My new machine...if I only knew how to use it

Thread: My new machine...if I only knew how to use it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My new machine...if I only knew how to use it

Hello all, here are some pic's and a description of the new machine I bought.
    I'm brand new to cnc milling...but starting to put the picture together. I could use all the input I can get. The X & Y axis are table movements rather than gantry and y-car. The Z is stationary.
    The table is 2 - 1/2" alum plate (1" thick). The x & y "tables" are 1/2" alum plate. The rails are 1" solid stainless rod with Thomson SPB-16 super pillow blocks. It's built like a Sherman tank and weighs 1200 - 1500 lbs or more???
    The spindle is a Precise (D-W5653 Leichlingen 1 Germany)
    Type S 65, 120v AC, .5 HP, 5.6 Amp, 45000 RPM
    The Steppers are Superior Electric Synchronous/Stepping Motors
    Type M091-FD09, 1.7volt, 4.7amp DC, 200 step per rev., hold 150 oz. in.
    It was being used with an older computer, 465 meg processor running Mach3. I thought I read somewhere that you needed at least 1 gig processor to run Mach. I plan on replacing the computer before running the machine. Does not look like a home built machine. The fellow I got it from had been using it but it had sat in his basement the last few months. Anyone tell me what I got? Good, bad, ugly? Any ideas on controlling spindle speed? Thanks!

--Rick

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new machine...if I only knew how to use it-cnc1-jpg   My new machine...if I only knew how to use it-cnc2-jpg   My new machine...if I only knew how to use it-cncstep-jpg   My new machine...if I only knew how to use it-snsspindle-jpg  

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a nice looking machine! They way it was built it takes up a lot more floor space than if the gantry moved, but if you got the space, it's great!

It looks like you have ballscrews too!

There is a program with Mach 3, called DriverTest.exe... you can use that to gauge computer speed, and check with machsupport.com to see if the computer is good enough.

You can probably get a manual for the spindle from Precise.

-Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good from a distance.

Wayne Hill

Downloads
    Uploads

two problems I see are nothing covering the moving parts, and very little working height. Other than that, it looks like a very stout machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not bad at all. For the spindle, I think you need to have precise controller for it. If your friend was using the spindle, see if he has the controller.

Regarding the working height, it looks like you could move the brackets on the zaxis upwards a bit and be fine. I am guessing you should have 2-4". Other option is to put some spacer blocks under the gantry base.

What do you plan to do with it? If by milling you mean cutting metals, I don't think the slides are meant for that. Maybe aluminum with very light cuts.

Yes, get a faster computer, they are cheap nowadays.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the little details such as the work light and joystick mounted on the gantry.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Thanks for all the input. I plan on using it for wood and maybe aluminum. Would you suggest rubber boots over the "threaded drive rods" (for lack of the proper term)? I'll definitely upgrade the computer before firing it up. I'm out of town and will be away from it for while so I'll spend the next few weeks watching Mach videos and asking a lot more questions on this site. Once I have a better understanding, I plan on building a larger machine with a movable gantry and y-car for larger work. This machine only has a 25" x 25" work area. I really appreciate all the knowledge and advice that is readily given from the members here. Thanks!
    Work Safe!
    --Rick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have one of those precise spindles on the way. The older models are just shunt wound brush type motors. Just plug them in and go and they will run at full speed. If you want to slow them down you can use a variac or one of the router speed controllers out there. Only the new brushless type need a special controller.

Have you seen how much these things are going for on ebay? I just got one for $300 and that was a steal. I have seen them going for $500+. Reliable tool had a bunch they just sold off.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Precise Spindle

Here is the email that I got from Precise;
    Hello Rick:
    The S65 model is a model that is out of production (obsoleted in 1999).
    I have sent you the operating manual.
    The typical speed control that we used with this spindle does not have any interfacing options. It was a very simply variable transformer (VARIAC), as you simply turned a dial on the front of the speed control to increase or decrease speed. If you can find a simple AC controller that can provide a variable voltage (0-120Vac, 60Hz) to the S 65 and be able to be interfaced with your CNC, then go ahead and use that.
    We are able to service this spindle for bearing replacement (roughly $1300). If the spindle needs an armature, we can only convert it into the SC 65, which has a brushless high frequency motor and requires the use of a new controller. Price of this conversion would be around $4500.
    Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Best regards,
    Paul Frederickson

I don't know what those Spindles went for but judging from the price of rebuilding, they were not cheap. The one I have runs fine. I can send you a copy of the operating manual if you need one.

--Rick