Help in getting a cnc machine

Thread: Help in getting a cnc machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help in getting a cnc machine

Hello.. first time here.. just wondering if i could get some feed back on cnc machine..

I am looking at this Australian Made machine(ART) vs German Made Machine (Homag - weeke) both are expensive stuff.. I wonder if im going in the right direction.

I have never used any cnc machines before and i am getting this machine to cut ply wood, drill holes on the side, and to lathe sofa legs, i also want to cut 4-5" foam and fabrics. Bascically i am trying to use the machine to reduce the amount of manual work when we build a sofa.

ART has a rotary but Homag doesnt. But homag machines looks more robust.

ART
    XR5000 SMART Router XR4800 CNC Flat Bed Routing Machine & Duct Cutter - CNC Router, Flat Bed Router, Router Table, CNC Machines
    Homag
    Vantage 43M
    Any help is appreciated.

Marcus

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help in getting a cnc machine

I can't comment on the quality of these 2 specific machines, but they look like solid, production level machines. Just understand that you can't do lathe work on a flat bed router like these that you use for cutting and drilling plywood sheet without adding another axis to rotate your leg spindles. I personally haven't seen a machine that will easily switch between ply, foam and fabric cutting. I'm not saying it can't be done, but at the very least you'd either have to have multiple z's for different type cutters for the different materials or you'd have to swap out cutters/fixtures to accommodate them. These types of materials normally require different cutting techniques and so a dedicated machine for the specific material would be more common. If someone knows of an "all in one" machine/system that can cut wood or foam or fabric easily, they should chime in. My quess is if it exists, it would be very very expensive when compared to a production cnc router. If you could work out a visit to a owner/shop who uses one of the machines you listed (or other make/model) and see it in use and discuss it's capabilities, pros and cons, it would make your decision easier.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help in getting a cnc machine

congrats!