Need Help! Spindle or Drive Problem Sabre 750 Acramatic 2100

Thread: Spindle or Drive Problem Sabre 750 Acramatic 2100

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle or Drive Problem Sabre 750 Acramatic 2100

Time for my annual request for help from the forums to troubleshoot the next new problem with my machine.

My Sabre 750 had been sitting for about a week when I went to run it today. I have a spindle warm-up program that steps the spindle up slowly from 500-2500rpm, and all seemed good on that. But when I went to run a program, things took a turn for the worse.

The first tool was a .750" end mill at 7500rpm. As soon as the spindle started to turn, there was a shuddering sound coming out of the spindle head. The best way I can describe it is it sounded somewhat like a power saw coming to speed while cutting wood. Once the tool got to speed, it ran OK. But when the spindle turned off and began to brake, it gave a similar but less loud shudder. When the next tool loaded and ran to 8000rpm, the same thing happened. So I shut it off, with the same shutdown shudder. My first thought was that the spindle had a bearing going bad. But turning the spindle by hand, and it all feels like butter. I really don't think this is a bearing issue.

So I shut it down and pulled the cover. I couldn't see anything obvious, so I rebooted the machine to move the X up to get a better view. When I restarted it, I could hear a buzzing sound coming out of the spindle. With the spindle off and when I grabbed the spindle, I could feel that the motor was actually driving to this ugly intermittent signal. The spindle was chattering back and forth in my hand. Not with enough force to really move the spindle, but enough to feel it with your hand. So I immediately shut it down.

After this bit of diagnosis, now I suspect that this is actually a spindle drive problem, and not a mechanical issue in the spindle head. There were no error codes given ,and everything int he cabinet showed green. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this one? As a note, the spindle drive is the only one of the five boxes in the cabinet that have not been replaced by me in the last 5 years.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle or Drive Problem Sabre 750 Acramatic 2100

Memory batt dead? 1 wk off... wierd stuff going on... try turn off on more cycles.amd see if you can get a good load? If, batt ID say.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mike@@@KilroyWasHere.com

Downloads
    Uploads

What would lead you to believe this is the memory battery? And the rest of your response is difficult for me to follow what you mean with the garbled spelling. What do you mean by "get a good load"?

BTW: I replace the WS battery about 5 years ago. The RT board does not have a replaceable battery, instead it has a "Benchmarq Real-Time Clock Module #BQ3287MT" as I called it in my notes to myself. I looked up the part # back then and asked about it, but no one on this board ever responded to me to explain exactly what that module is, or if/how to replace it.

BTWW: You have done the repairs on my last 2 drive failures, so I imagine you will get this work as well if indeed it is a repair.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like it could be the spindle belt or the pulley on the spindle motor. Look for a loose tool stud. Take an indicator and check the spindle bearing pre-load. Put the indicator on the face of the spindle without a tool in the spindle and press the unclamp tool button. You should have about 0.002' of movement. Put some die sinkers blueing on the tool and check the tool contact surface area when clamped in the spindle. We want 85 to 100 % contact.

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services