Need Help! VFS5 Fault Led - ERR 14 Power BUS - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFS5 Fault Led - ERR 14 Power BUS

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFS5 Fault Led - ERR 14 Power BUS

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    ok, tnx. Guess I do recall seeing that S C axis once...

ok on motor being disconnected, so not a short to ground.

Your BRAM chip: made in 1995, 9th week. 5yr design life. new replacements use lithium battery AND batt is NOT connected internally until >4.5v Vcc is applied the first time! Then its 10 yr guaranteed life begins...

I think you are well overdue for your VFS5 updated, cleaned, and various electrolytic caps replaced. If you have access to that larger drive, my opinion is go for it. I would not worry too much about differences - either it will be stable and work or it won't. Course I can't be responsible if you overheat the motor as these are just my opinions. ILIM is 0-100% of peak current limit; you could set it to ILIM 50 and see if it is remembered thru a power down... I don't recall if motor TL file is reread on power up or not...
    Hello Mike,

I want to understand, what is the content of this BRAM? Parameters? Firmware? When i connect with motionlink i can see parameters, so if it have a bad battery, i will not see the parameters or i'll see default one? Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seraum View Post
    Hello Mike,

I want to understand, what is the content of this BRAM? Parameters? Firmware? When i connect with motionlink i can see parameters, so if it have a bad battery, i will not see the parameters or i'll see default one? Thanks.
    all parameters and programs and motor data file. vfs5 is like a big dumb computer. on power up, we load the program into RAM and run it from there. the batt also keeps track of all variables on power down. so when batt goes south, the load gets loaded slightly corrupted. a little more corrupted as time goes on until the machine needs 100 power ups to get a good load then eventually no re power ons will get it to work.

If you want to try just a BRAM change, we can try that; we recently did one with a customer in Australia: just sent them reprogrammed chip they plugged in and got machine back running. In there case, this first try at sending just chip, they ended up with acc/dec rates messed up (aka, different) and none of us could figure it out long distance via email. He reprogrammed rates he could live with (different than they should be!) and has a good machine again. So no telling if that was some fluke or we could do it again and make it all work.

Of course you seem to have OTHER stuff going on too that does not seem explained by a BRAM batt failure. The encoder to a2100 comes from HARDWARE conversion of RESOLVER R/D HARDWARE CHIP: so your confusing enc sigs from noise do not seem related to BRAM issue.

Your previous UV also seem too different from normal BRAM issues. But we know you never got a new BRAM from your exchange 2 years ago since it is date coded 1995, so you can expect weird issues. If you want p&d on the chip and want to try it with no guarantee it is going to fix all your problems, PM or email us - Dennis does pricing and such and they don't let me get into that anymore!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    all parameters and programs and motor data file. vfs5 is like a big dumb computer. on power up, we load the program into RAM and run it from there. the batt also keeps track of all variables on power down. so when batt goes south, the load gets loaded slightly corrupted. a little more corrupted as time goes on until the machine needs 100 power ups to get a good load then eventually no re power ons will get it to work.

If you want to try just a BRAM change, we can try that; we recently did one with a customer in Australia: just sent them reprogrammed chip they plugged in and got machine back running. In there case, this first try at sending just chip, they ended up with acc/dec rates messed up (aka, different) and none of us could figure it out long distance via email. He reprogrammed rates he could live with (different than they should be!) and has a good machine again. So no telling if that was some fluke or we could do it again and make it all work.

Of course you seem to have OTHER stuff going on too that does not seem explained by a BRAM batt failure. The encoder to a2100 comes from HARDWARE conversion of RESOLVER R/D HARDWARE CHIP: so your confusing enc sigs from noise do not seem related to BRAM issue.

Your previous UV also seem too different from normal BRAM issues. But we know you never got a new BRAM from your exchange 2 years ago since it is date coded 1995, so you can expect weird issues. If you want p&d on the chip and want to try it with no guarantee it is going to fix all your problems, PM or email us - Dennis does pricing and such and they don't let me get into that anymore!

----------
    Hello,
    I have resolved the problem of S encoder parasite, it was a cable inside the VFS5 that was too close to the Resolver converter card. The problem of powerbus is not resolved. Now il will try what @Rich has proposed.
    Also i will try to contact Denis to make me an offer for reloading the BRAM.

Last edited by seraum; 07-06-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seraum View Post
    ----------
    Hello,
    I have resolved the problem of S encoder parasite, it was a cable inside the VFS5 that was too close to the Resolver converter card. The problem of powerbus is not resolved. Now il will try what @Rich has proposed.
    Also i will try to contact Denis to make me an offer for reloading the BRAM.
    UPDATE:

I have exchanged the drive with a good one, and the spindle start. So it's not related to the PSR4.
    After exchanging also the NVRAM the problem still.
    I have found some pin difference in PIN configuration. Just one connected in the good drive and for the other it was disconnected. See the pic.
    Thanks.
    UPDATE:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFS5 Fault Led - ERR 14 Power BUS-img_2575-jpg   VFS5 Fault Led - ERR 14 Power BUS-img_2574-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Connector 10 (2 pins) is a thermo sensor input.

The thermo sensor located next to IGBTs has to be connected to it or it has to be jumpered.

Normally, it is jumpered and thermo sensor signal is routed through option card to external controller to disconnect power in case the drive overtemps.

So, if it is jumpered, thermo censor is connected to the option card and internal thermo protection disabled.( Milacron configuration)

Or the thermo sensor should be connected to it (standard Kollmorgen configuration).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12