I'm ready to add a laser to my Pro4824 and have some questions for the posters that already have this setup. I'm considering using either the J Tech 2.0 or 2.8. I will use it mainly for engraving on wood however I would also like the ability to cut thin wood like 1/4" pine, plywood & hardboard.
    1. How are your setups working any changes?
    2. Is the 2 watt laser adequate for most work or should I go with 2.8?
    3. Do you have any additional comments that would help in installation, setup or use?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GigaWatt View Post
    I know this is an old thread however I'm ready to add a laser to my Pro4824 and have some questions for the posters that already have this setup. I'm considering using either the J Tech 2.0 or 2.8. I will use it mainly for engraving on wood however I would also like the ability to cut thin wood like 1/4" pine, plywood & hardboard.
    1. How are your setups working any changes?
    2. Is the 2 watt laser adequate for most work or should I go with 2.8?
    3. Do you have any additional comments that would help in installation, setup or use?
    I'm about to add my new 2.8w to my Pro4824 as well, but I'm still working out the details. I think I have the right connectors and parts and hope to have some time soon to put it together.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, Can anyone share pictures of how you mounted the J Tech laser to your CNC? Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

Not a j-tech or CRP-800 but you get the idea. A clamp around the bottom of the spindle, off to one side another clamp for the laser. I 3D printed mine but if you don't have access to one there's no reason you couldn't use the CNC to carve the same kind of thing out of an HDPE chopping board from the two dollar shop.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CRP800 + MACH3 + J Tech LASER-img_2622-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent, thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Cstmwrks, could you send me your Mach3 XML? I have the PicConvert and its giving me some issues and I would like to compare settings.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

excellent post ty

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice

Downloads
    Uploads

This is very interesting. What wattage laser is everyone using? How does a 7w diode laser compare to a co2 laser? I thought someone posted something about doing a 150watt upgrade is this a joke or real?

Thank you
    Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Comparing my 3W diode blue laser compared to the 50W CO2 at work is like comparing a butter knife to a bandsaw.

The little diode lasers will do some light marking and cut maybe 3mm balsa (if you go slow enough), will burn paint off metal (nice for marking out steel for grinding ) but won't really get near the cutting or fast engraving you can do with a CO2 laser.

Not just the power, but AFAIK the different wavelengths make a difference too.

It's apparently possible with some fairly pricey optics to stack a bunch of diodes to add up to a single output of 100+ watts, but I've never seen it and, frankly, if I needed that power I'd probably be looking at a dedicated machine with proper extraction and eye protection etc anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads

What I'd like a laser for is to engrave my logo on the back of products that I route.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

What material? The diode lasers will engrave timber and some kinds of plastic.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mainly wood, some pine & hemlock but mostly hard woods (oak, cherry, maple & walnut) and some PVC & Acrylic.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine won't touch clear acrylic, but it works ok on the rest. It took a bit of messing about to get working (multiple driver boards, a custom adapter to the breakout board on my machine etc) so if you're just wanting to get on with using it, the J-Tech looks pretty good.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i can't seem to get the images on here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12