SCM Tech Z2 and software: hard to beleive!

Thread: SCM Tech Z2 and software: hard to beleive!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default SCM Tech Z2 and software: hard to beleive!

So a couple of years ago we purchased a brand-spankin' new Tech Z2 from SCM. When they placed the machine, they 'had' to downgrade the PC that came with it to Windows XP. Their argument was that their software didn't run on anything else.

Since then we have this one Windows XP machine running on our windows 10 network, causing more and more problems.

So we asked SCM group when there would be an update. No answer. After-sales service is non existent for SCM, so it seems.

We are still using the genio version with Autocad 2004 (came with the machine...), xilog and a buch of other older software.

My questions to you is this:
    -what software do you think we could use to run the SCM tech Z2, preferrably something that we can order from anybody else but SCM?
    -Are there more relatively new CNC machines out there still running on Windows XP in a network?
    -Why would SCM not give an answer when asked by a customer if they have newer software for their machines?

Similar Threads:

Service SCM BR

Default Re: SCM Tech Z2 and software: hard to beleive!

Hello Dear Colleague,
    I did not understand very well when you had to downgrade the PC.

Come on, let's see if I can help you.
    Until a few years ago the SCM ran only machines with WindowsXP.
    Nowadays it is possible to turn the PC with Windows 7 (32bit).

For as the model of your hardlock you can check with the SCM which version of XILOG PLUS and XILOG latest MAESTRO can be installed in this 'new' PC with Win7.

What is the reason for not using the Genio in your office or directly on the machine?
    Because Genio is an external software that is not produced nor belongs to SCM Group.
    ou can install on any PC with the requirements to run it.

So answering your 3 questions:
    1 - For the machine to function properly. You need machine PC with Windows7 installed and working properly with all drivers and updated netframework. Install a version of the most current XilogPlus compatible with your machine.

2 - Yes there machines running winXP in networking with other PC in the office PC for example.

3. What means of contact you are trying to get this information?

Contact the Service by Nr. +39 0541 700100 or by e-mail servicevv@scmgroup.com informing the serial number of the machine and informing
    your questions and requests.

Sorry for English by Google Translate

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Service SCM BR,

Thanks for your reply. That is (sadly) more than I can say for the dutch part of SCM.

I have no idea why the SCM crew decided to go for XP when in fact the PC came pre-installed with Win 7.
    So, as I understand it is possible to use a windows 7 machine, provided that it has the correct drivers for the Tech Z2, a properly functioning ethernet connection, and XilogPlus (most current version).

I will try to get in touch with SCM Netherlands... try to find a normal Phone number... Well, not on the regular contact page, but through Service, contacts.

Maybe SCM could place the necessary files for machines online on their own website? Like every other company does? So with a nice menu where I pick the machine, enter the serail number and I get a nice list of manuals (don't get me started..), drivers and programs?

Ah well, I'll get in touch with my boss, tell him the good news!

Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't count on it being a no cost upgrade.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Service SCM BR

Hello Dear thor2002,
    I that I can help I will be available with your TechZ2.
    I do not know the SCM Netherlands but would recommend direct contact with the SCM Italy to you may get a faster response.

But something that has something you'd like to know.
    What is the problem you have the machine running WinXP?

Because TechZ2 (running PanelMac, Xilog Plus and Maestro Xilog perhaps) needs only the LAN network with one or more office PC and also internet for when you need a remote assistance TeamViewer.

What is the Serial Number of the machine?
    What version of PanelMac and Maestro?

There is a website which has some files in reference to the serial number of each machine, but it is restricted to employees SCM

Take and make a full backup of the files
    C: / Kvara and C: / Program Files / Scm Group and save on an External Hard Drive

Downloads
    Uploads

SCM Service BR, Thanks! I will have to look into the serialnubmer next week since I work at different locations.

Downloads
    Uploads

thor

around 95 my friend bought a window - door machine from scm

the machine worked like a dream.. but software was some kind of quirky thing..

after the local dealer didn't answer for something, I wrote an email directly to the Italian factory..
    next day the dealer early morning called and he find immediately solution..

please note a dealer might makes 20-40 percent or more on the machine they sold you
    so he has much interest to serve you

the reason for the old computer because the machine itself has a ""brain"" a closed plc

they will not redesign over and over..
    but , scm has many different program for you

look for maestro programs, and youll find you need
    possible wont be cheap but will work

I would suggest NOT to run from office, but from the computer next the router.
    you can transfer drawings to machine and operator toolpath it.

try to email them and they call back your dealer if necessary
    click on this link

S.C.M. Italy Customer Service s.r.l.

