Problem Mill shuts off in middle of running it - no alarm -total shut down

Thread: Mill shuts off in middle of running it - no alarm -total shut down

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Mill shuts off in middle of running it - no alarm -total shut down

Hi Guys,Thanks in advance for any replies. I have a 95 Cinci Arrow 1000 with an A2100 control. I have an issue that just started today. The mill shuts off completely. The whole thing, not just the servos. No alarms. Once I go through the startup again it runs like nothing even happened. It has happened 4 times today. Twice this morning within 1 hour, then once an hour later. Then it ran for 4 hours no problem and did it again. Does this sound like the machine, if I get no alarms or fault lights? or could it be my transformer or ??Thanks again,Muggins

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mill shuts off in middle of running it - no alarm -total shut down

Bad breaker or loose connection in the power feed to the machine maybe? I normally look for problems like this with a non-contact infrared thermometer. Look for hot spots at breakers and connections. That would be where I would start. Intermittent failures are a PITA to troubleshoot.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I would look at the control power supply that fails often. When this happens you need to check voltages and look for the green light in the opening in the lower left corner of the control in the MEG panel. If the control power supply is bad it will shut down everything.

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by meckardt55 View Post
    I would look at the control power supply that fails often. When this happens you need to check voltages and look for the green light in the opening in the lower left corner of the control in the MEG panel. If the control power supply is bad it will shut down everything.

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Hello All,

Thanks for reply. Mike, It seems that the control power supply is my guess too. There is no light or sign of life from it and my voltage to the mill is fine. Do you know anyone who may have one? Or better yet, Have you had any success using a store bought power supply from newegg or your local pc guy?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Muggins View Post
    Hello All,

Thanks for reply. Mike, It seems that the control power supply is my guess too. There is no light or sign of life from it and my voltage to the mill is fine. Do you know anyone who may have one? Or better yet, Have you had any success using a store bought power supply from newegg or your local pc guy?

Thanks
    Hello Again,

I am going to start removing the control power supply. Is there any particular way to do this? I have had this all apart before , for a board repair, but I never had to get the ribbon cable off the main board and that looks a little tricky. Info is appreciated.

Regards,
    Muggind

Downloads
    Uploads

We have luck with the STARTECH . com brand of AT power supplies, just remember that the power supply runs on 240VAC not 120 VAC. Make sure you change the switch to 240 VAC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by meckardt55 View Post
    We have luck with the STARTECH . com brand of AT power supplies, just remember that the power supply runs on 240VAC not 120 VAC. Make sure you change the switch to 240 VAC.

Thanks. I got the power supply today and will install and let you guys know if that was the fix.

Regards,
    Muggins

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I got the power supply today and will install and let you guys know if that was the fix.

Regards,
    Muggins
    Ok, bad news for me. Replaced control power supply and still got nothing when I hit green button on control. Metered the a.c. in plug at the control ps. Got 158 volts. Should be 230. Is there a fuse along the way or what else could cause the lack of voltage?

Regards,
    Muggins

Downloads
    Uploads

Take a look at the electrical prints, you have one fuse for 1 phase of the 230 VAC line the other phase goes direct.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, bad news for me. Replaced control power supply and still got nothing when I hit green button on control. Metered the a.c. in plug at the control ps. Got 158 volts. Should be 230. Is there a fuse along the way or what else could cause the lack of voltage?

Regards,
    Muggins
    I was looking around in the elec panel and found this (see poc) that looks fried. It is located on the bottom right corner of the comm board. Looks to be labeled TB4-41 below it and TH1 above it. Could this be my problem? I don't recall seeing that before this problem. Any info as to what it is , and is it fixable, would be huge. Thanks

In deep trouble ,
    Muggins

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mill shuts off in middle of running it - no alarm -total shut down-20171012_164139-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply Mike,

I hadn't looked at the prints yet when I found that fried current limiting thermistor. Frank told me that might be what it's called, I never heard of it. Anyhow, would the thermistor cause this?

I will give the prints a look too. I am not the greatest reading them. Any help as to where the fuse may be would be awesome, I will look through the prints as well.

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just recently had a problem with my communications board, it was in the circuit for the 220 volt supply to the CPU power supply, blown fuse on one leg with the communications board becoming the fuse for the other leg. I was unable to confirm it, but I think the power supply in the CPU went bad and caused the failure in the Communication board. I was able to have my board repaired locally at a very reasonable rate by a lady here in Colorado. If you would like to e-mail me at bvcolo@yahoo.com I can get you her contact info! Have you found your fuses yet? they are in a rack, grey, left hand side as you are facing in to your cabinet, below the transformers.
    Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow eeyore View Post
    I just recently had a problem with my communications board, it was in the circuit for the 220 volt supply to the CPU power supply, blown fuse on one leg with the communications board becoming the fuse for the other leg. I was unable to confirm it, but I think the power supply in the CPU went bad and caused the failure in the Communication board. I was able to have my board repaired locally at a very reasonable rate by a lady here in Colorado. If you would like to e-mail me at bvcolo@yahoo.com I can get you her contact info! Have you found your fuses yet? they are in a rack, grey, left hand side as you are facing in to your cabinet, below the transformers.
    Bill
    Thanks for the reply Bill,
    I wanted to update the post as I have checked the fuses and found none bad. Is it possible that the thermistor on the comm board burned up without a fuse blown someplace else?