cmm software

Thread: cmm software

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default cmm software

I plan on buying the hardware for a 3d digitizer. This is the one that mounts to the CNC and uses the XYZ axis to cover the surface and uses a touch probe. Does anyone know what software is used to automatically digitize the object? Since I plan on buying just the hardware, I need to know what else is needed. I still have not built my cnc yet.

Thanks,

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi George

I do not have an answer for this one, but I am interested in the concept of using a mill to digitize with, too. Where do you get info from for this?

Just guessing about how this would be work, I would assume that a person would have to write a cnc program to move the machine around a grid of coordinates. The program would also include a slow jog Z movement to move the probe at each location, with some sort of interconnect from the probe output to the cnc to stop the Z axis as soon as a signal is detected. At that moment the three coordinates would be recorded. Then the Z axis would retract, and the program would run to the next XY.

This would require a special cnc function, since most cnc's do not have a method of outputting position information. A PC based controller would likely be far more adaptable to this kind of process, in fact I know I could do it with the CamsoftCorp Pc-based cnc, except I have my installation done only on a lathe at present.

I'd like to hear input from some guys who are familiar with this kind of process. Come on, speak up, you know who you are

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

If you buy a Faro or Microscribe arm, Rhino can be used as your software. I've never done it, so that's about all I can tell you about it.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Digitizing

HU,
    Here you go. This is the place to start.

http://www.renishaw.com/client/product/PGP-897.shtml

There's several hours of reading here.
    (just had to use the banana)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by Dan B
    If you buy a Faro or Microscribe arm, Rhino can be used as your software. I've never done it, so that's about all I can tell you about it.

Dan
    Hey Dan, a Faro arm is worth as much as a second hand mill!

I'm still uncertain as to whether the Microsribe would be adequate, having had no experience with the resultant output.

I like the idea of using a mill to probe the part, since even a wobbly old mill will give much superior results compared to a Microscribe. I also like the idea of letting the thing do the probe routine all by itself.

Thanks, WMS, I'll check out that link you posted, too.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

MAXCNC is offering a digitaizer at an affordable price. If I understood correct they also sell the software.
    Their web addres is maxnc.com
    regards,
    GOMEZ107

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone heard of CopyCad from Delcam? According to the www site, it can use a probe and digitize an object. Does anyone know if this will be compatible with the MaxNC probe?

Downloads
    Uploads

George, You can't afford it!

Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

Downloads
    Uploads

For CMM type measuring on a vertical machining center consider the Metrolosys software from Shadow Automation 909 938-4336

NEal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found an affordable laser type ranger finder at http://www.aculux.com/ for $1080. Another is www.baumerelectric.com. I would go with the aculux. I just need to find software that will work with the aculux. I believe Art of CNC who is the designer of Mach1 is trying to make his mach1 work for aculux. As for using a CMM arm, it is too expensive. I good research project for me would be to build my own using extrusion aluminum for the arms and encoders to measure the arms angles. I believe programs like Rhino can convert points data into solid models. This is what my findings say I should go with.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Digitizer

Good morning,

We are a OEM that manufactures digitizers both portable and non portable.
    Our software will convert point data into lines and arcs. Plus we have
    CMM software that does simple measurements.
    It is best to digitize off line instead of on the machine.
    Most companies digitize off line because if your machine is not making chips it's not making money.
    Here is the link to the digitizers.

http://www.nemi.com/digitizer.htm

http://www.nemi.com/portable%20digitizer.htm

Have a good day.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cmm software-nemi-com2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a renishaw touch probe in my cnc machine. While it can pick up any dimension and list it in your offsets page. It can't pick up an entire piece or give broader shapes of any sort. Another problem being even a good cnc has a movement accuracy of about a tenth of a thousandth. That combined with any error in the spindle or probe you are using can create very inconsitant results.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I too have installed and used Renishaw and Marposs on Fanuc/ Fanuc based (Haas), Mazatrol(Mazak) and Osai controls in both routing, milling and turning applications. You all are correct in the theory. Rapid to discriminate point, reduce feed to feed at a "probing" speed, once the proble contacts, a skip signal is sent to the control assigning those coordinates. The primary use in these applications is for when one does not want to set up a positive mechanical stop or to verify machined diminsions on the machine and adjust tool offsets. The probe routines can be configured to store offsets, rotate the program to account for skew, change cutter comp. automatically, etc.
    To use it for a true digitizer would only present one problem, I can think of, on a proprietary style control.....volume of coordinates. This would require looped and intensive subroutines in which some controls may not be able to handle the actual volume of coordinates desired. On open architecture PC style control, this can probably be done with some good aftermarket software.
    Let me know what you all find, I may begin to offer a low cost alternative to probing using an articulating arm and its own software off my website. I was actually supposed to meet back with those guys last week and things came up. Would a "benchtop" style unit, articulating arm, with what I would consider meduim accuracy ( + or - .2mm) (+ or - .008in) be something any of you would be interested in? And what do you feel would be a fair price for such a unit?
    MarkT www.cnccustomservices.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is a company called Centroid who makes a setup to digitize with your CNC machine. It only works with their controller but it is pretty reasonable in cost. The main problem with trying to do this on your CNC is the controller either has to support what you are trying to do or offer a method allowing external software to drive it. You cannot do this effectively with a touch probe and you need to use an analog scanning probe. I am fortunate in that my CNC machine offers a analog scanner as an option. The biggest problem with all of this is that most of the software will only capture the data points. Then you have to have software that will allow you to import those points and create your part. I have done more research on this than I care to admit. I finally bought a Renishaw Cyclone to do it off-line. I also have a Microscribe and would use a laser scanner if it could get into the small parts I need scanned.

It all comes down to how much money do you want to spend...

Larry