Build Thread CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build

Downloads
    Uploads

Finished the assembly this morning of the PRO4848. Had a few issues with the tension spring bolts on the pinon drives. After sorting the remaining hardware and a little trial and error I finally got it done. I believe my confusion came from looking at the drawings in the instruction and tips section of the cncrouterparts website. A few of the drawings were conflicting or did not match up. For example it shows the lower tension bracket going on the bottom hole when in some other pictures I found it located on the top hole location. No big deal got it figured out.

On to the electronics build with the Nema 34 DIY kit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello landarts and thanks for the thread.

How are you attaching the extrusions to the stand ?

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

That looks pretty ingenious! Are you building an extension in the end of the table to accommodate it or are you sacrificing router bed?

Www.eastbridgestudio.com

Hey Cyclestart, I also built a steel table. I am tapping holes in the steel and using l brackets to bolt it down. Thought I'd share

Www.eastbridgestudio.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a rough drawing below of how I am going to mount the 4th axis. It will be mounted on the front of the table so I do not lose any of my upper table cutting area. The headstock will be mounted just slightly lower than the sacrificial board so that there will not be any interference with items on the table top. I am working on a way to make it easily removable and stored below when not in use.

CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build-4th-axis-table-front-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot to answer the question above of how I am attaching the base frame to the table. I ordered 6 extra brackets from Ahren so that i can drill holes and tap for securement.

I finished up the DIY Nema 34 electronics this morning. I forgot to order a DB25 printer port with the a ribbon cable, so now that is ordered and when it comes in I will be firing it up for testing. For now I will work on order items for the 4th axis and begin working on the metal mounts for the 4th axis attachment.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a picture from this mornings work on the DIY Nema 34 electronics.

CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build-2013-12-29-14-27-59-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are a few more additional pictures of control box.
    CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build-img_9574-jpg

Power entry and disable switch
    CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build-img_9573-jpg

Emergency stop and Fan
    CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build-img_9572-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a list of the items purchased to finish up the CNCRP Nema 34 DIY kit.

-Control box which is 16x16x8 smaller than the one they sell - found on Ebay for $90
    -Power entry module - Delta Electronics mod.# 06AK2 found on Ebay $6.95
    -Male and Female A.C. plugs, rocker switch, power cord - Jameco Electronics
    -Terminal blocks - Radio Shack
    -PMDX-134, ribbon cable - PMDX.com
    -Ribbon cable with printer port - CNC4PC.com
    -12V 80mm fan - new left over from computer build
    -Wire and connectors - stock from my garage supply

Items left to do on control box
    -Mount ground wire
    -Finishing cutting out bottom plate to accept A.C. plugs
    -Attach 12 fan wiring
    -Figure out what I am going to use for proximity switch mounts in the box
    -Do paint touch ups - possibly will paint with the same paint I used for the table base frame - Rustoleum Hammered Silver

Downloads
    Uploads

4th Axis items needed for control box
    -Add additional Gecko 201
    -Add additional bulkhead enclosure connector

For the 4th axis which is really the 5th axis for the machine I will use output pins 14 & 16 on the PMDX-126 board. I may also add a disable switch for that particular gecko.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a draft of how the head of the 4th Axis will be attached to the table.
    -Support plate 1/4 metal with tabs front and rear of plate for alignment to the extrusion grooves
    -5 star knobs backed with roll in nut for extrusion for securing
    -Bottom support plate with 1 1/2" metal tubing notched at bottom and boxed for bolt to secure to tapped hole on table base leg
    -Wiring will run inside a small wire sleeve to table base and enter through grommet on frame - exit frame where control box is for entry
    -Tailstock will be mounted on similar support plate to allow it to slide in the extrusion groves and be secured in place by tightening 5 star knobs

4th Axis mount
    CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build-4x4-table-base-final-inside-index2a-jpg
    Tailstock
    CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build-4x4-table-base-final-inside-index2a-1-a

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Landarts, looks awesome so far...
    Will adding the 4th axis cut down on the cutting area of the 48x48 above?
    What diameter stock do you think you will be able to turn?

What is your impression of the VGroove bearings and new Linear rails design?

Downloads
    Uploads

The 4th axis will not affect the cutting area since it is mounted on the front of the table extrusion and is lower than the upper cutting surface. For now I will probably get up to a 6" diameter with the current styled mounting plates. I think the max would be 10" diameter since the z-axis hangs over the front a maximum of 5".

As for the VGroove and steel linear rails....it is a very good design, I believe it will hold to tight tolorance's and wear well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks really great! I can't wait to see the final results of the 4th axis.

Downloads
    Uploads

Finished up the electronics today....will be doing some testing in a day or so. Some of the parts for the 4th axis are in, still waiting on a couple more items before tackling the 4th axis assembly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nicely done. Its coming along great. I live your table, but the fact that it weight 300 lbs just hurt my back thinking about it.
    Your enclosure, what size is it ? you didn't get that from CNCR Parts did you? ( I wish my box was smaller like yours)

Downloads
    Uploads

The electronics box is 16x16x8, which I sourced from Ebay for $90. As far as the table being heavy, you want that so there is no vibration or movement of the table when it is running.

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome build! Thanks for taking the time to document it with all the pictures!
    I just started mine so going thru and doing my homework

Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

The lathe chuck and backing plate should arrive today for the rotary 4th Axis build. Once I have all the parts I will shoot some photos and provide some links if anyone is interested.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, please provide as many photos and links as possible. I have really enjoyed this build! I'm still in the planning stage trying decide how exactly I want to tackle everything. I hope to be ready and purchasing supplies by the end of this month though. I've been taking notes from your build, its really well done. In fact, I've contacted a fabrication shop regarding building a table just like yours providing them with the sketch you posted here (hope thats okay, I guess I should have asked first). They quoted me about $600 for everything including the casters and levelers, but excluding the paint. That seemed fair to me, but I have no clue.

I'm just curious regarding how you've mounted the base to your table. You mentioned using 6 brackets from CNCRP, I assume these are what you were referring to:
    Angle Bracket for 40mm Series Extrusion | CNCRouterParts

So are you mounting these on the inside of the base/extrusion to the steel tubing? Do you happen to have any pictures of this?

Keep up the good work. 4th axis is on my eventual to-do list so I'll be watching with interest. I also see you're from Idaho, I'm in SE Idaho. Always good to see other Idahoans.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast