Need Help! Sabre 500 spindle lube - grease vs oil differences

Thread: Sabre 500 spindle lube - grease vs oil differences

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sabre 500 spindle lube - grease vs oil differences

I have a Cincinnati Sabre 500 with a Heidenhain TNC 415 control. It is a 95 build with both the spindle chiller and DropsA spindle lube assembly on the rear. When purchased we were told the DropsA has never used oil in the 12 years they owned the machine. So they assume it was bypassed buy the original operators. The two fittings into the spindle carrier for oil have been blocked off so I believe the bearings must now be grease packed. The previous owner only cut steel at low rpm’s, so my question is will this arrangement be ok to run at 8000rpm’s ? and if not is there a difference between grease packed and oil lubed bearings? The machine parameters are set for 10,000 rpms so it may even have the optional spindle fitted. We are setting this up for mainly aluminium and need to use all the rpm available.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sabre 500 spindle lube - grease vs oil differences

Something is wrong with the DropsA unit because it should use oil. If the original owner blocked off the lube ports then the oil has nowhere to go. You should get a setup manual for the unit from DropsA and check it out for correct operation. The grease packed bearings are OK for the slower speeds but I would not run high speed without a mist lube for the bearings. I don't think that Cinci would add the DropsA unit if it was not required. You need to check the temperature of the bearings and not exceed 120 degree F.

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services