Service SCM BR

I see no problems in having a LAN with PC Office.
    I have several customers using Cad-Cam software in the office and sent over the network to the PC machine and then making the reading by barcode reader.

Via iPhone of the Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Well,

had contact with the dutch dealer. They had a look into their systems and 'provided' us with a scribbled paper that ought to prove they had sold the SCM Tech Z2 wit a windows XP machine.
    Well, oke. But what they then offered baffeled us. They offered to place a new PC in the Tech, even when the PC they put in there in the first place is a windows 7 PC. After some debate they stated that they could also send a tech, who would then be busy for an estimated three hours.
    Now, we certainly do not have tocomplain, but we did have a crisis and had to lay off a couple of good guys. So money is kinda' tight. Spending quite a few bucks on a guy, sitting next to a PC tor three hours, fiddling his thumbs while Windows & is installing.... I could do the same, I reckon.

So I have figured out we need to make a backup of a couple of folders (as mentioned before), install Windows 7 on the PC, get the correct drivers (this is the hardest part) for our CNC and put the folders back.
    Am I correct?
    As for the machines specs, the data are as follows:
    S/N AA 1/016478
    Mod. TECH Z2 ESACAN_PC
    w.d TZCAN_20
    N. 2991182124H Ref. 114168
    Un 400V 3+N fase, 50Hz
    In 37A Ik10kA
    Data14-04-2011 (wow, 5 years old already!)

Let's see if we can get this puppy in the next age by ourselfs!

Downloads
    Uploads

SCM North America logs into our machine PC with Team Meeting and can set it up without being here.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Service SCM BR

Yes, you is correct about backup.

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry... Imagine that! But it looks like SCM Netherlands would rather earn a quick buck, than have customer satisfaction.

The thing is, how hard is it to provide a simple link to the drivers and a quicky tutorial on how to install the lot? Look at how regular printer companies operate. As far as I can see, any CNC machine is 'just a fancy' 3d printer (to put it bluntly).
    Should we totally screw things up, we can always opt to contact service and get them to help us out. But come on, we are talking about something as simple as installing windows 7 (done that about 273 times without a hickup), installing some drivers, restoring three folders and installing the programs that we already paid for.

As far as connecting through Teamviewer... Seeing that SCM used to work on XP, I am surprised they know about that (no offense, SCM US! the dutch seem to lag a bit)

Service SCM BR

Hello dear colleague,
    I understand your dissatisfaction however, so far not understand the real reason to change the Windows machine PC.

What is the problem to continue with XP?

Because as I said I have many customers working with XP on the machine and 7 or 8 in the office and did not have any compatibility problems.

About CNC resemble a 3D printer I disagree a bit.

About link to drive not see the need since today after u install Windows most of the hardware already be plug_play.

Tutorial, no machine manufacturer for wood will provide tutorial to a person who have not sufficiently proven technical knowledge to know how to solve when the "tutorial" does not work properly.
    The Homag, Biesse, Giben, IMA, etc also do not provide tutorials to a nontechnical without knowing the person on the other side.
    Because sometimes in trying to help can make the problem worse and the blame will fall on the manufacturer.

But when the machine is installed on the client's technicians SCM install the software on your office PC.
    If you followed the installation when the machine was new then you know how to install.
    Or who learned should have passed on this information to you.
    For the office installation for direct installation machine only change the communication port that is COM and is declared in the software installation.

If you followed the installation of the machine then just install Win7 PC,
    Everything working properly and then install Xilog as taught in the installation of the machine and the communication port COM1 you declare.
    But following the other previous steps as the coach showed the machine installation.

But one big problem I have is that when I install a teaching machine to operador_X and after 6 months call me the operador_W wondering something I had been taught to operador_X and that it did not pass the operador_W information.

In your opinion what should be done in this case?
    The right is a new training agree?
    But customers as you do not want to pay the technical and then push the failure to SCM rather than take the blame for not passing on knowledge to new entrants.

