A2100 Realtime board BIOS help request

Thread: A2100 Realtime board BIOS help request

Downloads
    Uploads

Default A2100 Realtime board BIOS help request

All,

I'm helping a friend sort out an unhappy Mighty VMC with the A2100 control system. The HD is working fine as it boots when installed in another computer. The problems is that I believe he pulled the CMOS battery out of both the WS and realtime boards to replace it while troubleshooting a dead encoder & axis drive. The drive and encoder are now fine, as is the WS board after we fixed the BIOS settings back to factory.

Having perused every thread I can find on the RT board subject, it appears that this was a bad idea and his RT BIOS needs to be re-set, if not reflashed.

I'd like to help him get this fixed. I have access to an old IBM-style keyboard, floppy (if needed to flash), monitor, video card (ISA and PCI available), and power supply. The problem is that I have no clue where to hook up the power supply on the RT board.

Any suggestions on how to power the board so I can see if it's just the BIOS settings or if it needs to be flashed? Having looked at every photo of RT boards on CNCZone, this appears to be a more modern version (no part # handy right now) as it has a CMOS socket and a PCI slot in addition to the 16-bit ISA slots and single 8-bit ISA slot.

Thanks much,
    Ralph Christy

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: A2100 Realtime board BIOS help request

So here's what I think is the power port for the realtime board. Any suggestions on hooking up a power supply?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A2100 Realtime board BIOS help request-img_3351-jpg   A2100 Realtime board BIOS help request-img_3352-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Power hooks up just like any other AT board. Just need an old power supply to hook up to it.

If you're interested you can send board to me and I'll reflash it for you. I do charge a nominal fee for it (I don't post amount in case I ever need to change it), and usually have it on its way back to you the day after receiving it.

If you are interested, send me a PM with RT board part number.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did (just) figure out that it's an AT PSU pinout (P8/P9) and found an $8 ATX to AT cable adapter on fleabay. We'll have a whack at it in a few days and see if I can let the smoke out.

Thanks very much for the offer, I may have to take you up on it if I can't get it sorted out from here. I'll post results either way.

Regards,
    Spumco

Downloads
    Uploads

Since it sounds like you haven't done it before, make sure you get the power hooked up properly. Connectors are not keyed and plugging them in wrong crosses the voltage and can burn out the board turning it into a very expensive repair.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The black wires on the two connectors go side by side in the middle.

Downloads
    Uploads

you will find details to connect an ATX power supply to an AT motherboard in this thread
    to replace a Hurco VMX30 power supply
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hurco/...facturing.html

photos can be found here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jexmfg...7627526248221/

to switch on an ATX power supply connect the Green power ON wire to a Black wire
    A2100 Realtime board BIOS help request-atx-psu-motherboard-jpg

AT motherboard connections
    A2100 Realtime board BIOS help request-power-connections-jpg

note-
    all the Black wires are together - see photo 6 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jexmfg...7627526248221/

and the ATX power good wire is Grey
    but the AT power good wire is Orange do not confuse it with the ATX Orange 3.3V wire !

John

Last edited by john-100; 02-28-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Actually AT supplies are still around. Having two Arrows we keep half a dozen of these on the shelf.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-010-_-Product

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bob

your forward planning is something too many people fail to do

your lucky with the AT power supply

in the UK the price of an AT supply makes an ATX supply and adaptor cable more cost effective
    even when the adaptor costs ÂŁ12 ($9.60)
    | RS Pro ATX Connector, 20-Pin ATX to 12-Pin Molex (P8 AT, P9 AT) 200mm |

John

PS
    a quick search for a new 400W AT power supply resulted in $ 40 to $50 US imports

Last edited by john-100; 03-01-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: add PS

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maver1ck View Post
    Since it sounds like you haven't done it before, make sure you get the power hooked up properly. Connectors are not keyed and plugging them in wrong crosses the voltage and can burn out the board turning it into a very expensive repair.
    <br><br>Mavr1ck,<br><br>I have a 1999 Arrow 1250C with the A2100 I have been having an issue with the RT board I PM'd you my board is 3-424-2169A03 REV B SN 33987695 I have the RT board on the bench and powered up with an old PS I have a keyboard hooked up. Im not getting a VGA signal from the Generic 8mb ATI rage XL PCI VGA&nbsp; CL XL B41 video card. can you point me in the right direction on this please. I have 2 boards the original problem with this machine was the RT error system fail 8004d the real time msg service thinks the realtime is not responding. could this be from the RT clock 32.768 crystal. has anyone tried to de solder and replace that crystal?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have already replied to your PM, but noticed this is on a completely different topic than the issue you described there.

This looks like you are essentially saying your RT board won't pass the POST test. Are you getting a POST response from the board telling you what the fault is? This could be a problem with any of the components you are using...power supply, CPU, RAM, Motherboard, Video Card or even a bad keyboard can cause it to not respond. Try isolating the components to see which might be causing the issue. If this doesn't help, probably send the board out to be tested by someone who does this regularly (i.e. Siemens, Cincinnati, or me).

If you are referring to the Dallas chip that was used on a limited number of these boards, yes, I have reflashed these boards after the customer replaced it, or I have had them replaced here for customers before reflashing and sending the boards back. I would not expect this alone to prevent your board from completing the POST, but have seen them lock the BIOS before so I suppose it is possible.