3d wood routing... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3d wood routing...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Clan, that series of woodworking shows has no vendors related to CNC (unfortunately).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spent the last couple of days looking around sites for routers, woodworking and cnc stuff. Alot of people doing cnc, alot doing woodwork, not many doing cnc woodwork. And those that do are far away and or do not want to share their "secrets"

I do have a plastics shop pretty close by that will let me come by and check out how they do things but they just cut flat parts. (though they do some bending as well) Not so sure that will help me but it can't hurt.

On the CNC front I talked to a couple of the electrical-motion engineers here at work and they have offered their help in setting up the electrical package required for either Indramat or AB servos for me. (One has an extra AB 1000 touchscreen I can get as well) I have the opportunity to get Indramat MKD motors very cheap. (Our company has obsoleted them for the PPC style. Whatever that means:P) The servos seem to be a bit overkill in that they are 52 inch pound motors and run at 480 3 phase. However, I managed to pick up 20 transformers at an auction for $150. So if need be I can use them. Also got 10 Eurodrive gearmotors cheap at the same auction. Was going to make a hoist out of one.

Heh I get off subject easily. At any rate, I have been seing alot of routers for sale on E-bay and am researching what my real needs are for what I want to do.

Looks to me that my next step is still to find a show, or if none are available, a company to let me do some touchy feely.

Thanks for all the support so far

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I actually just got done making a very small first run try at a 3 axis machine. Bearings and screws seemed to work wonderfully. I do though wonder if you will have a terminduos amount of force between the side bearings and the top bearing. I would guess that as long as you laterally keep allignment it could work. Left over from my expereince I have a pair of bearings and screws which may work good for you. they may work with your idea. They are 37 inch long 1" dia , 4 turns per inch,route

Maybe you would like to take a look . I have posted all the information that I thought I needed to use them. But it was just going to be to big of a project.

Item number: 3804800919

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=3804800919

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Topographic vectorization Software

All, I found a software product called WINTOPO through Google. It vectorizes digital pictures. There is both a freeware and a professional version. The freeware does a very nice job of vectorizing the pictures. Also, BobCAD has a special going on right now - got version 19 for $495.00 a couple days ago. WINTOPO, BobCAD and TURBO CND should combine nicely into a rather capable set-up, don't you think? I have also ordered the HOBBYCNC driver/motor kit. Not too big but a good start I think. I'll let you know how it all works out. Using IGUS linear components for the table X, Y and Z axis. Precision ACME screws and nuts from McMaster-Carr and MSC. Total cost so far, software, hardware and electronics, about $1100. Now all I have to do is bring it all together.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Clan,

True 3D carving software is generally expensive.

However, VS3D is currently available for $975. It excels in 3D Virtual Sculpting, 3D carving, and 3D engraving.

VS3D can also perform image "embossing" (import a digital photo or scanned drawing and convert image brightness to surface height). VS3D performs all the sophisticated 3D tool offset calculations to optimize the cutting paths based upon the shape of the tool bit and the shape of the surface being carved. VS3D can be used for everything from jewelry to large concrete forms.

The VS3D home page is viewable at:
    http://www.DesignsComputed.com/vs3d

Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi dcarr,

Thanks for letting us know about your product. It looks very interesting and capable.

I will not have time to check out the demo for a day or two.
    Does it handle automated engraving of fonts with a v-bit. I have a friend that is just getting into sign carving and looking for an affardable solution that does not require him to draw the tool paths manually.

Thanks for your time.

Phill Pittman

phill@masterwerkes.com

Phill Pittman
    www.masterwerkes.com
    phill@masterwerkes.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3D wood routing of fonts

Quote Originally Posted by Carver
    Hi dcarr,

Thanks for letting us know about your product. It looks very interesting and capable.... Does it handle automated engraving of fonts with a v-bit. I have a friend that is just getting into sign carving and looking for an affardable solution that does not require him to draw the tool paths manually.
    ... Phill Pittman
    Hello Phil,

Yes, with VS3D can sculpt and carve fonts. Any vector or True Type font currently installed on your computer will be available in VS3D. You can sculpt the text in, and just cut out the letters with a V-bit (or other bit shape), or you can carve away averything but the letters leaving them in relief. Here is an example of that:
    http://www.designscomputed.com/vs3d/examples/md.html

And no manual tracing of the letters is required - VS3D can automatically find the centerlines of the letters, and will automatically (continuously) adjust the V-bit up and down to modulate the width.

Here is a detailed example process for carving an embossed "3D" digital photo in VS3D:
    http://www.designscomputed.com/vs3d/...mg_emboss.html

And here is one more example on carving the Eiffel Tower in relief from a 3D digital (DXF) model:
    http://www.designscomputed.com/vs3d/...el_relief.html

Last edited by dcarr; 09-06-2004 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Adding information
    Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12