This is one of the reasons that I when I am scheduled to install a new machine demand that at least three people to participate in the training.

What will need to make your installation will be the PC with Win7 (English) worked perfectly.
    The Xilog installation CD and Backup of Folders: SCM GROUP and KVARA.

With these four things in hand you can start the operating system upgrade procedure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Service SCM BR,

we would like to switch from XP, because updates for XP will terminate soon! This PC is connected to our network ánd internet.
    Without updates any XP machine will become vulnerable for hackers. So our network becomes vulnerable.

At this moment all our machines in our network are Windows 7 (or W10), running Autocad and Genio. But to keep things 'safe' we kept the SCM out of the network for safety reasons! This means that a gcode file must be stored in the cloud, then opened on the SCM PC.

I would agree that in an ideal situation three persons would attend a 'tutorial' on how a Tech Z2 works! But we don't need a tutorial for a CNC machine; we would like to see a small guide to see what drivers/files are needed with what CNC machine. So, for instance, a PC connected to the SCM type ### would need files ####, etc.

And yes, I do understand that when there are problems, it would be wise to contact SCM and get a tech on board. But what if the company that bought the machine also have an IT departement? Upgrading a PC is not rocketscience, and they would only contact SCM if there are real, hard to solve, problems. And then it is no problem to spend a buck.

But correct me if I am wrong; if I take a new windows 7 PC with an RS232 connection (al functioning as it should), I only have to place Xilog on the PC and replace the files from the backup folders (and naturally put the dongle in the PC), it should run directly?

Service SCM BR

O XP já é descontinuado a algum tempo.
    Então se um hacker quisesse invadir a sua rede já teria feito.

E se o PC da Z2 está aberto para toda sua rede então está errado.

Pois normalmente somente 1 ou 2 PC do setor de projeto ou engenharia é que poderão visualizar a o PC da Z2.

Então como somente estes PCs estavam vendo o PC da Z2 a sua rede não estará comprometida.

Imagine que temos máquina rodando Windows98 em rede com Windows10 e isto não afeta emanada o resto da rede.

Pois o importante é o compartilhamento da pasta JOB do Xilog Plus e somente isto.

Por este motivo não entendo o seu questionamento em trocar o XP pelo 7.
    Quando vc não teve problema no XP.

Porém se um dia o seu HD ou até mesmo o PC da Máquina parar de funcionar, neste caso concordo com você de colocar o windows7 32bits em inglês no novo PC ou no novo HD.

Se está funcionando não mexa até que seja necessário.

Na teoria sim, basta instalar o xilog e depois substituir as pastas.

Service SCM BR

Sorry, i forget translate.

XP is already discontinued for some time.
    So if a hacker wanted to invade your network would have made.

And if the PC Z2 is open for all your network then you're wrong.

Because usually only 1 or 2 PC design or engineering sector is to be able to view the PC of Z2.

So as only these PCs were seeing the PC Z2 your network is not compromised.

Imagine that we have machine running Windows98 networking with Windows 10 and this affects not emanating from the rest of the network.

For the important thing is sharing the folder JOB Xilog Plus and only this.

For this reason I do not understand your question in exchange for XP 7.
    When u had no problem in XP.

But if one day your HD or even the PC machine stops working, in this case I agree with you to put the windows7 32bits in English on new PC or new HD.

If you are working do not move until needed.

In theory yes, just install the xilog and then replace the folders.

Service SCM BR

Hello, is ok my friend?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thor2002 View Post
    So a couple of years ago we purchased a brand-spankin' new Tech Z2 from SCM. When they placed the machine, they 'had' to downgrade the PC that came with it to Windows XP. Their argument was that their software didn't run on anything else.

Since then we have this one Windows XP machine running on our windows 10 network, causing more and more problems.

So we asked SCM group when there would be an update. No answer. After-sales service is non existent for SCM, so it seems.

We are still using the genio version with Autocad 2004 (came with the machine...), xilog and a buch of other older software.

My questions to you is this:
    -what software do you think we could use to run the SCM tech Z2, preferrably something that we can order from anybody else but SCM?
    -Are there more relatively new CNC machines out there still running on Windows XP in a network?vidmateapp.winmomix
    -Why would SCM not give an answer when asked by a customer if they have newer software for their machines?
    no reply.?