PRO4896-34 planning and build log - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PRO4896-34 planning and build log

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PRO4896-34 planning and build log

I ran a 2/3 full nested 1/2" particleboard sheet with a 1/4 compression bit. I took everything nice and easy with precaution as in good spirits I wanted have a full success. Feed rate was at 225 and took about 30min to cut. I also had both stages on the vacuum turned on. I added a final depth pass to the gcode (onion skin) at about 0.02. I'll probably reduce it to 0.01 once I tram better, as I'm getting the common lip issue. The onion skin is pretty important when cutting a nested sheet like this. Do keep in mind you want to select smallest cut vectors first.

PRO4896-34 planning and build log-img_5444-jpg

I still didn't install a vacuum gauge so im not sure how much in/hg im pulling. However, I'm very happy with the way things are turning out, it works great!

Things to do
    - Tram again (haven't really spent time on it)
    - Auto Zero plate and touch off tools change plate
    - cyclone for the dust collector

Thanks everyone, stay tuned!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice!! Thanks for the documentation of the vacuum table. That's on the list of things to eventually do. Can I ask, in your video, what was your spindle RPM and depth of cut?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks groc426, definitely worth it! I can't wait to start production and feed this thing sheet after sheet.

I used the freud 77-202 1/4 compression bit at 24,000 RPM and 0.24 pass depth.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    I'm upgrading my current machine and will probably go with the pro4848. Your progress postings will help greatly. Would you be willing to share the g-code for the vacuum plenum you designed?
    Thanks
    Art

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello SeeSoe,
    Thanks for the great videos and build process !
    I like exactly how you built the Vacuum table.! When you first got the Hurricane, and now used it... What are your impressions?

Also, on a side note... a few times I noticed what looks like an imported laser machine? what brand / Power laser is it... and what would you say was your experience in getting it from oversees?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

alevitt53, I really don't mind posting the code, however I would strongly recommend that you code your own, as each machine is built differently. I did a 1 inch total border around the grids, 1/2 ball nose bit at 3/8 depth. If you're still interested I'll post the grid vectors only (minus frame and toolpaths).

Frankmali17, thanks! Yes the design seems the most straightforward and easiest to do. I really can't answer fully yet as I would like to see how much in/Hg im pulling first. I can say though with the nested sheet fully cut and onion skin cut away, the vacuum was able to hold down 0.75 inch wide strips and 1.25 inch diameter circles. I will but using it again this weekend and will keep you updated but so far love it!

Ah yes the laser machine! I bought it from Cole Tech Laser, however later I found out they are a secondary sales company :/ The real manufacturer is JQ Laser.
    http://www.cncoletech.cn/
    Jinan Jin Qiang Laser CNC Equipment Co., Ltd.-Jinan Jin Qiang Laser CNC Equipment Co., Ltd.

900mm x 600mm x 350mm (motorized z axis)
    80 watt water cooled co2 laser tube
    Came with rotary axis, honeycomb table, slatted table, water chiller, air pump, and blower fan for exhaust. (a lot of this is standard with these imported machines).

All in all with build quality of the an imported machine, JQ Laser had a fairly nice build! Now for the other half of the story, I bought it around early June and it arrived to the USA about mid July I think. I opted to have it only shipped to the nearest sea port as this saved over $1,000 in residential freight delivery. I also didn't fully hire someone to do the customs import paperwork which was a nerve racking few weeks as customs doesn't like to play. You need to make sure the company has legit company paperwork and certificate numbers. Also you need to make sure you have the right product number for the type of product you're importing. The FDA held my freight for a week while they looked into it more and I supply more info since it a radiological device. Of Course i didn't know any of this until each step of the process. There's a lot of hidden fees too, multiple warehouse fees, handling fee, container stripping fee, broker fee, customs fee, train rail fee, and so on. You can imagine what I went though as the company that started the import paperwork wasn't the actual company that exported the machine from china and the company responsible for it, and good luck getting a hold of them quickly. I take that back, JQ Laser is a good company, they always responded kindly and helped a lot, wish i could say the same for coletech.

I rented a uhaul and drove 2 hours to the nearest port to pick it up. turns out the freight went to New York port, then the container went on a train to to Tampa where they strip the container at their warehouse. The machine runs off 220v so I tapped off my CNC router's power to get it going (about August), and I yet to cut anything on it. I'm having the the worst time adjusting the laser beam path / mirrors to get it calibrated. The laser tube has been sitting on the dining room table for months now. I Plan on trying to calibrate the laser machine again once I finish the final touches on my vaccum table. I am at the point though where i'm so frustrated with trying to calibrate it that i'm offering $400 if someone can.

Downloads
    Uploads

SeeSoe,
    That would be very helpful...Thank you!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the details of your write up.

I really didn't stop to think how large the 4 x 8 unit was until I saw yours in action! I'm curious though, I know they are expandable, but I'm curious if its possible to get the 4 x 8 version and then only set it up as a 4 x 4 and keep the rest for expansion later? (I'm short on space, but would like the expansion - and I'm sure it's probably cheaper to get it as one unit now than get something smaller and try to expand it later)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

here is the dxf of the grid I made.

alevitt53, sorry about the late response for the file, got really busy last week.

