Need Help! Milling wood on a VMC designed for metal

Thread: Milling wood on a VMC designed for metal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Milling wood on a VMC designed for metal

Does anyone have any experience milling wood on a machine designed for metal? I've never done any woodwork, what range of RPM is wood milling done in? I assume i'll need tooling designed specifically for woodwork? The main obvious things i can think of is to obviously run it without coolant, set up a vacuum, cover the coolant drains. Are there any other issues i could run into?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milling wood on a VMC designed for metal

I was able to machine brass, stainless, walnut, ash, and white maple chess pieces on a Grizzly G0602 lathe using the same bit that I ground from a parting blade. The wood pieces had to be redesigned slightly to avoid the thin sections but other than that it worked well. I did not run the lathe much faster than when I ran the brass pieces. I also did not to run the lathe at maximum speed as I was concerned with excess wear though it may have been unfounded.

Best Regards.

Carl

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling wood on a VMC designed for metal-chesssetreduced-jpg  
    Last edited by cmnewcomer; 07-31-2015 at 04:46 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milling wood on a VMC designed for metal

Have you looked at the Gwizzard software? It is a speed and feedrate calculator. I seem to recall that Bob has some figures calculated for wood.
    Think they offer a free demo as well.