Build Planning CRP4848

Thread: Build Planning CRP4848

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Build Planning CRP4848

So, I have a joes cnc 2006 and hope to purchase a CRP4848 in the next 2-3 months.

I am just looking for some feedback on the purchase.

I am primarly going to be working wood and plastics like most people, with the occasional aluminum cutting.

Should I go nema 34 or nema 23, is the extra grand worth it. Reason I ask, the speed benefit for the nema34 doesnt seem that great. When I get the CRP4848 at first it will just have a hitachi router on it, but eventually I want to go to a 2.2KW Spindle.

And I just noticed one of the suggested threads on this post. The nema 34 Uses 1000w of power. o.0

Probably going to go nema 23, the power out in the garage is questionable at times.

So if I go nema 23 should i get the low inductance 320oz/in motors or hold out for the 381oz/in motors on the g540?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by nlancaster; 03-24-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Build Planning CRP4848

I have the CRP4848 standard with Pro Drive kits, running an ESS + G540 @ 48 volts and the NEMA 23 steppers rated for 320.

I have absolutely no problems with this machine as far as speed or power. I can run rapids as high as 800 ipm but I have them set very conservative at 400 ipm right now.
    At 800 ipm, every great once in awhile it would miss a step or two, but I really didn't spend a lot of time tuning. I just dropped the rapids and carried on. I know I could go back and optimize it but I have had too much fun cutting and it's been fairly issue free and the 400 ipm rapids are honestly fast enough for what I do right now.

I run the G540 + Keling 381's on my small SX3 mill and they have done real well also, but a totally different application and gearing.

Richard

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've had the nema 23 (381oz) & G540 for a couple of years on my 48x48 and have no regrets. I'd buy them again in a heart beat. I've had the rapids up to 500 but normally run at 400 for rapids and cutting between 80-200ipm.

I've also done a bunch of aluminum cutting with it and it works pretty good.

My CRP 48 x 48 build [URL=]http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_source_cnc_machine_designs/144173-crp_4x4.html[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Now I am also exploring getting some new power run to the garage. would a 20amp circuit be enough for nema 34 + hitachi m12vc? When i get the spindle it would be on 220 we already have in the garage.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm running a 20 amp 220 volt circuit to my CRP4848's main junction box. That powers the following: Control Box, Computer, 3hp VFD and Spindle, and was also powering the 2hp HF Dust Collector but since I moved it outside it is now on a different circuit. So yes, if you have your VFD on it's own 220vac circuit, then 20 amps of 110vac would be more than enough. The dust collector would have to be on it's own circuit and would most likely have to be 15-20 amps depending on which one you get.

Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

Dust collection just going to run a ridgid 9amp shopvac thru a Oneida Air Dust Deputy, works great on my current cnc machine.

Last edited by nlancaster; 03-25-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

What about going with hybrid steppers? Would seem like a great way to get that little bit more accuracy in a machine, without costing a fortune.

Downloads
    Uploads

But they're not any more accurate.
    Steppers are very accurate. You tell them where you want them to go, and they go there.

Unless they're losing steps.

And unless there's a problem somewhere, you shouldn't be losing steps.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)