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BrianJenkins View Post
    Thank you for the details of your write up.
    I really didn't stop to think how large the 4 x 8 unit was until I saw yours in action! I'm curious though, I know they are expandable, but I'm curious if its possible to get the 4 x 8 version and then only set it up as a 4 x 4 and keep the rest for expansion later? (I'm short on space, but would like the expansion - and I'm sure it's probably cheaper to get it as one unit now than get something smaller and try to expand it later)
    My pleasure Brian.

That is a good question, if you have any plans at all to run full sheets of material through the machine, I would recommend you try to figure out the space issues now and build a full 4x8. In theory yes it is expandable, the older models like mine use a splice plate for the side extrusions instead of full length extrusions. I believe this is the way CNCRP is shipping their current kits now. Something to think about is the frame of the machine now and after you expand it. Like I said yes it is sort of expandable but I don't think it is feasible to get a 4x8 kit and use it temporarily as a 4x4 machine. Give CNCRP a call and have a chat with Cory or Ahren, they will be more than happy to give you advice on how to go about this.

Downloads
    Uploads

seesoe
    thank you very much>>>that helps me out alot!!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seesoe View Post
    Got the rest of the plenum sealed and surfaced both sides and glued the spoilboard.

The color difference is when I ran out of oil based polyurethane.
    Attachment 262108

It was a lot of work sealing but I happy with the results. I might of been able to get away with one thick coating instead of two.
    Attachment 262110

Attachment 262112

While surfacing the top to allow the glue to stick.
    Attachment 262114

Surface before glueing
    Attachment 262118

Applied wood glue
    Attachment 262116

I put the spoilboard on top and turned the vacuum on for about 45min to an hour while the glue set. I then let it dry overnight and surfaced the top the next day.

My spindle is fairly out of alignment compared to my spoilboard before. I did some adjustments but it still needs more (still usable for normal wood projects)

I didn't cut anything yet but with one stage powered on seems to hold down sheet goods pretty good. I'll decide if i'm going to glue the pvc pipes together depending on the results and in/Hg im pulling, however i'm fairly certain I have all the connections pretty tight.

Things to do
    - Seal sides of spoilboard
    - Install vacuum gauge
    - align the spindle better in the xz and yz axis
    I love the write up you have done here. Nice and detailed with lots of pictures!

So I understand, did you surface the underside of the spoil board before you glued it on? Also, I assume you are sucking air through the spoil board using the grid in the plenum. Correct?

I have seen people stop at the plenum and use it as a spoilboard as well. Any reason you didn't choose this route?

Thanks,

-Eric

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seesoe I was seriously considering buying a pro 4896 from CNCparts . I found your table on there build logs and liked the fact that you built your own base as I would like to do the same . Much better for storage and mounting the electronics imo .
    I'm not liking how the metal rail that the gantries rack and pinion rides on is in two sections , but I guess there's enough adjustment to make it fairly seamless with there system .
    Do you have any regrets going with there router table, and is there anything you would change? I was going to go with the nema34 plug and play and they will soon have a spindle available . I have neighbors close to my garage and I understand that the spindle is much quieter .
    Sorry as you don't know me from Adam lol , but your one of the few people I can ask about there system .
    I like the idea of building my own with a kit as maybe in the future it will help with trouble shooting if there's any issues . It does look a little intimidating , but it looks as though your going all out .
    I live in Canada , Cranbrook BC to be exact so I am about a 7 hour drive from that company . That is what kind of swayed me to go this route as there the closest place I can find as almost everyone else is in the east .
    I almost went with a Probotix table but after seeing these I think Probotix is not quite as industrial looking . (Not to hurt anyone's feelings that own Probotix)
    I was almost debating to go with a 4'4' table and add at a later date if its to small to save on room for now . I am mostly interested in 3D pictures , art , maybe cut out speaker cabinets etc .
    Anyways thank you for any direction you can give me . Rick

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Seesoe

Thanks for the great write up and clear pictures.

As Eric pointed out I was also curious if you surfaced the spoil board side that was glued down?

Was there a reason you did not go for gasket rather than gluing the spoil board down, or is it easy enough to just rip up the spoil board when it needs replacing ?

Really nice job, well done

Cheers

Sean.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey everyone, I been in and out of the country really busy the past few months. I bought another mill to convert to cnc, so I'm keeping busy

CLaNZeR, HDTHEATER, I put the ULDF board on top of my plenum and opened all the zones and surfaced one side of it. Then I removed it, applied glue, put it back, and opened all the zones for a few hours to let the glue set. After all that I did another "normal" surfacing pass as you would on a regular setup. I felt that gluing it down was more reliable and easier to do. I felt that the gasketing system would give more trouble setting up. With the way I have it now, I just keep surfacing till I get to the grid and then glue another ULDF spoilboard on top again.

I been working on some small metal parts. I get a scrap piece of mdf/plywood, and put that on top the machine with the vacuum open only to that zone. Then I just screw down my metal stock to that as I did in the past. I've made similar jigs for other things as well.

TransAmGuy, there isn't anything I dislike about my machine. I know it might be hard to accept but just spend the extra few dollars on things and trust me it will make life a whole lot easier. This goes from dust collection to machine power. At the end of the day you will really enjoy sitting down and building your own setup and working with it to make your own parts that you designed on the computer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks, seesoo for the upload... cheers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123