Need Help! SCM Record 120 File transfers

Thread: SCM Record 120 File transfers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SCM Record 120 File transfers

Hi
    I really need some help from anyone who might be already doing this or knows how to.

I have an old SCM Record 120 router with a NUM 1040 controller. It has a windows 3.11 operating system, Xilog 3 and NUM-MMI software installed.
    I need to be able to get a secondary PC connected to it for transferring files or drip feeding complex 3D programs from my CAM software.
    Has anyone done this with success on this controller ?
    The NUM manual certainly talks about a peripheral computer connection but i cant seem to make a connection. Maybe i have the wrong cable configuration.
    I have tried installing an ethernet card but this seems to create an error with the cnc communication.

Should i connect to the spare printer port that's next to the dongle on the controllers PC?
    Or should i connect straight to one of the NUM CNC RS232 serial ports?
    Do i need to run some DNC software on my secondary PC?
    Can the secondary PC be windows 7 OS or will it need to be an older OS like the controllers "windows for workgroups"?

If anyone here can help me out i will be over the moon. Feeling very desperate right now..
    I have tried contacting SCM in Australia but they couldn't help.

Thanks
    GG33

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SCM Record 120 File transfers

Quote Originally Posted by GG33 View Post
    Hi
    I really need some help from anyone who might be already doing this or knows how to.

I have an old SCM Record 120 router with a NUM 1040 controller. It has a windows 3.11 operating system, Xilog 3 and NUM-MMI software installed.
    I need to be able to get a secondary PC connected to it for transferring files or drip feeding complex 3D programs from my CAM software.
    Has anyone done this with success on this controller ?
    The NUM manual certainly talks about a peripheral computer connection but i cant seem to make a connection. Maybe i have the wrong cable configuration.
    I have tried installing an ethernet card but this seems to create an error with the cnc communication.

Should i connect to the spare printer port that's next to the dongle on the controllers PC?
    Or should i connect straight to one of the NUM CNC RS232 serial ports?
    Do i need to run some DNC software on my secondary PC?
    Can the secondary PC be windows 7 OS or will it need to be an older OS like the controllers "windows for workgroups"?

If anyone here can help me out i will be over the moon. Feeling very desperate right now..
    I have tried contacting SCM in Australia but they couldn't help.

Thanks
    GG33
    Have you had any success? I just picked up a Record 120 as well. Sorting out the bugs now. I am looking for a manual for the Xilog software, any suggestions?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No I haven't had any success yet.. But I am still searching for answers.. Currently trying to build a new PC to control the machine but getting hold of the correct version of software that will run on windows XP and that will talk to the machine is proving to be a real challenge even for the experts.. I got a case full of manuals with the machine, but it didn,t have an Xilog manual sorry..

Downloads
    Uploads

Its possible to replace with new pc, but its not so easy. You need to install xway driver and num tools and copy all plc data.
    Sometimes you need to change rs232 cabel for windows xp

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry83 View Post
    Its possible to replace with new pc, but its not so easy. You need to install xway driver and num tools and copy all plc data.
    Sometimes you need to change rs232 cable for windows xp
    NUM told me they have a PC replacement for our FT40 units for about $2k USD including modern software

dmitry83, do you have a record 120? We should start a knowledge base for the older SCM routers, 120-240 stuff

Downloads
    Uploads

No sorry i don't. What do they mean modern software? XilogPlus?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry83 View Post
    No sorry i don't. What do they mean modern software? XilogPlus?
    No Xilog is a SCM product, they are supplying you with NUM software to control the router.

When I spoke with SCM they even stated they dont use the XiLog software, they recommend using MMI_NUM