Y Axis Encoder Error

Thread: Y Axis Encoder Error

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Y Axis Encoder Error

Hey guys, I bought a really nice 98 Arrow 500. Thing is like brand new. Spindle sounds great and cuts really nice and accurate.

The issue here is with an intermittent "Y Axis Encoder Error"

Machine will run fine for 3 days, then get 2 or 3 errors in a day.

I would really like to get this sorted out.

Y Axis Encoder Error-20170802_133248_resized-jpg

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Y Axis Encoder Error

I work with biesse mainly but when this comes up 99% of the time its just a connection either dirty or the connector where wire goes into sensors faulty also had the sensor itself be faulty change with another sensor repeat

Downloads
    Uploads

This machine does not have an encoder in the motor if it has BLACK drives by KOLlMORGAN. It has a resolver in the motor and the drive converts the resolver feedback to encoder TTL feedback for the A2100 control.
    If the drives are BLUE/WHITE it has a KOLLMORGAN SERVO STAR drive that uses an encoder. The Y axis motor wires do not move with the slide so I would suggest a loose wire or a problem in the drive due to heat. Do you have the fans working?? Did you check the tightness of the plugs on the motor and the drive. Are you getting a code on the servo star readout??

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, it has the black drives.

I'm thinking abbot swapping the a axis drive from my other machine (I don't have a 4th axis) with the Y axis on this trouble machine to see if that fixes the problem. Do you see an issue in doing that?

Downloads
    Uploads

You need to look at the amps per phase and make sure it matches.

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure it does not have linear scales?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mike@@@KilroyWasHere.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Good point MIKE K. A dirty scale would cause the problem. I have not seen a resolver cause an intermittent problem like that. Coop31 needs to inform us about having scales or not before he switches the drives.

Downloads
    Uploads

I do not believe it to have scales.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coop31 View Post
    I do not believe it to have scales.
    IIRC, you would be comfortable with swapping the encoder option card inside the drive? With another drive? The encoder emulation card plugs into a header on top of the main pcb in the drive... you could swap two drives cards to see if it is the card. Or swap the drives of course to help identify where the issue is?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I would be cool with doing that with a little guidance. Ive got a couple days of down time on these 2 machines, so I think I would go for just swapping the drives for now to at least isolate the problem to something in the drive. Then I could swap the encoder option card afterwards to prove that it is the problem.

No as far as the 2 drives I want to swap, they both have the same model number (BDS4 206 23 412W32) so I should be good to go right?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I would be cool with doing that with a little guidance. Ive got a couple days of down time on these 2 machines, so I think I would go for just swapping the drives for now to at least isolate the problem to something in the drive. Then I could swap the encoder option card afterwards to prove that it is the problem.

No as far as the 2 drives I want to swap, they both have the same model number (BDS4 206 23 412W32) so I should be good to go right?
    RIGHT!

know the drive pots are tweaked to the axis so gains will be slightly off, but should let u test it... adjust speed scale pot if needed to get 1"/min/mil gain right (run 100ipm and adjust for .100" FE)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help guys. I swapped the drives yesterday and the machine ran back and forth in Y for 7 hours straight. Going to let it do the same thing again today. Hopefully that's the end of my issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help guys. I swapped the drives yesterday and the machine ran back and forth in Y for 7 hours straight. Going to let it do the same thing again today. Hopefully that's the end of my issues.
    Great! You know that some of us repair these drives so don't throw it away! It is worth fixing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    Great! You know that some of us repair these drives so don't throw it away! It is worth fixing.
    Yes, absolutely. You've fixed a couple for me in the past and I have sent a buddy of mine to you as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    IIRC, you would be comfortable with swapping the encoder option card inside the drive? With another drive? The encoder emulation card plugs into a header on top of the main pcb in the drive... you could swap two drives cards to see if it is the card. Or swap the drives of course to help identify where the issue is?
    Hey Mike, I opened up a drive to see about swapping the encoder option card. Looks like it is soldered to the main board. Does that sound about right to you?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Mike, I opened up a drive to see about swapping the encoder option card. Looks like it is soldered to the main board. Does that sound about right to you?
    Never mind... I figured it out. Lol I'll swap them out on Monday and hopefully that works.